bottle of wine as crew gift

atb

we are taking an extra bottle of wine (in addition to the 2 for our cabin) as a gift for the bar manager. If we identify this as we check-in, will they call him at that point? Does anyone have experience with this.

we are taking an extra bottle of wine (in addition to the 2 for our cabin) as a gift for the bar manager. If we identify this as we check-in, will they call him at that point? Does anyone have experience with this.

I doubt the check-in people will contact someone on board for you. Instead I would board, go to the nearest open bar, and ask one of the bar staff to call the bar manager for you.

Well it's kind of a secret ;) but although the limit is two per room, security doesn't know what people are together, so they usually only check for two per person.... If you get my drift. Just be prepared for which one you will leave behind if you get caught.

However to second what was already said, unless this "bar manager" is a person you already know specifically and has indicated this is something he might like, cash is generally king with the staff and always more useful than gifts.

We were on it's sister line in December and being in Aqua class we got a bottle of sparkling wine for each leg of our B2B.

We offered them to our cabin steward and he told us he'd get fired if he took them. He offered to exchange them for whit or red wine, which we did. We got wine we would drink and he got a nice tip. Win Win.

we are taking an extra bottle of wine (in addition to the 2 for our cabin) as a gift for the bar manager. If we identify this as we check-in, will they call him at that point?

I doubt it. The pier check-in people work for the port, not the cruise line. They will not call someone who is on the ship to come off the ship to meet you at check-in - just not gonna happen, sorry.

Taking three bottles on board, you run the risk of one of them being confiscated. If you think this is the best gift you can give, then quietly hand it to him/her when the time feels right to you. I also agree that "cash is king", but I appreciate the heart behind your gesture.

I, unlike many here, do not think it is my place to tell someone else what they should or shouldn't give someone as a gift. It is your money and your decision. I am fairly confident that they will accept the gift politely and gracefully if they are allowed to accept a gift from a passenger. That would be one of my concerns; can they accept a gift of that value (you didn't specify the cost of the wine...but I am assuming you aren't gifting them a $20,000 bottle of wine)...and are you certain they do not have a problem with alcohol (I am also assuming you have some shred of intelligence and have already considered that possibility).

I also suggest you simply separate the bottles into multiple carry on bags. My wife and I accidently did that on our second cruise. We each decided to surprise the other with some wine for the cabin. My suspicion should have been raised when she offered to carry her on bag during the boarding process.

Thank you for all the answers. As always, I find it difficult to articulate the true question when writing. The question was how to get more than 2 bottles on-board. The bar manager is an old friend, and this wine is a special private collection bottle from home.

Maybe you are best friends with the bar manager already, maybe you want to make him sweet to attain something extra onboard but really would a bar manager want wine? Waiting with interest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you for all the answers. As always, I find it difficult to articulate the true question when writing. The question was how to get more than 2 bottles on-board. The bar manager is an old friend, and this wine is a special private collection bottle from home.

Getting more than two bottles on board is simple. Worst case, find a friend in line to take the extra bottle.

Just giving the facts as you are now able to would have made responses a bit more on point ;)

If it's that important then only take two bottles. One for the bar manager and one for you. Then order as many bottles as you want to your room or buy the DLX package and get 40% off bottles or wine by the glass. See plenty of options.