Why Do YOU Think It IS

qsuzi

That there are so few HAL cruise reviews actually posted to the Cruise Critic " HAL Cruise Reviews" section compared to those posted for other cruise lines?

Edited by qsuzi

We have taken 5 cruises on HAL with the 6th coming soon. When I do a review for a different site, I am used to writing a paragraph or two as a summary of the experience. Cruise reviews seem to be quite long and detailed, and I am not used to or interested in doing more than quick summaries. Therefore, I have never done a cruise review for any cruise line.

My past experience with reviews in general is that the majority of them are from customers that are not satisfied. Maybe the lack of reviews is a good thing. My DW and I , just returned from a Eurodam cruise on Feb.22, we had the best time. I'm keeping it a secret and not posting a review,lol

I can't speak for anyone else, but I prefer the interaction / back & forth you get on the boards. Without the natural Q&A, many reviews come across as agenda driven, rather than balanced.

My past experience with reviews in general is that the majority of them are from customers that are not satisfied. Maybe the lack of reviews is a good thing. My DW and I , just returned from a Eurodam cruise on Feb.22, we had the best time. I'm keeping it a secret and not posting a review,lol

People who are unhappy do seem to have more interest in venting by writing reviews. I suppose those of us who have had positive experiences should write reviews (I still need to write one for my January cruise:o) to give a more rounded look at a ship/cruise line.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I prefer the interaction / back & forth you get on the boards. Without the natural Q&A, many reviews come across as agenda driven, rather than balanced.

Yes! Exactly. I read those reviews and just itch to ask questions!

Once in awhile a review will note, for example, that HAL does not do hot foods for room service breakfast. This provides wrong info for others reading and cannot be commented upon or corrected.

I really appreciate the reviews on this board!

I just about never go to the cruise review section of CC but I really like when people post their HAL reviews here. If they post on the review section, I think it's great if they copy and paste it on the HAL forum.

Why are there fewer HAL reviews? Have no idea. :)

I think it's because there are simply more cruisers on other cruise lines that have much larger ships. More cruisers equal more reviews.

Shorter cruises and larger ships mean EVEN MORE passengers than that... many other brands have a pretty thriving market for cruises under 7 days. HAL does next to none.

An argument could also be made for the fact that CC is "the internet" and insert all the HAL passenger stereotypes you want, as the majority of HAL passengers are older less will be online and less than that interested or even aware of online reviews being an option and/or how to do them

Shorter cruises and larger ships mean EVEN MORE passengers than that... many other brands have a pretty thriving market for cruises under 7 days. HAL does next to none.

An argument could also be made for the fact that CC is "the internet" and insert all the HAL passenger stereotypes you want, as the majority of HAL passengers are older less will be online and less than that interested or even aware of online reviews being an option and/or how to do them

Age stereotypes aside, I started cruising HAL in my 40s and because I am a mum, wife, still working and commuting 2.5 hours a day I just never find the time to do the structured CC review. I do post my reviews here and like the fact that I get feedback on what, if anything, readers want to know about the ship or the experience.

As a 'senior', I resent such a statement. I'm in the social security set and most of my friends are. Only one I know of does not use the internet frequently and are at least reasonably competent on line. They have tablets (though I don't) and use their smart phones.

I'm not sure what 'HAL passenger stereotypes' you reference especially seeing HAL has chosen to make it necessary for us to print our own luggage tags (or wait to get them at the pier), certainly encourages researching cruises on their website seeing the scarcity of brochures/Atlas, research deck plans and choose cabins, pre-register on line........ If we seniors are so techno imcompetent how do we manage to get find our cruises, get them booked, pre-register, pre-reserve our alternative dining, research HAL's offered excursions and get them booked on line? HAL expects us to be computer able.... so most of us must be?

Contradiction here as I see it and maybe a bit insulting.

Edited by sail7seas

As a 'senior', I resent such a statement. I'm in the social security set and most of my friends are. Only one I know of does not use the internet frequently and are at least reasonably competent on line. They have tablets (though I don't) and use their smart phones.

I'm not sure what 'HAL passenger stereotypes' you reference especially seeing HAL has chosen to make it necessary for us to print our own luggage tags (or wait to get them at the pier), certainly encourages researching cruises on their website seeing the scarcity of brochures/Atlas, pre-register on line........ If we seniors are so techno imcompetent how do we manage to get find our cruises, get them booked, pre-register, pre-reserve our alternative dining, research HAL's offered excursions and get them booked on line? HAL expects us to be computer able.... so most of us must be?

Here Here! Like :)

Hank

I'm not sure what 'HAL passenger stereotypes' you reference especially seeing HAL has chosen to make it necessary for us to print our own luggage tags (or wait to get them at the pier), certainly encourages researching cruises on their website seeing the scarcity of brochures/Atlas, research deck plans and choose cabins, pre-register on line........ If we seniors are so techno imcompetent how do we manage to get find our cruises, get them booked, pre-register, pre-reserve our alternative dining, research HAL's offered excursions and get them booked on line? HAL expects us to be computer able.... so most of us must be?

Yeah...I'm gonna go with this, too.

And I will add that, in my limited HAL experience, they have the absolute best onboard enrichment program/tutorial for using computers (Windows based). The classes are PACKED to overflowing with bald heads and gray hair.

Now, how that translates to reviews on some cruise-based forum like CC is up for independent evaluation.

Yeah...I'm gonna go with this, too.

And I will add that, in my limited HAL experience, they have the absolute best onboard enrichment program/tutorial for using computers (Windows based). The classes are PACKED to overflowing with bald heads and gray hair.

Now, how that translates to reviews on some cruise-based forum like CC is up for independent evaluation.

Very good point about the computer enrichment classes HAL offers.

I used to read the reviews in that section at one time, but having lurked here for quite awhile I'd gained quite a bit of info. Therefore, I found it so frustrating when reading a review that there was no way to comment. I recall one in particular that made so many outrageous claims about shipboard life on HAL (all negative, of course) and there was no way to refute them. So a real newbie would go away thinking those claims were true. I like the reviews posted here instead.

Off topic but Lizzie, you have a link to your e-mail and it didn't work for me.

Just wanted you to know in case there are people you would like to be able to reach you.

Edited by sail7seas

I suspect there are still a few folks like my parents who do not own a computer nor know how to use one. They depend on their travel agent (and occasionally on their computer-literate children) to do the things you mention.

Edited to add: They also do not have a cell phone, tablet, dvd player, ipod, or just about any other gadget you can think of....

Edited by cruisemom42

A few is likely the operative word. There are still a few people who don't have a cell phone, don't have cable tv, even some who may not have indoor plumbing. There are always some exceptions.

Like! Yes, insulting!

Plus, WHICH generation invented much of the technology in use today, hmmm? Bill Gates is near 60, Steve Jobs would be over 60, Steve Wozniak is 64, and they built their technology on the backs of the previous generation of computer scientists. I've been working with computers for nearly 30 years and have kept up rather well with the technology that I choose to.

Guess what, there are young 'uns who are technologically illiterate, too.

Like! Yes, insulting!

Plus, WHICH generation invented much of the technology in use today, hmmm? Bill Gates is near 60, Steve Jobs would be over 60, Steve Wozniak is 64, and they built their technology on the backs of the previous generation of computer scientists. I've been working with computers for nearly 30 years and have kept up rather well with the technology that I choose to.

Could not state it better!

Like! Yes, insulting!

Don't forget Al Gore (age 66) invented the Internet. :D :D