Avalon : Amsterdam to Budapest:

janegraybc

Have never travelled with Avalon, but other cruise lines usually allow you to board any time and will hold your bags until your cabin is ready. (Usually mid-afternoon) you can then go exploring on your own knowing your bags are safely aboard.

From what I have read (not personal experience), Avalon is somewhat different. They have everyone meet at a hotel and transport them to the ship. You can drop off your bags there in the morning, spend some time wandering around town and then return to the hotel mid-afternoon for the transfer to the ship.

When do you board the ship? And what can we do with our luggage that day? We will be staying at a hotel near the airport the night before we start our cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Jane,

I had the same question a while back and got the same answers. Avalon told me they will notify us 3 days before the cruise exactly where to meet them.

Which sailing are u on? We are doing Illumination May 4.

We've done Avalon twice now. Once Amsterdam to Basel and once Vienna to Amsterdam. They gather up everyone at a hotel. The one they use in Amsterdam is the Movenpick and it's right on the docks. They have a reception room with water, coffee, tea, and sodas. After our transfer from the airport dropped us off, we left our bags in the hospitality room and walked over to the Old town. It was a good thing to keep moving after the overnight flight. Once we sat down, we wanted to crash! We explored Old Town and found a little cafe for a pizza and a beer, then walked back to the hotel. Around 3:30 or so, they boarded us up on a bus and drove us a very short distance to the boat.

Pretty much the same scenario out of Vienna.

we did same cruise last june the hotel avalon used was right by the dock . we were meet at the airport (we had to meet at a certain point in the airport)and transported to the hotel and told we could wait there or go into amsterdam but be back by i think it was 4pm so we all could go to the ship together. they took our bags at airport and never saw them again till we were on board the ship.enjoy your trip the staff exceptional. I am on gluten free diet and the waiter would meet me at door of the dinning room with freshly baked bread .and all menu s were adapted for me .

Has anyone taken the Cesky Krumlov your? How was it? Worth the price?

On our last cruise, the CK tour was an option but we chose the Salzburg option because my bride had never been there. (It was my fourth time but I did it for her.) Those on our ship that went to CK raved about it. We'll be cruising through there again this summer so will go on the CK option this time.

The currency of Hungary is the HUF. You should be able to easily convert your Euros to the Forint or HUF. Probably, the Euro (and even the US dollar will be accepted pretty much everywhere tourists hang out but the exchange rate might not be too favorable. Most, but not all, places will take credit cards.

I recommend getting HUF - especially for a longer stay - but I got by for the 30 hours I stayed in Budapest without changing money. You will get more favourable rates if you pay in forints. Be aware that when you pay in euros you are likely to get change in forints. Touristy places might do the whole transaction in euros, though.

notamermaid