What does "operated by" mean?

azalice

This is what is known as a "codeshare". One airline flies the aircraft, but other airlines, usually from the same alliance or independents, also market the flight and put their "code" on the flight as well.

So, you have a ticket on an Iberia (IB) coded flight that is actually flown by AA. Not at all unusual.

I have been on flights that have had 8 different codes....to the uninitiated, the airport display looks like a ton of airlines are flying a route, when it's only one aircraft.

Another point is you use the AA terminal and check-in areas, even if IB also serves the same airport. It's probably not an issue in your case, but it sometimes causes people to go to the wrong terminal. Example: at LAX on a UA codeshare operated by AC (Air Canada)...you will be on the wrong side of the airport if you show up at the United terminal.

If I am on an Airfrance flight "operated by Delta" do I get Delta Skymiles points?

As mentioned, different programs have different rules. For example, if you are an American Airlines frequent flier on a Japan Air Lines flight number, you earn 50% miles in the lower fare groups (G, N, O, Q, R), 70% in slightly higher fare groups, and 100% in full-fare economy. All of this is alleviated by booking an AA flight number, even if it's operated by Japan Air Lines. So, do a bit of looking in to your rules and what fare code you have...but you'll likely get miles.

AF and DL are both part of SkyTeam and have harmonized much of the frequent flyer mile question. In general, published fares sold by AF get you SkyMiles. You can get specific information on any airline partner of DL from the charts HERE.

ok-Thanks for the reminder on the link as I actually checked it before, but was/am still confused.

I should have asked "Do I need to contact DAL to claim these miles or will DAL automatically pick them up"

In my case my "Fair basis" is ZHTAYUS/LN800 which is business class so I assume that my ticket falls into this category as shown on the DAL skymiles table:

Business: J, C, D, Z, I100%50%150%150%Yes

I should have asked "Do I need to contact DAL to claim these miles or will DAL automatically pick them up"

ok-Thanks for the reminder on the link as I actually checked it before, but was/am still confused.

In my case my "Fair basis" is ZHTAYUS/LN800 which is business class so I assume that my ticket falls into this category as shown on the DAL skymiles table:

As long as you've entered your frequent flier number, they should be automatically credited to your account after a certain number of days (for my American account, for example, it can take 2-7 days most times to get miles from a partner flight). Keep your boarding pass, though, just in case they aren't credited - that happened to me on an MCI-ATL-DUB flight several years ago and you better believed I called up and claimed my miles for that puppy!

You must proactively add your Delta frequent flyer number to your reservation. This can be done online, on the phone to a CS agent, or at the airport at the check-in desk. Best to do this before the flight. Claiming miles after the fact can be problematic.

You are in the "Z" bucket, so you miles plus bonus. Ditto on MQM.

What you need to do is be sure that AF has your SkyMiles number in the reservation before you fly. And be sure to keep your boarding passes until after the miles have posted - proof that you flew.

You will do your check-in at the DL counter. Remember that you get use of the SkyPriority line for check-in, the premier security line, and lounge access throughout your trip. Be sure to keep your boarding passes (including just completed trip) handy for the lounge agent.

Thanks! Just the info that I needed!

At check-in I always show the Frequent Flyer card to the check in agent. An Air France agent should be able to confirm and add your Delta number onto the flight if it is missing.

At check in you check in at the operating airline checkin desk.

Yours is not a "standard" Z class/business class ticket. It has a "ticket designator" (LN800), which might or might not mean the rules for you accruing miles is different than "normal" Z class fares. It also might mean you have different rules for changing, endorsing, rerouting, etc. Only the source you booked your ticket through and maybe Delta directly can truly answer these questions with 100% accuracy.

Archived