alaska weather mid May to early-mid June?

phonejock

:confused:I am home fightling a head cold so I thought I would check out cruises to Alaska for 2011. Our first cruise was to Alaska in early July and we had sunny days for the scenic crising and rain the rest of the time. I thought I would see what weather people experienced when they cruised before July and August. The prices really jump in late June and I want to make sure I am not being "penny wise- pound foolish". Thank you

I'm one of those "strange" people who LOVES to cruise Alaska in May (preferably end of May). It is spring, the eagles are about, the salmon are not yet running, the humpbacks have arrived, all-in-all a great time to be there (and the rates are lower).

Also, in our case, we prefer to cruise when there are less children onboard, so it is a perfect time. Weather can be cool and rainy or sunny ... you just never know. If we go again, though, it will definitely be in May.

We've been to Alaska twice in late May and both times it was pleasant (50's - 60's) with a little rain. The rain only caused problems in Ketchikan due to the fact that it's a great place just to walk around! In Juneau it had rained for a week before we arrived, but it was clear.

Late May seems to be great time for glacier viewing. We have been to all of the major glaciers and the timing and conditions were perfect for calving at Hubbard Glacier when we were there in late May. That was our favorite, but everyone has an opinion.

Our favorite Shorex's were the Yukon White Pass railroad and whale watching. Be sure to watch for golf balls in the trees.

Dw and I have cruised Alaska w land tour in May 2006 and this past May. Both times we had sun and No rain. Record breaking temps this year 80's in Skagway. My college roomates's daughter is a Ranger at Denali and recommended May as the time to come to Alaska. Less crowed, animals are still close in before the traffic mounts and it is Spring with the snow melting creating beautiful scenery.

Weather is completely variable. We were in Alaska the last week of May, first week of June this year. We had highs in the mid 70s most days the first week, which was unusually warm for that time of year. We saw Mt. McKinley 4 or 5 days in a row without no cloud cover. It rained just twice in two weeks - one was a 20 minute shower while we were on the ship. Then it was 50 and drizzling in Ketchikan (completely normal weather there).

We enjoyed very nice weather while on our cruise (years ago) in mid-May. Fares are lower but it is usually before the rainy season. We've had friends who traveled to Alaska late August and they had rainy weather with lots of fog. Weather is unpredictable but we would go in May again in a heartbeat!

Expect anyting, anytime.

We sailed the Golden May/June 09 and had the most incredible weather even the crew had ever seen.

We sailed the Coral the year before at the end of July and had snow in Glacier Bay/College Fjord.

You just never know and need to take the appropriate clothing.

Dressing in layers in Alaska is a must.

We also went in late May a few years ago and had amazing weather. Out of 9 days, we only had one day of rain. We were actually on deck in t-shirts for Glacier Bay! It was really uncrowded and we got an amazing deal. My parent went a few years later in July and had rain almost every day so you just never know. For us, paying half the price and avoiding the crowds made it all worth the risk:)

The one downside was that we had wanted to do a small guided tour through Denali that I had found here on the boards (forget which one) and it wasn't running yet because the roads were covered in snow still. I think they opened up 2 weeks after we got back.

Good luck.

Went to AK this May 15th - 22nd. Prepared for all kinds of weather. Only day that it was really cold was when we cruised Glacier Natl. Park. We carried our coats in Skagway and Juneau and it started to drizzle a bit when we were getting back on the ship in Ketchican. Like everyone says, "dress in layers" and you'll be ready for anything, which is probably what'll you'll get. No matter what the weather though, it does not spoil the trip to that great state. :)

The only thing you can bet on with Alaska weather is "Unpredictable".

The only problem we had with May and it was late May is the water falls were still frozen which is part of the beauty.

Have been in August and had great weather and August 09 was terrible. July might be the best but also the highest.

Pay your money and take your chances and we will do that next Sep 17th the latest we have ever been. But we love it.

Since everone is saying it was warm in May, I'll jump in and say that when we went the 2nd week of May (2003), it was cold. It never got above the mid 40s, and there was a constant stiff cold wind. We did have sunshine everwhere but Ketchikan where it misted rain in the morning. I've since read that there is a big improvement around the 3rd week of May. We're crossing our fingers and hoping that holds true in 2011 since we're going the first week of June.

Archived