Cruise experts, I need some help!

judyf

What better place to ask for help then here from all you cruise experts.

I'm taking a pass or fail course for 5 days on giving presentations starting next week. At the end I have to give a presentation :eek: on something not work related but that we are passionate about.

So guess what I think I will pick? You guessed it cruising. :D

Now for the help, I haven't started the course but we have to submit my info before the class begins and then we can change it.

1st - I need a catching title, I'm looking for some unique suggestions. :D

2nd- what part of cruising should I talk about? It's a 20-30 minute presentation. One idea I had was as if it was for first time cruisers that have no idea where to begin. Another one, I don't like as much was tips or tricks but can't really think of a great way to lead into that. I'm open for any and all ideas. :)

3rd - I need to maybe add audiovisual, handouts (I thought some of you might know some websites where I can print some handouts.) , audience interaction and I must conclude with a summary of the main points.

I'm hoping I will get some great ideas from fellow cruise lovers. I might also convert others in the class to cruise lovers.

Please help me get moving in the right directions with lots of ideas!

I think alot of people have no real idea what a cruise is all about...so how about a "day in the life of a cruiser".

Take a typical day at sea and start with getting up in the AM and either having breakfast in room or going out and then proceed with the day as it unfolds.

I think when people realize the vast array of options, they may decide that your passion is well founded.

Good luck.

Can you make some sort of fruity drink ( with or w/o alcohol) and put some umbrellas in them.

You could also serve Chips Ahoy Cookies

or more extensive food if place and budget allow.

This is a fun topic, keep us posted on what you

decide.

Not unique but maybe this will give you ideas to expand upon, "All Aboard" or "Anchors Away", I would cover eating venues since I think that is what draws most first time cruisers along with entertainment provided, for tips refer audience to this Board to explore on their own, emphasize that all cruise lines "herd" millions of people through the process and beleive it or not just show up and you will be taken care of and find your way eventually, just learn port and starboard, aft and front for a beginning.

Judy, I guess there's nothing wrong with brainstorming - when it's a group project - but hey this is your deal. Why with all your posts and cruises under your belt would you need to solicit ideas? Sorry, but that confuses me. It's just like in school; pass or fail by your own doing. KWIM?

Thanks for all the great ideas, Please keep them coming, I will keep you posted.

Sorry if this bothered some, I have tons of ideas. But just thought it would be great to get new ideas from others. Then I will put them all together for hopefully a great project.

terrymtex01, I would love your ideas!!!!

Thanks

Thanks for all the great ideas, Please keep them coming, I will keep you posted.

Sorry if this bothered some, I have tons of ideas. But just thought it would be great to get new ideas from others. Then I will put them all together for hopefully a great project.

terrymtex01, I would love your ideas!!!!

Thanks

I would either try to find the average cost of hotels on a national average, or, try to use an example of how the least expensive decent hotel will run you $xx.xx. Then include say gas costs if you were to use a road trip as the example (since most cruise liines go to different ports, a road trip goes to different cities, etc). Then factor in the cost of food, entertainment (shows, movies) and anything else you can think of. Then show how much that would be PP PD. Compare that to the cost of a cruise for the same seven days for like an inside cabin or maybe even an outside stateroom. I am not for sure where Hudson Valley is, but be sure to include the cost of transportation to the port of NY as that would only be a fair comparison. Run with it. I wish I had a project like this to do. I talk people's heads off at work about cruising. A guy just yesterday asked me for info for an Alaskan cruise.. basically wanted to know who would be best to cruise with for Alaska..He just wanted an idea, I sent him what would equate to two pages worth of info, if he were to actually print it. LOL

:) " ALL HANDS ON DECK" OR "MUSTER TIME"

Talk about how each Island has its own personality and cultures, the influence of the French, English, Dutch, Spanish, Portuguese and Africian. Looking at your been there done that you should have a good feeling on the above.

You could hand out copies of the Freestyle Daily with highlighters and ask each person to "map out their day". It would be interesting to see what different things people would choose to do (or not do).

What better place to ask for help then here from all you cruise experts.

I'm taking a pass or fail course for 5 days on giving presentations starting next week. At the end I have to give a presentation :eek: on something not work related but that we are passionate about.

So guess what I think I will pick? You guessed it cruising. :D

Now for the help, I haven't started the course but we have to submit my info before the class begins and then we can change it.

1st - I need a catching title, I'm looking for some unique suggestions. :D

2nd- what part of cruising should I talk about? It's a 20-30 minute presentation. One idea I had was as if it was for first time cruisers that have no idea where to begin. Another one, I don't like as much was tips or tricks but can't really think of a great way to lead into that. I'm open for any and all ideas. :)

3rd - I need to maybe add audiovisual, handouts (I thought some of you might know some websites where I can print some handouts.) , audience interaction and I must conclude with a summary of the main points.

I'm hoping I will get some great ideas from fellow cruise lovers. I might also convert others in the class to cruise lovers.

Please help me get moving in the right directions with lots of ideas!

I have actually done this! Our financial counselor asked me to give a 15 min. talk on cruising to a group of his clients. It was my choice on which direction to go. Since many of the audiance had never cruised I decided on a PowerPoint presentation (of our pics) that showed the different aspects of cruising ... and dispelled some of the negative myths (ie, I will be so bored on a ship for that long, the staterooms are way too small, etc.). I also lured several of them with pics of exotic ports of call.

I'm a Cruise Consultant and two couples booked onto a group cruise I had going at the time. :)

It was sooo much fun ... talking about my passion. I found I did not have nearly enough time to cover everything ...

Have fun!

~dianne

You could also mention the number of web sites dedicated to cruises (not including the ones from the lines themselves). That alone will open some eyes as to how popular cruises have become. Many many many (33 to be exact) I did a presentation on cruises for a public speaking class I took in college. It was as easy as cake once I got into it because of the love of cruising. I think the title was "To Sea or Not to Sea -That is the Question". I compared the cost of a week on the cruise ship to a week at a resort. Got an A.

Archived