Restaurant Discounts for Bariatric Surgery Patients?

Congratulations!

I didn't have surgery but really don't eat too much and when my dh and I go out with friends, we just suck it up and know that even though I may order an app or just a salad for my full meal we are paying full price for me when we split the cost. It just is what it is. I would just be prepared to still go, pay your share and just eat what you can. Remember, it doesn't have to be about the food but more about the company if that helps justify the price LOL ;p

Enjoy your cruise!

Hi! Congrats, and great question!!!

I am 7 years out from my Gastric Sleeve, and LOVE IT!!!!! love, love love... And, I'm still way below my doctors weight for me :)

I love to cruise! On the cruise, I drink like a normal person, but eat smaller meals, and have proteiny snacks to keep me from starving (my hunger never went away, like some people).

I've never asked about a discount. But, I did want to warn you that you need to be prepared that the waiter will be offended EVERY NIGHT that you didn't eat much. Every night I tell them- I don't eat much, and I'm not very hungry right now. And, every night, they are concerned that I don't eat much. AND, on every cruise, the head waiter will come over at least once, concerned that something was wrong with the food, since I didn't eat much. I just try to re-assure them that I just don't eat much, and the food was lovely :)

Also, I'm the weirdo that usually orders two apps and a dessert (usually the cheese plate). Because, that is what I want!

• Like 1

Oh, and did you get the bypass or the sleeve? If you got the sleeve, and have any questions about living the life, several years out, feel free to message me (I think they have the private message option here?).

I've had my ups and downs, but I've been maintaining way under doctors goal for about 2 years. And, I just go my plastics, so hopefully that keeps me motivated :)

Hello,

I have gastric sleeve surgery about 18 months ago and was curious if anyone was aware of Royal Caribbean offering discounts at the specialty restaurants for surgery patients. I'd love to go, but I feel like it would be a waste spending all the money knowing I really won't get my moneys worth. I also feel bad because others going with me want to go, but don't want to leave me out. I'm in the process of contacting Royal Caribbean was well, just curious if anyone had first hand knowledge.

Thanks,

Heather

No discount, Nor should there be. You are paying for ambiance and food quality, not quantity. If it doesn’t match your definition of a good value don’t go. Or go to ones w a la Carte offerings so you can design a meal to your needs. People eat different amounts, it’s not pay per pound of food

• Like 1

No discount, Nor should there be. You are paying for ambiance and food quality, not quantity. If it doesn’t match your definition of a good value don’t go. Or go to ones w a la Carte offerings so you can design a meal to your needs. People eat different amounts, it’s not pay per pound of food

Agreed. If they were to discount it for bariatric surgery patients, they should surcharge those with a BMI over X.

It really is very simple. You go to your cruise planner and purchase the BOGO for $30.00. Once onboard you change the reservation to join your friends. Use it twice and each meal is $15.00, giving you a 60% discount. Use it only once and it is a 40% discount. We rarely eat in the MDR anymore and never get a discount for missing the dinner.

She wasn't expecting it if it wasn't available. She was only asking to find out if it's available. Just because you wouldn't give someone in that position a discount doesn't mean that someone else won't. Looks like there are some places that do. You also shouldn't ridicule someone because you haven't been in their shoes. :rolleyes:

I answered this one already, but to repeat... Of course some places give a discount and I would, too. You know why? Because it's unwinnable for the restaurant. You either get the "I am only giving 1 star because I have to" Yelp review for "discriminating against people with medical conditions" or you give in to the unreasonable and entitled patron and it costs you a few bucks. Pick your poison. There is a reason you can eat half your food then tell your server you didn't like it and want a refund. The restaurants will almost always just comp you the meal. Asking for a discount up front is kind of the same thing. The manager is put into an uncomfortable situation and will probably discount the meal because the last thing you want is your guest to be upset or unhappy, especially at the start of their experience. Which is why this falls back on the patron. Just because you CAN get something doesn't mean you should ask. We generally operate at a level of decency and socially acceptable behavior, but some people just don't seem to be able to function that way. Yes, you CAN order a bottled beer and complain about the taste, demand a refund, etc.... and probably get it comped, but SHOULD you? It's part of the reason I sold my restaurant, which was fairly successful. Dealing with these people pretty much destroyed my passion for the project, so why bother?

• Like 1

Hi! Congrats, and great question!!!

I am 7 years out from my Gastric Sleeve, and LOVE IT!!!!! love, love love... And, I'm still way below my doctors weight for me :)

I love to cruise! On the cruise, I drink like a normal person, but eat smaller meals, and have proteiny snacks to keep me from starving (my hunger never went away, like some people).

I've never asked about a discount. But, I did want to warn you that you need to be prepared that the waiter will be offended EVERY NIGHT that you didn't eat much. Every night I tell them- I don't eat much, and I'm not very hungry right now. And, every night, they are concerned that I don't eat much. AND, on every cruise, the head waiter will come over at least once, concerned that something was wrong with the food, since I didn't eat much. I just try to re-assure them that I just don't eat much, and the food was lovely :)

Also, I'm the weirdo that usually orders two apps and a dessert (usually the cheese plate). Because, that is what I want!

Mee too!!!!! I am 3yrs out of the Sleeve and cruising is the BEST... except for the drama in the MDR, when ppl think you are not eating enough and something is wrong with the food! and me too.. I order the cheese plate! LOLOL

I answered this one already, but to repeat... Of course some places give a discount and I would, too. You know why? Because it's unwinnable for the restaurant. You either get the "I am only giving 1 star because I have to" Yelp review for "discriminating against people with medical conditions" or you give in to the unreasonable and entitled patron and it costs you a few bucks. Pick your poison. There is a reason you can eat half your food then tell your server you didn't like it and want a refund. The restaurants will almost always just comp you the meal. Asking for a discount up front is kind of the same thing. The manager is put into an uncomfortable situation and will probably discount the meal because the last thing you want is your guest to be upset or unhappy, especially at the start of their experience. Which is why this falls back on the patron. Just because you CAN get something doesn't mean you should ask. We generally operate at a level of decency and socially acceptable behavior, but some people just don't seem to be able to function that way. Yes, you CAN order a bottled beer and complain about the taste, demand a refund, etc.... and probably get it comped, but SHOULD you? It's part of the reason I sold my restaurant, which was fairly successful. Dealing with these people pretty much destroyed my passion for the project, so why bother?

Agree with you completely, for the most part. However, I do make an exception to that rule if I'm served a bottle of beer that's obviously flat. I have no problem sending that back.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agree with you completely, for the most part. However, I do make an exception to that rule if I'm served a bottle of beer that's obviously flat. I have no problem sending that back.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm referring to people who would order an Imperial Stout and realize it doesn't taste like a Bud Light. ;p

And of course, instead of accepting their own mistake and being out $7, they think the restaurant should cover the costs.

I'm referring to people who would order an Imperial Stout and realize it doesn't taste like a Bud Light. ;p

And of course, instead of accepting their own mistake and being out $7, they think the restaurant should cover the costs.

And that's why if you're unsure about what you're ordering, go for whatever's on draft, and try a sip before you buy. I've never been to a bar that has a problem with that, most likely because of the reasons you already mentioned.

And that's why if you're unsure about what you're ordering, go for whatever's on draft, and try a sip before you buy. I've never been to a bar that has a problem with that, most likely because of the reasons you already mentioned.

Who would want to do that when you can just "suggest" discounts from a company for your own issues and mistakes?

I'm dying. :')

I'm only "asking" if you can do it. Your answer will end up in my Cruise Critic review, but you know, just asking.... ;)

It's so great, South Park did an entire episode about this.

I think this is a legit question and no one should be ridiculed for asking. Unfortunately they can’t prep1/2 steak so the cost is the same. I do not eat very much and would love a discount as well but to enjoy the special restaurants is part of the experience. We put it in our budget.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think this is a legit question and no one should be ridiculed for asking. Unfortunately they can’t prep1/2 steak so the cost is the same. I do not eat very much and would love a discount as well but to enjoy the special restaurants is part of the experience. We put it in our budget.

I believe the actual cost of the producing the meal is more about the work done than the actual ingredients. It takes just a much work to cook and serve a small steak as a large one.

If a waiter in the US is offended that I eat so little I just tell them that I'm European. We're used to much smaller servings. I usually settles that.

Yes but I believe you are missing the HYPOCRISY of what you were saying. when people are overweight and over eating they don't expect to pay more so why would a person expect to pay less when they can eat less.

This is the point for a lot of people commenting here. It isn’t that they are insensitive, it is just a sense of total hypocrisy. Would anyone ask to pay more because they eat a lot? Of course not.

Add to that the assumption (right or wrong) that someone who had this surgery ate a lot before and people are going to judge. It is kind of like the ex smoker you know who didnt care and blew smoke in people’s faces, and now gives dirty looks to smokers who do what they used to do. It is just a hypocrisy thing.

I’m honestly surprised this thread has stayed mostly adult like.

I believe the actual cost of the producing the meal is more about the work done than the actual ingredients. It takes just a much work to cook and serve a small steak as a large one.

If a waiter in the US is offended that I eat so little I just tell them that I'm European. We're used to much smaller servings. I usually settles that.

Or the person could just tell the waiter they have a medical condition that requires they limit their intake. Or just say it’s doctors orders and that should do it. Why not just be up front if you think a waiter is offended.

• Like 2

Thanks! I completely understand if Royal doesn't, just figured it was worth a shot. Some restaurants will give you a smaller portion and in turn discounted price or allow you to order from the kids menu with a surgery card. I'm going on the Allure in November, which is a first for me on the Oasis class, so I definitely plan of trying at least one of the restaurants particular to that class.

Heather

Understand. Funny thing is I don't eat much myself, just often, so hard to get my $ worth. So when my kids were younger we'd swap. They'd order kids meal for me and I'd order Adult size for my 8-10 yr old who was my size. Did this at fast food rest

Understand. Funny thing is I don't eat much myself, just often, so hard to get my $ worth. So when my kids were younger we'd swap. They'd order kids meal for me and I'd order Adult size for my 8-10 yr old who was my size. Did this at fast food rest

Asking to order from the kids menu for a smaller portion is a reasonable request in most cases. Asking for a discount is not.

Asking to order from the kids menu for a smaller portion is a reasonable request in most cases. Asking for a discount is not.

Exactly.

Many restaurants will let you do that and I think pretty much any fast food place will regardless of your age or situation.

But a specialty restaurant on a cruise is just a different situation. You are paying for more than just the food and the opportunity cost is a big factor too. Imagine the slippery slope if they started this. There are so many valid reasons someone may eat less than others, where would it end.

I worked in restaurants for quite some time and in fact, owned a restaurant for a while. I was convinced we were being trolled. Never seen or heard such a thing and common sense and decency would suggest nobody would ever actually expect such a thing. This sounds ridiculous to me. But I shouldn't be surprised I guess at the audacity of some peope.

My family has been in the restaurant business for four generations, my husband runs the busiest restaurant in South Florida not named Joes, and I've never heard of anyone asking for a discount for bariatric Surgery.

Most people who don't eat much order off the left side of the menu or share. We also don't allow adults to order off the kids menu. The kids menu is a money loser for most restaurants and isn't necessarily smaller portions.