When do you clear customs?

QueenofEverything

Usually you wait to clear Customs and Immigration at your final destination. As for bags being checked through, usually they can be, sometimes not. It probably depends on the country--what airport are you flying through?

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

Hi Q of E: I think you might be confusing customs with passport control, which is so very easy to do! You don't say where you're going or where you're changing planes, so everything that follows will be assuming that you have a) booked a through ticket on the same airline and b) are staying within the Euro Zone (Schengen countries) ..when you arrive at the connecting city (Frankfort for example) you will go through passport control, and then proceed to your departing gate (Budapest for example). You will not have to claim your luggage, it will transfer to your connecting flight automatically and because you are staying within Schengen Agreement Countries, you will not have to go through customs. You WILL have to go through security again because you will be leaving the International Arrivals terminal and going to the "Domestic" Terminal but that is all. When you arrive at your final destination you will go through passport/immigration control again and after claiming your luggage go through customs. If you are booked on two different airlines (that are not code sharing partners) you probably will have to claim your luggage and go through the check-in procedure again. I know you're kind of new to CC, but the more information you give us in your question, the better our help will be. When asking good questions, like this one, it helps if we know what airline you're flying; what your original departure airport is; where you're changing planes and what your final destination is. :D

Immigration and Customs in Europe can be quite confusing. There are multiple groupings of countries in Europe, and each of these has unique membership. Among other groups there are the European Union, the EU Customs Zone, the Euro Monetary Union, the European Free Trade Association and the Schengen Zone. Immigration admission to the Schengen Zone allows travel to other Schengen countries without passport formalities. Most Schengen countries are in the EU, but some (Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein) are not in the EU. Most EU countries are in Schengen, but some (UK, Ireland, Croatia, Cyprus, Bulgaria and Romania) are not. Then there are countries (Monaco, San Marino, Vatican City) that are in neither the EU nor Schengen, but have no border controls going to or from Schengen, so are de facto in Schengen. So what does all this mean?

Assuming you are going on a river cruise in Germany, France, Hungary etc and connect in the UK or Ireland you will be in transit to Schengen, and will be admitted to Schengen upon arrival in Schengen. If you connect in Germany, France, etc you will be admitted to Schengen at your first airport.

Even the people in the airports who are supposed to help you don't fully understand the rules. Frankfurt airport guides seem to have only two categories: Europe (meaning Schengen Zone) and Transit (meaning non-Schengen). If you are going to met a river boat in Romania (which is in Europe, but not yet in Schengen) do NOT listen to the guy insisting that if you are going anywhere in Europe you have to go to "Europe" (meaning Schengen immigration).

Are you confused yet? (And we have not gotten to EU countries that do not use the Euro, and non-EU countries which do use the Euro.)

Thom

P.S. I didn't try to discuss overseas territories of Schengen countries, which are generally not part of Schengen and may or may not be using the Euro.

Edited by TravelerThom

If you are booked on two different airlines (that are not code sharing partners) you probably will have to claim your luggage and go through the check-in procedure again.

There are rare exceptions, but this is not generally true these days as most significant airlines have interlining agreements that let them check your bags through to the destination even when it is an entirely unrelated airline.

Sometimes you may have to pick-up your boarding pass at the connections desk, but you will not normally need to see your luggage again before the final destination.

Just make sure you have the details of your onward flight available (including ticket number) when you initially check your baggage and make sure the tags show the final destination correctly.

There are rare exceptions, but this is not generally true these days as most significant airlines have interlining agreements that let them check your bags through to the destination even when it is an entirely unrelated airline.

Sometimes you may have to pick-up your boarding pass at the connections desk, but you will not normally need to see your luggage again before the final destination.

Just make sure you have the details of your onward flight available (including ticket number) when you initially check your baggage and make sure the tags show the final destination correctly.

That's news to me!! I've never experienced different airlines transferring my luggage unless they were co-sharing....like Star Alliance. But it's a good thing and there's no reason why they shouldn't do it.

...To be more specific - Flying from Houston to Nuremberg, changing planes in Amsterdam. Returning Budapest to Houston, changing again in Amsterdam. All flights are KLM
You will see immigration at Schipol Airport in Amsterdam and get a Schengen entry stamp; Amsterdam to Nuremberg should be treated as a "domestic" flight with no further interaction with immigration. Leaving Budapest you will be on a "domestic" flight to Amsterdam; the flight to the US will be on an "international" concourse and you should see an exit immigration person and get a Schengen exit stamp at entry to that concourse. Some airport (especially in southern Europe) can be lax about issuing entry stamps, and if you don't get one officially you are illegally in Schengen and might have issues when you try to exit - northern European airport can be pretty strict about this. US bound flights will often have some additional security immediately prior to the gate for that flight - nothing to worry about.

I am less certain of baggage rules, but think that your checked bag will automatically go from IAH through AMS to NUE, and there probably will be a Red Line (something to declare) / Green Line (nothing to declare - most tourists fit in this category) upon exiting baggage claim. Upon return your bag should be checked through BUD - AMS - IAH. In the US you always have to claim your baggage at your first port of entry, but sounds like IAH is both your port of entry and your final destination.

Nuremberg to Budapest is a great trip - ENJOY!

Thom

That's news to me!! I've never experienced different airlines transferring my luggage unless they were co-sharing....like Star Alliance. But it's a good thing and there's no reason why they shouldn't do it.

At lot of people are unaware of the interlining agreements, so you are not alone:)

You just need to tell the check-in agent and give them the other ticket details as they will not always be able to see them without prompting.

You will see immigration at Schipol Airport in Amsterdam and get a Schengen entry stamp; Amsterdam to Nuremberg should be treated as a "domestic" flight with no further interaction with immigration. Leaving Budapest you will be on a "domestic" flight to Amsterdam; the flight to the US will be on an "international" concourse and you should see an exit immigration person and get a Schengen exit stamp at entry to that concourse. Some airport (especially in southern Europe) can be lax about issuing entry stamps, and if you don't get one officially you are illegally in Schengen and might have issues when you try to exit - northern European airport can be pretty strict about this. US bound flights will often have some additional security immediately prior to the gate for that flight - nothing to worry about.

I am less certain of baggage rules, but think that your checked bag will automatically go from IAH through AMS to NUE, and there probably will be a Red Line (something to declare) / Green Line (nothing to declare - most tourists fit in this category) upon exiting baggage claim. Upon return your bag should be checked through BUD - AMS - IAH. In the US you always have to claim your baggage at your first port of entry, but sounds like IAH is both your port of entry and your final destination.

Thom

I have the same question but with different cities: Washington Dulles through Heathrow to Prague; Prague through Heathrow to Washington Dulles.

Allyson

I have the same question but with different cities: Washington Dulles through Heathrow to Prague; Prague through Heathrow to Washington Dulles.

Which airlines?

The UK is not part of the Schengen group of countries but it doesn't greatly complicate things either.

Your baggage will still transfer through London and on to Prague without you seeing it (can confirm absolutely when airlines are known) and you will go to the transfer desk at LHR rather than the normal immigration lines where you will be routed on to the correct terminal for your next flight.

Allyson

The UK is NOT in Schengen, so you cannot enter Schengen a LHR. I THINK that you will be an in-transit passenger and not have to clear UK immigration (I might be wrong on that, it has been 4 years since I connected at LHR). If you fly directly from LHR to PRG, you would get your Schengen entry stamp at PRG (Note that although Czech Republic is not in the Euro zone [still has its own currency] it is in Schengen). You should get your Schengen exit stamp leaving PRG for LHR, where again I THINK you would be in-transit.

Thom

Which airlines?

The UK is not part of the Schengen group of countries but it doesn't greatly complicate things either.

Your baggage will still transfer through London and on to Prague without you seeing it (can confirm absolutely when airlines are known) and you will go to the transfer desk at LHR rather than the normal immigration lines where you will be routed on to the correct terminal for your next flight.

British Airways.

Allyson

Thom

Correct and assuming all is on the same ticket your luggage will be labeled to your final destination.

More about Amsterdam airport and its many facilities here: http://www.schiphol.nl/index_en.html

At lot of people are unaware of the interlining agreements, so you are not alone:)

You just need to tell the check-in agent and give them the other ticket details as they will not always be able to see them without prompting.

Mark I think we're talking about the same thing...what you're calling interlining I believe is what I'm calling codesharing, which is what many of the larger airlines are doing, the one that comes to mind immediately is the Star Alliance which includes Lufthansa, Air Canada, China Air, Austiran, Avianca, Egyptair, SAS, Swiss, TAP and United. There is another alliance that includes American but since I don't fly American or Delta, I'm not familiar with who's in it, i just auto know it's there. Anyway, if you book on one of the Star airlines your luggage should be transferred from the international flight to the domestic flight without any trouble. It's when one flight is with a non-member airline, say Lufthansa and American, that you might run into a problem with transferring bags.

WOW! What great information! Thanks everyone for your responses!

To be more specific - Flying from Houston to Nuremberg, changing planes in Amsterdam. Returning Budapest to Houston, changing again in Amsterdam. All flights are KLM

You will not have any trouble with your luggage. You will check it in Houston and claim it in Nuremberg and on the return you will check it in Budapest and claim it in Houston. When you arrive in Amsterdam you'll go through passport/immigration control and when you arrive in Nuremberg you'll claim your luggage and go because it's a domestic flight. Same on the return only you'll go through customs in Houston. Easy peasy! Have a great cruise. :D

Edited by Hydrokitty

To be more specific - Flying from Houston to Nuremberg, changing planes in Amsterdam. Returning Budapest to Houston, changing again in Amsterdam. All flights are KLM

Bags are checked through.

"Immigration"/passport control will be in Amsterdam where you get your Schengen visa stamp.

Customs will be in Nuremberg. After you´ve picked up your baggage you have to leave through the green "door" (unless you have something to declare, then it´s the red "door").

On the return flight bags are also checked through. Passport control (and this time immigration) plus customs will be at Houston only. You will also have a passport control in Amsterdam when leaving the Schengen area.

steamboats

Mark I think we're talking about the same thing...what you're calling interlining I believe is what I'm calling codesharing, which is what many of the larger airlines are doing

No, two completely different things :)

A codeshare is when one airline operates the flight, but others (often several) sell tickets using their own flight numbers.

An interline agreement will usually allow a single ticket to be issued covering flights from both airlines, or allow tickets to be linked so baggage can be seamlessly transferred.

Codeshares will usually be between close business partners or within a single alliance, interline agreements cut across all that and are often between what would otherwise be competing airlines.

No, two completely different things :)

A codeshare is when one airline operates the flight, but others (often several) sell tickets using their own flight numbers.

An interline agreement will usually allow a single ticket to be issued covering flights from both airlines, or allow tickets to be linked so baggage can be seamlessly transferred.

Codeshares will usually be between close business partners or within a single alliance, interline agreements cut across all that and are often between what would otherwise be competing airlines.

Thanks for the clarification, Mark.....I had no idea!

That was very helpful......I think.

My feelings also ;).

We're flying from US to Bucharest with a plane change (Lufthansa) in Munich. What procedures will we run into? Passport-wise and/or customs-wise.

I need simple words.

Edited by Shmoo here

My feelings also ;).

We're flying from US to Bucharest with a plane change (Lufthansa) in Munich. What procedures will we run into? Passport-wise and/or customs-wise.

I need simple words.

Although Romania is in the EU, it is NOT in the Schengen area (nor does Romania use the euro). When you get to Munich do NOT get stamped into Schengen (Germany and lots more), but rather look for "In-Transit". You will be processed by Romanian immigration upon arrival in Bucharest. Are you doing a Danube cruise to Budapest (or further)? If so, you will be stamped into Schengen when you get to Hungary. I'd GUESS that the boat would hold your passport, perhaps have to show the passports to the Bulgarians, the Serbs and the Croatians (and these guys would probably consider you in-transit and not even stamp your passport), and finally get you stamped into Schengen in Hungary. If you then fly home through Germany to the US, your Schengen exit stamp will be obtained in Germany, not Hungary. I think every river boat I've done in Europe held our passports (they "loaned" it back to me one day so that I could rent a car).

Your bags should be checked through to your final destination of Bucharest, and checked through to your first US stop on your return (if you have a connecting flight in the US, your bag can be checked through to your final destination, BUT you must claim your bag at the first US airport, walk it through US Customs, and can then deposit it at a bag drop on the other side of Customs).

Thom