Has anyone tried Quease Ease for sea sickness?

seait

Hi

My husband would love to cruise with me but suffers from sea sickness. He has been on three cruises with me but they were not pleasurable due to the constant nausea. He has tried the sea bands, acupuncture, the adhesives that placed behind the ears (the name escapes me), eating ginger etc etc. He does not get physically sick but the constant nausea causes him to not want to eat or lie down.

On my last cruise, a passenger was telling me about Quease Ease which is an inhaler you use as soon as the nausea starts. It is something like smelling salts and worked wonders for her. So, I was wondering if anyone else has tried this product with success OR does anyone know of other remedies/products that have worked for them.

Seait:)

Has he tried Bonine? It is over the counter & works great for me. I take one in the morning & one again at night before bed. I get motion sick period, wether it is a plane, car, train etc. & it works for me. Good luck!!

Jan

He has not tried Bonine and we will certainly check into it. Thanks for the suggestion!! I think that to be on the cautious side, we will try a very short cruise e.g. 3 days just in case. If it works, then we can go from there...

Seait

Hi , we use the generic Bonine which is mecalizine, much cheaper , also over the counter , usually just ask your pharmacist. It works for us. Good Luck , that seasickness is an awful feeling.

Cori

I have never tried it, but my remedy for motion sickness was ginger tablets. They work well and i don't feel drowsy all day and most importantly, I can still have a few drinks. I would never drink with dramamine on Bonine.

Here is some info on Quease Ease. and maybe I will purchase some just in case.

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/AQUQE.html

Roger

He has not tried Bonine and we will certainly check into it. Thanks for the suggestion!! I think that to be on the cautious side, we will try a very short cruise e.g. 3 days just in case. If it works, then we can go from there...

Seait

Make sure he begins to take it a day or two BEFORE you get onboard. That way his body has already adjusted to the meds and it will work from the moment the ship starts to move. I actually advise my friends that Bonine works wonders for motion sickness.

Motion sickness is terrible! What works for me is Bonine -- one in the morning and one before bed. I also take a ginger pill. I have tried other things: the patch - which I had side effects to, even made a trip to the ship's doctor for an injection, and honestly, Bonine -- 25 mg. works the best! There is also a 50 mg. dose but I haven't needed to take that. Good luck.

Donna

I did buy QueaseEase on board the Princess last spring but not sure I can give you a fair assessment as my stomach isn't always bothered. I do have sinus issues which probably contributes to how my head feels but have never cared much for choppy seas. First of all, I think this product is ridiculously expensive. It was $20 onboard but I see it is basically the same price on the website listed in a previous message. Believe it or not I keep this container by my bed so it helps when I'm feeling stuffy. This is the company's website:

http://www.soothing-scents.com. The good thing is that ingredients are natural and not something that would upset one's stomach. I would say to you that it's worth giving this product a try. You have nothing to lose but your queasiness. Good luck and hope you continue to cruise.

Sandy

There seems to be lots of questions on over the counter medications taken to prevent motion sickness, nausea and vomiting. I did a little research on the two most popular over the counter formulations; Dramamine Original and Dramamine Less Drowsy, Bonine and Meclizine HCL and offer the following. I am not a doctor or pharmacist. I just looked up the information on the internet.

Dramamine Original

Average cost: $4 for 12 pills

Active ingredient: 50mg Dimenhydrinate

Drug class: Antihistamine

Uses:

Reduces allergic symptoms such as hay fever, hives, rash or itching;

Prevents motion sickness, nausea, vomiting;

Relieves symptoms associated with the common cold;

Induces sleep.

What the drug does:

Blocks action of histamine after an allergic response triggers histamine release in sensitive cells. Histamines cause itching, sneezing, runny nose and eyes and other symptoms.

Appears to work in the vomiting center of the brain to control nausea and vomiting and help prevent motion sickness.

Skin and Sunlight: May cause rash or intensify sunburn in areas exposed to the sun.

Dramamine Less Drowsy, Bonine and Meclizine HCL

Average cost:

Dramamine Less Drowsy: $4 for 8 Pills

Bonine: $7 for 16 pills

Meclizine HCL: $7 for 100 pills

Active Ingredient in all three: 25mg Meclizine Hydrocloride

Drug class: Antiemetic, antihistamine, anti-motion sickness.

Uses: Prevents motion sickness and treatment for Vertigo.

What the drug does:

Reduces sensitivity of nerve endings in inner ear and blocks messages to brain’s vomiting center.

Skin and sunlight: No problems expected.

As you can see, Dramamine Less Drowsy, Bonine and Meclizine HCL are identical. You are paying for the “Brand” name. Buying the generic Meclizine HCL will save you a whole bunch of money.

This is going to sound really dumb but it did work for me - not sure why.

I was feeling really queasy in some very rough seas on one cruise and the cabin steward brought me apples. He said that it would ease my queasiness. And it worked. It may or may not work for your DH but who knows.

I actually take what I call the holy trinity - Bonine, Sea Bands, and the Trans-scop patches. I start taking Bonine the day before sailing. Then take one on the cruise around 5PM each day. If I don't feel that is enough, I have the Sea bands and patches for back up. But the Bonine usually does the trick.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and information, it is very much appreciated. My husband has agreed to try Bonine (generic or otherwise) and we are now making plans for a short cruise in February. I will keep everyone posted on how it turns out.

It will be so nice to be able to cruise with him and no longer have to say goodbye to those sad puppy dog eyes as I leave for the airport with my daughters or grandchildren or the in-laws and out-laws.

Thanks again

I've had good luck with the patch. (Transderm Scop - Scopolomine HCl) However, there are a couple caveats:

You need to put it on hours before you think you might possibly get sick. It, like almost all motion sickness remedies, is nearly useless if you wait until you feel ill. This especially applies to the patch, since it takes some time for the medicine to be absorbed.

Dry mouth - You will be drinking water like a fish. Not that that is necessarily a bad thing.

The big advantage it has over the -'ines is the fact that it is totally non-drowsy, not "less drowsy" like Meclizine/Bonine.

I was on one deep-sea fishing trip that was REALLY rough. Well over half the boat, plus some of the seasoned crew, was sick. My wife and I had no problems at all with the patch. (Applied the night before.)

SirWired

This is going to sound really dumb but it did work for me - not sure why.

I was feeling really queasy in some very rough seas on one cruise and the cabin steward brought me apples. He said that it would ease my queasiness. And it worked. It may or may not work for your DH but who knows.

Not dumb at all. It's an old remedy; apples with or w/o dry saltines.

Does anyone know how many doses there are in the QueaseEase container?

For $20 I would hope you get a fair amount of doses.

There aren't doses per se as one just inhales the vapours and the tube is not a pump or spray inhaler. The tube is supposed to last for six months after opening as long as the lid is kept closed. I bought mine last June and while I don't use it often on land, I can still smell the contents. Hope this answers your question.

Sandy:)

I have never tried it, but my remedy for motion sickness was ginger tablets. They work well and i don't feel drowsy all day and most importantly, I can still have a few drinks. I would never drink with dramamine on Bonine.

Here is some info on Quease Ease. and maybe I will purchase some just in case.

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/AQUQE.html

Roger

Yikes, I have heard so many good things about Bonine on various threads on CC that I was definitely going to give that a try. We are in cabin 7516 on AOS which is right at the front of the ship so I am super concerned about motion sickness. I usually take Gravol when feeling nauseous. It works well but you are definitely knocked into tomorrow with it so Bonine sounded like a great option. I didnt realize that I wouldn't be able to drink with it. I think that it is back to the drawing board for me. Maybe I will try the Ginger Pills.

Yikes, I have heard so many good things about Bonine on various threads on CC that I was definitely going to give that a try. We are in cabin 7516 on AOS which is right at the front of the ship so I am super concerned about motion sickness. I usually take Gravol when feeling nauseous. It works well but you are definitely knocked into tomorrow with it so Bonine sounded like a great option. I didnt realize that I wouldn't be able to drink with it. I think that it is back to the drawing board for me. Maybe I will try the Ginger Pills.

Buy the capsules, not the tablets.

I get really bad sea sickness and car sickness, so for my previous 5 cruises, I've used the patch. It worked great, but I really felt the side effects. For my cruise a few weeks ago, I decided--after reading a ton of threads on CC--to try the combination of bonine and sea bands. It was amazing! I felt great and there were no side effects. And yes, I drank while on the bonine. Bf used the bonine and he felt great too. I really recommend it. I've used dramamine before, and it's knocked me out, but I didn't feel that way with bonine. I started it two days before we left, as others have suggested.

I hope that your husband finds something that works! I know how not fun sea sickness can be.

Archived