It looks like the Rotterdam is Prinsendam's successor

weselka

The post-Prinsendam itinerary for the second half of 2019 is now available with the Rotterdam doing many of the cruises (the "Explorer" cruises) previously done by the Prinsendam. But the Baltic Explorer will not include sailing through the Kiel Canal.

I am excited by Rotterdam's Trans Atlantic repositioning cruise in November, 2019, which includes stops in Barcelona, Casablanca and the Canary Islands (amongst other ports) before reaching Ft. Lauderdale.

The post-Prinsendam itinerary for the second half of 2019 is now available with the Rotterdam doing many of the cruises (the "Explorer" cruises) previously done by the Prinsendam. But the Baltic Explorer will not include sailing through the Kiel Canal.

I am excited by Rotterdam's Trans Atlantic repositioning cruise in November, 2019, which includes stops in Barcelona, Casablanca and the Canary Islands (amongst other ports) before reaching Ft. Lauderdale.

I like the Rotterdam and have sailed on her a few times. My heart still remains with the Prinsendam though. Think I'll have to book a final cruise on her in 2019.

Sorry, nothing to do with the Prinsendam, no pool etc.

As the Rotterdam is considered the co-flagship of the fleet (along with the Amsterdam), it seems logical for her to take over as many of the Prinsendams itineraries as possible. Her larger number of Neptune and Pinnacle suites is probably also a factor as opposed to the Volendam or Zaandam.

It's just too bad that we can't waive a magic wand and undo the travesty done to her upper aft decks a few years ago, that might make the transition for some easier. That back "pool" is a huge negative. It's better after her most recent drydock, but still not as good as her original aft deck was, with a proper pool and ample open, uncluttered deck space.

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

I can't see the Rotterdam doing some of those itineraries, she's 61,000 gross tons v the Prinsendam's 38,000.

Correct. Her itineraries are modified to only go to the larger ports where most ships can go. So, Rotterdam's itineraries will be somewhat similar, but not the same by a long shot. There were a number of ports that only the Prinsendam can go to. They will be eliminated, sadly. :(

Nonsense. No comparison. Rotterdam is doing Panama Canal cruises from Oct 2019 through March 2020. Prinsendam did not repeat itineraries. Forget comparisons to Prinsendam. Quit trying to make Rotterdam something she isn't.

Nonsense. No comparison. Rotterdam is doing Panama Canal cruises from Oct 2019 through March 2020. Prinsendam did not repeat itineraries. Forget comparisons to Prinsendam. Quit trying to make Rotterdam something she isn't.

Jeepers. Couldn’t you have found a nicer way of saying it?

Rotterdam as co-flagship is a very special ship Despite them mutilating h er aft. They should not have touched her aft pool but , what is done is done. I have sailed Rotterdam since her very first New Yyears cruise in the fleet and for Chrstimas and New years cruises for the Millenium. GREAt cruises. I think her clocks specacular.

We were on Rotterdam, the fist time she sailed into Rotterdam :)

Very fun and special. :)

Edited by sail7seas

How sad, The Prinsendam has long been our favorite HAL vessel. As to the "Rottendam" it is a very poor substitute. The Rotterdam was a fine vessel until HAL started making "improvements" and turned her into the "Rottendam."

Hank

I don't even understand how you could find Rotterdam itineraries after July 1 on HAL's website.

We have had our June, 2019 collector voyage cancelled because the 2nd half was to sail July 1.

It is worth noting I read about this on Cruisecritic fully 7 days before HAL had the courtesy to notify me and my travel agent. I also found out at that time that at least one cruisecritic member had been re-booked on the Rotterdam July 1 sailing. We were offered no such option. (I guess being a 5-star mariner has little influence on HAL.)

This situation had been aggravated because ever since I found out on July 2nd, HAL's website has blocked off all post-July 1 sailings from their cruise planning tool. Almost 2 weeks now. So how are we supposed to even look for an alternative? So I'm baffled when other cc members make reference to Rotterdam sailings...?

And now, for the past 24 hours or more, the planning link on HAL's website won't work at all, and the log-in link won't work.

HAL has really dropped the ball on this.

I hate to think we'll have to abandon HAL after all these years, and abandon the 5-star perks, We are sailing on the Voyage of the Vikings in 5 days, and I'm going to be particularly critical of our experience.

This current situation, along with other recent issues, has left a bad taste in my mouth...

We have a sailing on her 3/20. We booked Volendam past March onboard The Massdam when we did South America. Panama Canal FLL. Our goal was to pick up a TA to do the Med. As a lot of other CCers we now are on The Rotterdam same itineraries but a 10 days earlier.

Been researching and she will drop us off on March 27th, and we have our fingers crossed she will do the TA!!

It’s not till 2020, but we hope she’ll do a TA.

This will be our first on her. We were scheduled April/19 to do The Prinesdam TA but had to ca due to DH business abroad. Was excited to try her out.

Hope The Rotterdam will be nice will see,

Denise 😊

The ms Rotterdam will indeed sail from Amsterdam from July till October 2019. The Zuiderdam will take over the Voyage of the Vikings from Rotterdam to Boston in July-August next year.

According to the Passenger Terminal Amsterdam website the ms Zaandam will visit Amsterdam in august 2020. I'm very curious what HAL has in mind for 2020.

I think it i best if we quit looking for a replacement and just deal with the fleet left. Yes there will be changes to itineraries due to the P'dam moving on but none of the ships can or will be a replacement per say. HAL doesn't want that either, if they did they would have kept her.

Jeepers. Couldn’t you have found a nicer way of saying it?

Well, really.

With Prinsendam gone, HAL does not have a former luxury liner.

With Prinsendam gone, HAL does not have an 850 passenger ship.

With Prinsendam gone, HAL does not ship small enough for the Kiel Canal.

With Prinsendam gone, HAL does not have a ship with walk in closets.

With Prinsendam gone, HAL does not have a ship with "free" laundromats.

With Prinsendam gone, HAL does not have a ship that can reach some smaller ports.

If you want to dream of a Prinsendam replacement, dream of HAL's buying a used luxury ship that has many of Prinsendam's features.

Well, really.

With Prinsendam gone, HAL does not have a ship that can reach some smaller ports.

If you want to dream of a Prinsendam replacement, dream of HAL's buying a used luxury ship that has many of Prinsendam's features.

I am not — and have never — dreamed of a Prinsendam replacement. I have no emotional attachment to it.

Well, really.

That would be a dream come through...

Well, really.

Take along just 350 more new best friends and enjoy the Maasdam EXC In Depth cruises.

A luxury ship with walk-in closets and free laundromates is a hard to beat combo.

Will Rotterdam still sail out of Tampa? I like that port for a number of reasons.

I agree and really like sailing out of tampa. Its a good embarkation/ de bark port, IMO except for the possibility of moning fog which happens from time to time and can delay arrival of the ship in port

Nonsense. No comparison. Rotterdam is doing Panama Canal cruises from Oct 2019 through March 2020.

I know that Rotterdam is taking up some of Prinsendam's itineraries. For example -- there was a cruise in October 2019 on Prinsendam (14 days R/T from Civitavecchia) that I was considering, it visits Israel, Limassol, Crete and other Med ports. Folks on that roll call have been told Rotterdam will be doing the itinerary now.

Take along just 350 more new best friends and enjoy the Maasdam EXC In Depth cruises.

A luxury ship with walk-in closets and free laundromates is a hard to beat combo.

Oh for crying out loud.

Your Exec in depth tours are for you - not for all of us. Some of us just want to go to the ports the others don't close up. No need for zodiacs.

Sorry, been a long day. but, please, get off the Maasdam with a few zodiacs. That doesn't make it an Elegant Explorer IMO. Nor a replacement for the Prinsendam. Each to their own.

Edited by kazu

Well, really.

+1. Totally agree. I doubt there will ever be a replacement.