Cape Horn/Drake Passage... How rough is it?

terigo

Trying to find an itinerary that is totally new for us.

One thing DH and I have never done is go around Cape Horn.... I've been fearful of how rough the waters will be.

Until DH retires, a couple of weeks is about all the time we can do at one time.....

We are looking at the 16 day South America Explorer or the 17 day South America and Antarctica Explorer (which I assume would be much rougher than the other) next winter on the Veendam... what has the experience been like for those that have done either of these?

Hate to say this but it really varies depending upon the weather. Some people have reported it to be smooth as glass, other's have experienced extremely rough passages.

Our passage was moderate, in our opinion, but the captain was overly cautious and we didn't get to round cape horn (we also didn't get to dock in Ushuaia but that was a different screw-up). We went 'close' (close enough to use the telephoto lens for a shot of the monument) but not around.

you should be prepared for the harshest conditions possible (cold, snowy, windy, very rough seas) and then if it isn't as bad, enjoy the calm passage.

Hate to say this but it really varies depending upon the weather. Some people have reported it to be smooth as glass, other's have experienced extremely rough passages.

Our passage was moderate, in our opinion, but the captain was overly cautious and we didn't get to round cape horn (we also didn't get to dock in Ushuaia but that was a different screw-up). We went 'close' (close enough to use the telephoto lens for a shot of the monument) but not around.

you should be prepared for the harshest conditions possible (cold, snowy, windy, very rough seas) and then if it isn't as bad, enjoy the calm passage.

Agreed, you can get anything from Lake Drake to the Drake shakes, and you need to be prepared for all. In fairness, though, that is true anytime at sea. Just look to this years events with with Clelia II in Drake, Prinsendam in Scotland, and Brilliance of the Seas off Egypt. Anytime you are at sea, anything pretty much can happen regardless of the size of seaworthyness of the ship.

Roy

The seas down there, as others have said, can vary between flat calm to downright mean.

The morning we arrived at Cape Horn, on Dec 26, 2003, seas were calm, and they were the same way during the Drake Passage transit. I was just a bit disappointed. You just never know how they will be until you get down there.

The seas down there, as others have said, can vary between flat calm to downright mean.

Indeed - There was a post a year or so back of Prinsendam attempting to make the transit, being hit by a great wave, enduring all kinds of damage and being forced back to Ushuaia where they settled down and restocked the ship with glassware, etc...

...when they made the transit a couple days later, the seas were smooth as glass.

As the others have said, you never know. We had 40+ foot seas from The Falklands to Antarctica (that was an experience :eek:) and the Drake Lake (could have been in the Caribbean) coming back up to Cape Horn.

As one who gets seasick VERY easily, I was happy our M.D. suggested I take a combination of meds. That combination did wonders.

We're planning on a return cruise to Antarctica and I don't have any qualms about seasickness.

My "old salt" husband never gets seasick and LOVES the movement of the ocean... Me? I start to turn green at the rhythmic rolls of a post storm sea.

Looks like, if we do this, it is going to be a crapshoot.

So now I have to figure out if I am a gambler or not....

We shared a lunch table one day with folks who'd done that trip, and they'd been evacuated to sit in the halls with all the cabin doors closed.... less chance they'd be hurt by flying "stuff".

I want to do that cruise at some point, but am reluctant given the good chance of bad seas :eek:

That is one of my dream cruises, a definite bucket list thing but something to be done when I'm nowhere near the bucket.

Honestly, I would be SEVERELY dissapointed if there were calm seas. When going towards the continent where few have been, it is supposed to be rough, supposed to be a challenge of spirit and ship! Just imagine actually seeing an albatross in flight in nature, not many folks can claim that.

And as long as no fool shoots the albatross, we'll be fine! If they do, it is getting hung around my neck!

Derek

I'm more likely to do the cruise given the chance of rough seas!

;)

Be sure to try the Madagascar-Capetown Cape of Good Hope transit in early spring! Amsterdam had just passed us in those same waters last March. There were far more good sailors on our MV Discovery trip who made every meal and looked happy, than those of us who sadly realized we did not have such good sea legs after all. I think the ship doctor was up all night making cabin calls and giving calming shots. Up and down and side to side - 2 weeks straight - cork-screwing- as someone here called it.

I was on the Amsterdam (Rio - Santiago, with Antarctica) in '04/'05 and Drake Passage was almost flat calm going down. Coming back north, there were very large swells and the ship seemed almost 'deserted'... LOL. When we got to Cape Horn it was like a mill pond and the weather was beautiful.

It all depends on the weather - so you never know.

Is there anyone that has been on an itinerary that included the Drake Passage, had rough seas, regretted going, was frightened and would never consider it or anything like it again?

B

Yeah... I would like the answer to that as well!

Can't tell you scary it was!! We all admitted later that we didn't think we were going to make it. The captain said it was the worst storm he'd seen in 27 years at sea. 98 foot swells and 110 mph winds!@!

I'm sure there will be many posts to follow. We just got home today.

Is there anyone that has been on an itinerary that included the Drake Passage, had rough seas, regretted going, was frightened and would never consider it or anything like it again?

B

Can't tell you scary it was!! We all admitted later that we didn't think we were going to make it. The captain said it was the worst storm he'd seen in 27 years at sea. 98 foot swells and 110 mph winds!@!

Glad you're back home, safe and sound. Was it worth the "ride"?

B

Oh, I'm glad you're okay. Captain P. van Maurik told us while on the Westerdam

last week that the Veendam had been through a terrible storm but had made it to Usuaha. I'd be interested in hearing details from anyone who experienced this.

B

We've gone that way three times, including one to Antarctica. Never had a problem.

Looks like, if we do this, it is going to be a crapshoot. So now I have to figure out if I am a gambler or not....
Yes, it's a crapshoot. But the payoff is worth the gamble! :cool::cool:

We’ve sailed these waters twice. We crossed the Drake Passage en route to Antarctica on the 165-passenger expedition ship World Discoverer (Dec ’97). We had the Drake Lake on the way down but the Drake Shake on the way back. The ship rolled & pitched relentlessly for what seemed like an eternity, but was really only a day or so. Many passengers & crew were down for the count. We were queasy for several hours on the last day, which unfortunately for me, meant being in rough shape for our flight back home from Falklands.

On HAL Amsterdam (Mar ’09), we had a blustery passage around Cape Horn with heavy rains, high seas & fierce winds. It was too miserable to be outside so many people gathered in the Crow’s Nest to witness the passage & to hear on-board commentary. The lecturer described ours as a “classic” rounding of the Horn. The ship rocked a bit but it wasn’t particularly noticeable. Our actual time in rough seas was measured in hours not days & it was all over pretty quick. Some people were unstable on their feet but most were just fine.

You just never know what you’ll get. But it’s such an awesome cruise destination that I think it’s well worth whatever measures you need to take against potential seasickness. We’re both good sailors who like to feel the motion of the ocean, but we now routinely take ginger capsules every morning & have Bonine at the ready, just in case. Of course, YMMV!

Yes, the storm was rough, and as described above, high winds and huge waves for more than 24 hours.

At the peak of storm we were asked to stay in cabins and kitchen shut down. We were brought sandwiches to cabins by our stewards who worked so hard to keep us going and give reassurance at this difficult time.

We were on deck 9 in an aft verandah on end, and felt the movement a lot. Fortunately neither my husband nor I felt panicky and actually did some walking about the ship (before being asked to stay put)

Every time we returned to the cabin it was a new adventure. Once a glass was shattered all over the rug-must have hit something on way down. Another time the ice bucket all over floor--br-r-r.

Contents of refrigerator rolling all over got us to secure all--shoes under doors as a wedge, pillows wedging drawers, etc.

We did not 'round the horn', but we did get to Ushuaia, a day late, and Punta Arenas, a day late but of course had to give up a port which was Puerto Montt.

The storm, to me , was part of the experience. While I did not like having to stay in my cabin or missing a port, I have cruised often enough to know this happens and reasons not always as evident as they were there.

The captain handled the episode magnificently, constantly on the PA system with updates and (when possible) reassurances of our ultimate safety.

I was not completely aware beforehand of the extremely cold temperatures nor just how bad the seas could be--but I still would have taken this trip.

The glaciers were magnificent, the mountains majestic and overall had a unique experience of South America.

We rounded the Horn on Ryndam several years ago and it was like a mill pond!

More recently we sailed to Antarctica on an expedition ship with 160 pax. Drake Passage was "Drake Lake" going but was rougher coming back.

We chose low deck amidships and felt nothing but some on higher decks were tossed around a bit but there were no injuries.

Antarctica is SPECTACULAR!

We rounded The Horn on 1 November 2004 on the Amsterdam; and, somewhat disappointingly, it was like sailing in a bathtub. We had sailed west-to-east through the Beagle Channel then looped back southwest to The Horn. We sailed past The Horn, but we didn't actually traverse Drake's Passage all the way.

Bear in mind that a line extending from Santiago, Chile to Montevideo, Uruguay is approximately on the 40th degree of south latitude. South of that line down to The Horn is the area known as the "roaring forties" and "howling fifties." It's called that for good reason. Back up in the inside passage between Puerto Montt and Punta Arenas we encountered some very rough seas with winds exceeding 70 mph. In order to get out of the rough seas Captain van Zaane had to request permission from HAL headquarters to go through an area which provided only three or four feet clearance for the bottom of the hull. He got it, and we went through during the night without incident.

As several others have indicated, you've go to be prepared wherever you are. In addition to the area mentioned above, we've encountered heavy seas in The Caribbean, off the Canadian Maritimes/New England during the tail end of a hurricane, and crossing The Tasman Sea. Stay informed regarding the weather that is expected to be encountered, have a good supply of meclizine, and take it at least 12 hours prior to expected heavy seas if at all possible.

Archived