6/10 - 6/17 Solstice: Tracy Arm or Detour?

Pliny the Elder

Must say we got better end of deal.

Tiny little seal pups....too many to count

Gorgeous glacier

Captain did donuts at the glacier!!!!

So beautiful

Solstice 10-17.

Wow! Sounds fabulous. I am on the small catamaran excursion to the glacier and eventually Juneau. Did the excursion continue on from Endicott or was it cancelled?

Wow! Sounds fabulous. I am on the small catamaran excursion to the glacier and eventually Juneau. Did the excursion continue on from Endicott or was it cancelled?

The catamaran excursion still goes to the Dawes glacier in Endicott Arm. We have done Tracy Arm a few times in the past and did Endicott arm a few weeks ago. We found it just as spectacular as Tracy Arm

I am also sailing in two weeks and it isn't looking good to make it into Tracy Arm. We paid for the catamaran excursion which is not cheap and I really wanted to see Tracy Arm as every person says it is absolutely amazing.

Is the catamaran in Endicott comparable? I don't want to just see a glacier. I want to see all the amazing things that you apparently get to see as you make your way into TA.

Will they allow you to cancel and get a refund on the excursion in this case? Not that I would but just curious.

I am also sailing in two weeks and it isn't looking good to make it into Tracy Arm. We paid for the catamaran excursion which is not cheap and I really wanted to see Tracy Arm as every person says it is absolutely amazing.

Is the catamaran in Endicott comparable? I don't want to just see a glacier. I want to see all the amazing things that you apparently get to see as you make your way into TA.

Will they allow you to cancel and get a refund on the excursion in this case? Not that I would but just curious.

We took the catamaran trip the end of May this year we saw some amazing glacier calving, waterfalls and icebergs very similar to Tracy Arm.On the way back to Juneau we found 3 Orcas we watched for a while.We enjoyed the excursion a lot.

Having done TA several times over the years and never having made it to Sawyer Glacier I wish X would just stop scheduling this and make it an Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier schedule....we did a B2B a few weeks ago and the 1st week we attempted TA and AGAIN were turned back and then Endicott the next week and were successful our very first time cruising up there...to me there is very little difference other than TA is a MUCH longer narrower fjord so the ship has to go slow most of the way and about 6 miles from the glacier there is a very narrow S turn that the ice has a very hard time getting past and thats where we have always had to turn around...where as Endicott is pretty wide so you go relatively fast most of the way.....TA being narrow allows you closer views of the Arm but with the success rate of actually seeing the Glacier being so low I would prefer to just always go up Endicott and be practically guaranteed to get to the glacier....so the bottom line to me is to not be disappointed you don't go up TA but be happy you actually got to see the glacier cause if TA is attempted there is very little chance of actually getting to the glacier....:)

The detour is every bit as good. We did the catamaran from Dawes glacier and found ourselves in practically a minefield of whales, saw a half dozen eagles hunting and fighting over food, and saw a seal being birthed. We also witnessed plenty of glacier calving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by SetU2

I did Tracy Arm via Norwegian Sun July 2014 and we did reach the South Sawyer glacier but just from the distance.

Does Tracy Arm has more ice than usual this year? Or the Solstice is just bigger than most ships so harder to fit in TA compared to medium sized ships?

Will do this again this Sept via Solstice and have booked that catamaran tour, and hoping by September, the ice has already melted.

Edited by roquejo

The detour is every bit as good. We did the catamaran from Dawes glacier and found ourselves in practically a minefield of whales, saw a half dozen eagles hunting and fighting over food, and saw a seal being birthed. We also witnessed plenty of glacier calving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes.