Bringing Wine - Corkage Fee?

I know that recently Royal introduced a corkage fee so just checking...

1. If DH and I each have our own bottle, do they charge $15 each (so $30)? Or $15 / table?
  2. If we open the bottle ourselves in our room and bring it to the MDR, are we still charged?
  3. Is the charging enforced or do the waiters often let it go? Anyone know specifically about experience on Mariner?

Our upcoming cruise is a 4 day cruise on Mariner so if they are going to charge us an extra $15 or 30, then may not be worth it to bring out own. But if no charge, then still great to bring our own.

the fee is per bottle and I am going to be the dissenter and say that we have always been charged in the dining rooms

bringing just a glass in will not incur the fee. the bottle will, regardless of how open or even full it is.

Thanks. Seems pricey. And a bit tacky walking into the dining room with a glass of wine?

Would love to hear from others if they have been chartor not...and what ship.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Thanks. Seems pricey. And a bit tacky walking into the dining room with a glass of wine?

Don't worry about walking into the dining room with a glass of wine or a cocktail. Many Diamonds and up get a free drink at the bar before entering. You will see many people doing it.

I’ll kick it off.....

I have not been charged at any venue on Jewel or Independence or Navigator.

I overheard a waiter explaining the corkage charge on Radiance so assume they were doing it there

As for walking in with a glass (or 2); yes done it many times!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were a group of 8 that sailed in Adventure this past March and brought bottles to the dining room on three of the nights. We were never charged a corkage fee. We always met at a bar to have a cocktail before dinner. We quite often brought our drinks into the dining room with us.

Great...so some have had luck. On Allure (before charges introduced) we just had them store our wine at MDR. Will need to see then what we do on Mariner (and Symphony next year).

I walk in with a glass in each hand from the bottle in my room. I've never felt tacky.

When the fee first rolled out, they attempted to charge me on Adventure for a bottle that I had just won at the Meet n Mingle...There was no sticker on it. It didn't go over well.

... And a bit tacky walking into the dining room with a glass of wine? ...

I don't agree, it seems quite normal to see people carrying cocktails, glasses of wine, beers, into the dining room.

Not at all tacky. They suggest that you take a glass on your way out of the Diamond Lounge to bring to dinner.

Thanks. Seems pricey.

The purpose, on ships or land restaurants, is to offset the loss of profit from not selling the bottle of wine.

Since a glass of wine is around $10 or more, $15 for the bottle is not really that bad.

The purpose, on ships or land restaurants, is to offset the loss of profit from not selling the bottle of wine.

Since a glass of wine is around $10 or more, $15 for the bottle is not really that bad.

Yeah...plus price of the bottle so need to calculate if its worth it.

Thank you all. Good to know that this is common and not tacky. Guess my issue is that I don't cruise often enough to know this. ;)

You will find the same thing in restaurants on land. Bring in your own bottle of wine, and you may be charged a corkage fee.

Makes sense. For us, we're not big drinkers though so no need for us to bring our own bottle to a restaurant. We just purchase by the glass or half bottle. On a cruise, we like to have a glass with dinner so a bottle will last us over 2-3 nights....By bringing our own, we can bring what we like and it's not super pricey for a bottle.

Remember, you can bring 2 bottles per cabin, as long as at least one quest in the cabin is 21 or older.

If you have a cabin for 6, you still one get 2 bottles. :D

Here is an interesting perspective.

My kids just went to dinner at an upscale restaurant in DC.

Corkage fee for bringing their own bottle?

Want to guess?

$50

:o

Not at all tacky. They suggest that you take a glass on your way out of the Diamond Lounge to bring to dinner.

That is hit and miss from ship to ship. Used to be they enforced the "no food or drinks taken out of the lounge" rule...which was posted near the door. But now, they are pretty lax about it.

Many times we have been at the lounge and waiter asked if we wanted a "topper" on our wine as we were about to leave for dinner.

While we don't even think about it, as we always take our glass of wine in hand to dinner, IMHO...I don't push it by with coming in with one in each hand. Actually on a rocking ship...sounds dangerous anyway. :o

I don't agree, it seems quite normal to see people carrying cocktails, glasses of wine, beers, into the dining room.

Plus one ^.

And is kind of nice to sip and enjoy if we are delayed in line waiting for our table. :cool::wine-glass::wine-glass:

Question: Do they still bring you the corkscrew to open a bottle yourself if you ask? If I bring a bottle to MDR to share with my table and we open it ourselves, is there still a fee?

The fee is not for opening the bottle (in spite of the name), it is for bringing the bottle to the dining room. I suspect they will not want to have you open a bottle of wine in the dining room as it reflects poorly on the wait staff.

Question: Do they still bring you the corkscrew to open a bottle yourself if you ask?

If you want to do that, ask your cabin steward for a cork screw and bring it with you to the MDR.

Biker, who would let the waiter open the bottle.