Msc drone policy?

tjlj

i cannot find where msc allows or prohibits drones to be allowed on board to be transported.. anybody know where the policy is? carnival allows them... so I'm hoping msc does too... thanks tony

Didn't Jimmy and Amanda have one with them? I am sure they used it in some of their videos in the Good the Bad and the Ugly thread?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I have to say if I saw a drone I'd report it and ask for it to be confiscated.

Using one I would point out is a clear breach of privacy and also security.

Don't pack it!

We thank you for your vigilance on this matter.

I have to say if I saw a drone I'd report it and ask for it to be confiscated.

Using one I would point out is a clear breach of privacy and also security.

Don't pack it!

No its not, and I will bring mine for the islands. If they need to hold it on sea days that is fine with me.

Privacy in your room and thats about it.

Oh snap!

Cuervosar overdosed on the caffeine this afternoon.

So drones, and the great privacy debate.

I'll preface this by saying I agree 100% with what most cruise lines seem to be doing re: drones. They don't want them flying all over the ships, so if you want to bring one along, check it with security, and you can take it off at the ports to do with what you will.

That policy is spot on. While I'd love to do a quick fly by of the ship in the middle of the ocean, I get it and I'll abide. (For what it's worth I also dress for formal night and would never wear shorts in the MDR. I'm a rules kinda bloke.)

Of course as soon as that argument is made, everybody on CC becomes an expert in international law vis a vis aerial drone photography in Costa Rica, Belize and all points beyond.

Reality check: I paid near a grand for this thing, I think I'll check the local rules, regulations, laws, and customs myself thank you very much.

Most likely the real issue, as it often is, is fear of the unknown.

For some reason the drones scare people. Too much Fox TV? I have no idea. And the complaints usually revolve around privacy, noise & danger. I'll deal with each.

Noise I get. Yep, my little drone has 4 props and they kick up a storm. Of course once it is about 100 feet away, virtually silent but yes it is noisy up close and yes it could be annoying. Probably one of the minor reasons the boat doesn't allow them to fly. So they're not on the boat, and your noise issue is moot.

Danger? Yep, if I happen to fly it into your head, you're going to get some lacerations. Again, liability is on me, and another reason I'm grounded on the boat. Interestingly the FAA in the US requires all drones of the type to be registered for some reason. Surveillance State much? This despite the fact that I can build a model rocket capable of flight to a mile high and a mile downrange or a 1/4 Scale Remote Control P51 Mustang without so much as a wink and a nod from the Federales.

Now, think about where the greater danger lies there... (And I could mount a small camera in either if I wanted.)

But again, banned on the ship so your argument is taken care of.

So, that leaves us with privacy. My favorite argument.

Are you somehow concerned that I'm going to fly this thing out your cabin window because this I how I get my kicks? Honestly, have you looked at yourself in the mirror lately?

Supermodels travel on yachts, not MSC, Celebrity, Royal or Carnival. No real need for me to go peek a boo in your cabin mate.

And have you no idea of the power of a 300mm lens perched on the front of a Digital SLR?

If I were into counting your nose hairs from a range of 75 meters, this would be my tool of choice, not the noisy drone I'd have to fly to within a meter of your face to accomplish the task. And with the big lens on the SLR, you'd have no idea I was there, as opposed to 4 props and 4 electric motors alerting you of my presence with the drone.

So what exactly are your privacy concerns here? (Or dare I ask, what is going on in that cabin? Shades mate, pull the shades.) Short note on privacy; if you are out of doors you have none. Chester and his lens could be anywhere, ask a celebrity of your choice.

So please, privacy freaks, it's not the drones you need to worry about. We're interested in big picture panoramic type shots. You and the Mrs. are probably safe from us. If the question comes up re: drones on ships. Let us know it is going to be confiscated at boarding, we can check it out at port, and use at our own risk in foreign locales. We're big boys & girls, we'll figure it out.

And if you're wondering what shots were chasing, take a peek (!?) here...https://youtu.be/vlDzYIIOYmM

That is what I'm after.

BooYa!

(drops mic and moonwalks out of forum.)

Edited by Cuervosar

Look, unfortuantely there are those out there who are very interested in capturing images of other people.

Not all are totally innocent.

I am sure you can imagine what families are worried about.

If MSC doesnt have a drone policy - I am sure it wont take too long for one to be developed.

In this day and age, security of all aspects is too important.

Edited by Ember50

• 1 month later...

I think most people who ask about drones on ships aren't looking to actually fly their drone on the ship, but use it in ports. There are some amazing photography and videography opportunities in the world. We live on such a beautiful planet.

That being said, if the rules are drones are not allowed, then people may have to find a different way to transport their drone to capture what they are looking for.

I do think there is a bit of dronephobia though.

I checked MSC's website it does have a drone policy - it says drones will be confiscated.

This is security advice that in the current climate I am sure all of us would be very grateful exists.

Items forbidden on board

Port Security has the duty to search Guests and luggage to confiscate any article internationally known as dangerous for the safety and security of Guests, Crew and ship. Such items will be confiscated and not returned. Alcohol, firearms, sharp objects such as blades and scissors, flammable and explosive material, items with heating elements or open flames (e.g. clothing irons, kettles, hotplates, candles, incense), drones. If explosive material, guns or illegal drugs are detected, law enforcement will be immediately alerted. MSC Cruises will be forced to deny access to any guests not complying with these mandated regulations. In the interest of health and safety, beverages and food (including partially eaten or home cooked items) may not be brought on board either. Exception: dry, packaged and commercially produced foods.

I think most people who ask about drones on ships aren't looking to actually fly their drone on the ship, but use it in ports. There are some amazing photography and videography opportunities in the world. We live on such a beautiful planet.

That being said, if the rules are drones are not allowed, then people may have to find a different way to transport their drone to capture what they are looking for.

I do think there is a bit of dronephobia though.

Edited by Ember50

Cuervsor - I'm not an expert on any law - I just read the rules before spouting off.

FROM MSC's website:

Items forbidden on board

Port Security has the duty to search Guests and luggage to confiscate any article internationally known as dangerous for the safety and security of Guests, Crew and ship. Such items will be confiscated and not returned. Alcohol, firearms, sharp objects such as blades and scissors, flammable and explosive material, items with heating elements or open flames (e.g. clothing irons, kettles, hotplates, candles, incense), drones. If explosive material, guns or illegal drugs are detected, law enforcement will be immediately alerted. MSC Cruises will be forced to deny access to any guests not complying with these mandated regulations. In the interest of health and safety, beverages and food (including partially eaten or home cooked items) may not be brought on board either. Exception: dry, packaged and commercially produced foods.

Oh snap!

Cuervosar overdosed on the caffeine this afternoon.

So drones, and the great privacy debate.

I'll preface this by saying I agree 100% with what most cruise lines seem to be doing re: drones. They don't want them flying all over the ships, so if you want to bring one along, check it with security, and you can take it off at the ports to do with what you will.

That policy is spot on. While I'd love to do a quick fly by of the ship in the middle of the ocean, I get it and I'll abide. (For what it's worth I also dress for formal night and would never wear shorts in the MDR. I'm a rules kinda bloke.)

Of course as soon as that argument is made, everybody on CC becomes an expert in international law vis a vis aerial drone photography in Costa Rica, Belize and all points beyond.

Reality check: I paid near a grand for this thing, I think I'll check the local rules, regulations, laws, and customs myself thank you very much.

Most likely the real issue, as it often is, is fear of the unknown.

For some reason the drones scare people. Too much Fox TV? I have no idea. And the complaints usually revolve around privacy, noise & danger. I'll deal with each.

Noise I get. Yep, my little drone has 4 props and they kick up a storm. Of course once it is about 100 feet away, virtually silent but yes it is noisy up close and yes it could be annoying. Probably one of the minor reasons the boat doesn't allow them to fly. So they're not on the boat, and your noise issue is moot.

Danger? Yep, if I happen to fly it into your head, you're going to get some lacerations. Again, liability is on me, and another reason I'm grounded on the boat. Interestingly the FAA in the US requires all drones of the type to be registered for some reason. Surveillance State much? This despite the fact that I can build a model rocket capable of flight to a mile high and a mile downrange or a 1/4 Scale Remote Control P51 Mustang without so much as a wink and a nod from the Federales.

Now, think about where the greater danger lies there... (And I could mount a small camera in either if I wanted.)

But again, banned on the ship so your argument is taken care of.

So, that leaves us with privacy. My favorite argument.

Are you somehow concerned that I'm going to fly this thing out your cabin window because this I how I get my kicks? Honestly, have you looked at yourself in the mirror lately?

Supermodels travel on yachts, not MSC, Celebrity, Royal or Carnival. No real need for me to go peek a boo in your cabin mate.

And have you no idea of the power of a 300mm lens perched on the front of a Digital SLR?

If I were into counting your nose hairs from a range of 75 meters, this would be my tool of choice, not the noisy drone I'd have to fly to within a meter of your face to accomplish the task. And with the big lens on the SLR, you'd have no idea I was there, as opposed to 4 props and 4 electric motors alerting you of my presence with the drone.

So what exactly are your privacy concerns here? (Or dare I ask, what is going on in that cabin? Shades mate, pull the shades.) Short note on privacy; if you are out of doors you have none. Chester and his lens could be anywhere, ask a celebrity of your choice.

So please, privacy freaks, it's not the drones you need to worry about. We're interested in big picture panoramic type shots. You and the Mrs. are probably safe from us. If the question comes up re: drones on ships. Let us know it is going to be confiscated at boarding, we can check it out at port, and use at our own risk in foreign locales. We're big boys & girls, we'll figure it out.

And if you're wondering what shots were chasing, take a peek (!?) here...https://youtu.be/vlDzYIIOYmM

That is what I'm after.

BooYa!

(drops mic and moonwalks out of forum.)