St. Maarten Suggestions for 25th Anniversary Cruise

Long post here.....looking for suggestions on what ship to take...

Hello friends...been some time since I have posted....

DW and I are trying to plan our 25th-anniversary cruise next year....one year ago today we were packing for our family Western trip on Allure to celebrate DD's graduation from High School and DS's graduation from Middle School.

While onboard the Allure last year, we booked at the Future Cruise desk, two cabins on the Adventure of the Seas for this past May out of Puerto Rico. Unfortunately, we decided that due to High School schedule for DS and DD trying to get a summer job, it was not going to work out.

We are now faced with a deposit on two cabins booked out to next year but we still cannot find a date that all of our schedules work out. DD will be staying at college next year for summer classes and DS will be a Counselor In Training at his sleepaway camp next summer for four weeks and then he leaves for a baseball tournament in early August.

Since it is our 25th Wedding Anniversary, DW and I decided that just the two of us will go away next summer (we are limited to summer travel because of work requirements) while DS is at camp. (July)

I have asked out Travel Agent to look into whatever ships call at St. Maarten during that time. My goal is to get to Mahlo Beach and take a picture with a landing aircraft over my head. :)

Since we are celebrating a special occasion this time, I have thought about getting a suite for the two of us but going with the outside balcony cabin will work. I would rather spend the $$$ on a dining/drink package as well as some excursions this time. The thought is flying first class and staying the night before we leave at an upscale 5-star hotel as well.

I have told the TA to look at Port Canaveral, Port Everglades or San Juan as departure ports since we will have to fly down from Baltimore.

This leaves us with choosing from Oasis (PC), Allure or Harmony (PE), or Freedom (SJ). We have already been on the Oasis class ship and the Freedom Class (Mariner) so that does not matter but we have not been to the Southern Carribean so we are leaning towards the Freedom itinerary.

I am waiting on the TA to come back to us with prices and options.

Thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated from my fellow CC members.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of those choices. I would probably choose something other than Allure, since you've already been on that ship and the shows would be the same. I would probably also avoid Oasis, since Port Canaveral is about an hour from the airport and not as convenient, and since I have no desire to see Cats. That leaves Harmony or Freedom. Harmony is the more spectacular ship, but Freedom likely has a better itinerary. Freedom has the regular fleetwide production show, and not a Broadway style show. Harmony has Grease.

Just a note: Mariner is a Voyager class ship, not a Freedom class ship. There is little difference between these two classes. Freedom is a bit larger, and has the cantilevered hot tubs.

Southern Caribbean itinerary is an absolute must. Go early inSummer (June) to reduce possibility of tropical storm activity. Check out renewal of vowel ceremony offered on ship this will be your best cruise ever. Enjoy!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Suggestion for Mr. Ro-Man-Tic

Take the Freedom out of San Juan for the southern Caribbean itinerary that goes to Curacao, Aruba, Bonaire & St. Maarten.

Stay at the Ritz Carlton in Isle Verde for a beautiful hotel with a pool overlooking the ocean.

Book a Grand Suite, which gives you the amenity of going to the Suite Lounge where you can enjoy free cocktails and hot/cold snacks nightly for 3 1/2 hours. You get major brownie points from the Mrs. since the suite comes with a bathroom larger than the one you have at home. Means your wife can shave her legs without having to be a gymnast.

It will not be necessary to buy the drink package.

When you board the ship go to the Royal Promenade where you can take advantage of the BOGO dining package for Chops & Giovanni's.

Since your stay in Aruba is till 11 P.M. you can book a very romantic dinner at the Marriot's Simply Fish located right on Palm Beach.

When in St. Maarten I would suggest going to Mullet Bay for a beautiful beach in the morning, spend a few hours there, then walk the 1/4 mile thru town to Maho Beach to watch the planes come in. If you like local Caribbean jerk food have it on the beach at Mullet Bay - or if you prefer drinks/burgers wait to you get to Maho.

This will still leave you time to shop on Front Street, every womans' delight.

Whatever you decide to choose - have a wonderful 25th.

It will be a trip to remember, especially if you take loads of photo's.

Long post here.....looking for suggestions on what ship to take...

Hello friends...been some time since I have posted....

DW and I are trying to plan our 25th-anniversary cruise next year....one year ago today we were packing for our family Western trip on Allure to celebrate DD's graduation from High School and DS's graduation from Middle School.

While onboard the Allure last year, we booked at the Future Cruise desk, two cabins on the Adventure of the Seas for this past May out of Puerto Rico. Unfortunately, we decided that due to High School schedule for DS and DD trying to get a summer job, it was not going to work out.

We are now faced with a deposit on two cabins booked out to next year but we still cannot find a date that all of our schedules work out. DD will be staying at college next year for summer classes and DS will be a Counselor In Training at his sleepaway camp next summer for four weeks and then he leaves for a baseball tournament in early August.

Since it is our 25th Wedding Anniversary, DW and I decided that just the two of us will go away next summer (we are limited to summer travel because of work requirements) while DS is at camp. (July)

I have asked out Travel Agent to look into whatever ships call at St. Maarten during that time. My goal is to get to Mahlo Beach and take a picture with a landing aircraft over my head. :)

Since we are celebrating a special occasion this time, I have thought about getting a suite for the two of us but going with the outside balcony cabin will work. I would rather spend the $$$ on a dining/drink package as well as some excursions this time. The thought is flying first class and staying the night before we leave at an upscale 5-star hotel as well.

I have told the TA to look at Port Canaveral, Port Everglades or San Juan as departure ports since we will have to fly down from Baltimore.

This leaves us with choosing from Oasis (PC), Allure or Harmony (PE), or Freedom (SJ). We have already been on the Oasis class ship and the Freedom Class (Mariner) so that does not matter but we have not been to the Southern Carribean so we are leaning towards the Freedom itinerary.

I am waiting on the TA to come back to us with prices and options.

Thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated from my fellow CC members.

Just a thought, but I would also seriously consider the sister company Celebrity for that itinerary and considering you are not bringing the kids and are looking for a more adult vacation.

Your status on Royal will transfer to Celebrity as well.

I have done the southern Caribbean route many times on Celebrity and have had a great time. And I am not throwing shade on Royal because I love them as well, it all depends on my mood and who I am traveling with.

Since you have two deposits to use, why not try a B2B out of San Juan. Two great itineraries and a great place to sail out of. Plus the advantage of only one set of flights. While we prefer the southern route to Aruba, the eastern route is also great. Condado Beach area is pretty nice (Marriott Stellaris is a pretty fancy place), but we actually prefer the beach area nearer the airport - San Juan Hotel or Embassy Suites in Isla Verde area. Large Pueblo grocery store there for wine as well. About $10 from airport and $23 to ship from there.

I vote Freedom because of the itinerary, and second the idea of a B2B. July is a great month because it's warm, even on the pool deck at night (I find other times of year that it's too cold to be out there with no jacket). You will also likely be the only ship in port. Hurricanes are very little threat in the southern islands, regardless of the time of year.

St Maarten is also the least nice/exotic island of all the port stops on either southern route and you will probably end up liking places like St Lucia, Antigua and Aruba much better.

I would definitely do the southern B2B.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums