The "hill"

suzinva

I haven't been to Roatan for a number of years and just booked a 2020 cruise going there. Last time, we used Victor Bodden for a private tour and had to hike a god-awful hill from the port to where we met our tour guide. Is this still the case? They dropped us off at the top of the hill on the way back, I believe. Thanks!

I haven't been to Roatan for a number of years and just booked a 2020 cruise going there. Last time, we used Victor Bodden for a private tour and had to hike a god-awful hill from the port to where we met our tour guide. Is this still the case? They dropped us off at the top of the hill on the way back, I believe. Thanks!
If you booked a Carnival, Princess or HAL ship in 2020, you'll have to walk over the hill. It's not really that bad. The slope from the dock to the shopping center entrance is almost as steep and longer. I've seen "old" guys rolling themselves up in wheelchairs without problems.

If you booked a NCL, RCCL, or other ship, you'll dock in Coxen Hole and avoid the hill altogether.

Sent from my Acer Chromebook R11 (CB5-132T / C738T) using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

My husband barely made it up the hill from the dock to the shopping area. He did not want to even attempt to get to the taxi cabs, especially since we did not know how far it would end up being. So my 10 year old and I had a private tour.

Well the government isn't recommending LFK. In fact, many agencies in the central government are now looking into LFK, their lack of permits and their environmental destruction. It's hit the news now.

We’ve already been through this on another thread and a different poster said it perfectly.

I believe the Diamond Key on Utilia (which isn't that accessible from Roatan for cruisers with limited time in port) was on one of the HGTV shows last year. 2 Americans looking to set up a place on Utilia. Can't remember if they bought that key or another rplace.

As far as the animals on LFK, the "confiscation" was initiated by the owners of a resort on Sandy bay and Maya Key and in conjunction with a development to include animals on Big French Key. Political/ competition, use of government to enrich one party at expense of another, typical Central American actions. Can't opine on reef as not sure what "damage" is being done. Hard to tell what's in the boats, actual coral or simply seagrass, seaweed, etc.

BTW, Mahogany Bay is itself a "repurposing " of a natural runoff outlet. The area was known as Dixon's Cove and had to be dredged several times as runoff from the surrounding hills still fills the silty bottom. At one time the beach there housed an environmental youth camp ground that had financial difficulties. The buildings at the beach housing the gift shop and restaurants were built for that camp.

Thus one could argue that all development on Roatan and Utilia are "bad", even though the locals are supplied with better jobs than before.

If they want to make a sensational news piece, they may want to get actual, recent footage. The jaguar with the chain that was swimming was Simba. They no longer have him as sadly he was unlawfully taken in from them a couple years back in a raid that was mentioned previously. I had the opportunity to swim with him and he showed no sign of stress and actually loved the water. The chain was mostly to make the people feel better about having a large cat out of the cage. Never was he pulled or dragged by it. It remained loose at all times. No different than one you would use for your big, strong dog. Are you saying dogs shouldn’t’ be be walked on leashes that are chains?

The jaguars that they now do interactions with in the water Esther, Sarah, and Suri are not chained and they certainly aren’t drugged. I will continue to support LFK and their workers who depend on it to take care of their families. You will not change my mind and I will speak of what I see with my own eyes. I’m actually in the process of figuring out dates to go back.

The owners of LFK claim the confiscation was initiated by Maya Key. Doesn't mean it was. Who else is saying that? Where is your proof? In fact, after the confiscation, a few birds were sent to Maya Key and they forwarded them to Macaw Mountain because they couldn't properly care for them at Maya. Macaw Mountain acknowledged they had to rehabilitate the birds before they could release them back to the wild. If it was about competition and Maya "stealing" LFKs animals, why would they keep none? Your argument has no logic. Especially since you say you've been in Roatan 3 times and went to LFK every time and it's the only reason you get off the boat. So it seems that your opinion is ONLY coming from the people at LFK and isn't well informed.

Besides, these posts are about their destruction of the environment.

There are now acknowledgements by the municipality of Roatan, the Secretary of Natural Resources and Environment, and the Merchant Marine about their destructive activities on the reef. But I guess you know better than the government of Honduras ... even with the evidence of the destruction of Diamond Key and LFK's own web sites.

You can go on supporting businesses that are destroying the reef. But I'm hoping many people will make better choices than you.

The owners of LFK claim the confiscation was initiated by Maya Key. Doesn't mean it was. Who else is saying that? Where is your proof? In fact, after the confiscation, a few birds were sent to Maya Key and they forwarded them to Macaw Mountain because they couldn't properly care for them at Maya. Macaw Mountain acknowledged they had to rehabilitate the birds before they could release them back to the wild. If it was about competition and Maya "stealing" LFKs animals, why would they keep none? Your argument has no logic. Especially since you say you've been in Roatan 3 times and went to LFK every time and it's the only reason you get off the boat. So it seems that your opinion is ONLY coming from the people at LFK and isn't well informed.

Besides, these posts are about their destruction of the environment.

There are now acknowledgements by the municipality of Roatan, the Secretary of Natural Resources and Environment, and the Merchant Marine about their destructive activities on the reef. But I guess you know better than the government of Honduras ... even with the evidence of the destruction of Diamond Key and LFK's own web sites.

You can go on supporting businesses that are destroying the reef. But I'm hoping many people will make better choices than you.

It wasn't just Maya Key if you read the whole thing. Where did I say I've been to Roatan only 3 times? I didn't. I said I've been to LFK 3 times. I've done Western cruises many times and they have stopped in Roatan. LFK is the only reason I get off the ship now there.

Since you are basing your opinion only on what the government says (or people that are against LFK for political/competitive reasons) then you aren't well informed, either. There are 2 sides to every story. I suppose there's no corruption in government right? Especially in other countries :rolleyes:. One of my issues with these accusations are, obviously LFK and Utila have been under development for quite some time. Construction of that magnitude isn't something that's done in the dead of night with no one aware of it. If it was illegal, then why was it not stopped? Why don't you read what the owner has said, or better yet, next time you're in Roatan, go ask yourself. I'm sure they would love the opportunity to give their side of what is going on. You can email them and they can meet you at Frenchy's 44. If you did that, then maybe you could be a little more informed and feel not so hostile.

As far as the development, then, yes. They have transformed the places. Happens every day when people build things. While we might not like it, as long as there are people, they will be altering the earth. I wonder what kind of impact cruise ship piers have caused to marine life? Probably quite a bit. Yet they still build them to bring dollars into the countries. Why? Because their people are dependent on tourists to feed their families. Inexperienced divers destroy/damage reefs everyday when they don't control their buoyancy by kicking the reef with their fins. I've seen it myself. Perhaps we should ban divers without experience.

I have brought many people (close to 200 or so) to LFK and they all agree that it is a wonderful place and they all plan on going back. I can assure you that if any of us saw any type of animal abuse, we certainly would not return. I will not do dolphin swims due to how they are captured and treated. Maybe you don't feel the same?

If LFK is doing something they shouldn't, then they deserve their day in court, to pay any applicable fines, and to have the appropriate punishments enforced for breaking the law. But I will not boycott a place that has the most wonderful people working for them based upon hearsay without a proper trial. We all know that anyone (even the government) can accuse anyone of anything at anytime. They can then go on later to retract their statements because they were false, but it won't matter as the damage has been done. So until they see this thing through the proper channels, I will continue my support. If you don't like it - that's fine.

If LFK is doing something they shouldn't, then they deserve their day in court, to pay any applicable fines, and to have the appropriate punishments enforced for breaking the law. But I will not boycott a place that has the most wonderful people working for them based upon hearsay without a proper trial. We all know that anyone (even the government) can accuse anyone of anything at anytime. They can then go on later to retract their statements because they were false, but it won't matter as the damage has been done. So until they see this thing through the proper channels, I will continue my support. If you don't like it - that's fine.

The reef destruction is evident. This is something they shouldn't do. The island in Diamond Key was for sale as a pristine island in the summer of last year. So everything that has happened to that island has been in less than a year.

As for the "rescue" part, from where exactly in Honduras does one "rescue" white lions - a highly endangered species from the African continent, not Central America, of which there are only about 300 in the entire world? Why would Macaw Mountain have to have spent months and months rehabilitating the birds they rescued from LFK before they could set them free back into the wild? Doesn't sound much like a rescue to me.

As for "proper trial", you seem to think the entire government of Honduras including all the involved agencies is corrupt anyway. So why would you expect a proper trial? Seems contradictory. But when all your information comes from the owner of LFK, I wouldn't expect different.

The reef destruction is evident. This is something they shouldn't do. The island in Diamond Key was for sale as a pristine island in the summer of last year. So everything that has happened to that island has been in less than a year.

As for the "rescue" part, from where exactly in Honduras does one "rescue" white lions - a highly endangered species from the African continent, not Central America, of which there are only about 300 in the entire world? Why would Macaw Mountain have to have spent months and months rehabilitating the birds they rescued from LFK before they could set them free back into the wild? Doesn't sound much like a rescue to me.

As for "proper trial", you seem to think the entire government of Honduras including all the involved agencies is corrupt anyway. So why would you expect a proper trial? Seems contradictory. But when all your information comes from the owner of LFK, I wouldn't expect different.

They got the lions from a circus. I can’t remember where exactly as I was only half listening when I was playing with them. Due to pressure from the public, many of them are going out of business and don’t have a need for the animals anymore. Oh and for the future, they are getting some camels from a zoo that is shutting down in Mexico I believe they said very shortly. Just in case you wonder “Where in Honduras” you would get some. Answer is: you don’t necessarily get them from Honduras.

If they have their day in court and they are found to be in the wrong, then they deserve any punishment they get. But until then, it’s nothing but a smear campaign. I don’t know of a case off the top of my head where any other government would tell people not to patronize a business without the proper legal channels being gone through. If they are operating without permits then they should be shut down immediately, not have a statement issued.

While yeah it’s not optimal that they developed the island to many people, if they did so legally, then that’s their right. The way to counter act that is to go buy some land yourself and keep it the way it is.

Edited by firemanbobswife

They got the lions from a circus.

This makes me laugh hysterically. White lions! From a Honduran circus! Not just lions but white lions that are extremely rare. And the response from LFK owner - the gypsy circus owner living hand to mouth. Really! If that were the case, they could have sold the EXTREMELY rare white lions to just about any place in the world for 100s of thousands each! Perhaps I should find the gypsy circus owners and tell them they can sell their white lion pups to rich Americans for a ton of money so they don't have to live hand to mouth.

And if it wasn't from a Honduran circus, it would be from some other country and they would have permits and paperwork. Perhaps you don't understand how much paperwork is even required to bring a dog into the country! So where is the paperwork for all the non-indigenous animals they have. They should be able to show it to anybody that asks. Especially since it was obviously very recent - the lions are still babies.

And bringing camels to a tiny little cay in the Caribbean! Wow, very very humane.

Beyond one lion, there is nothing "rescue" about this place. And if they were really concerned about the welfare of the animals, they would give them to a real rescue or rehab center.

And the word of the owner against allegations with no evidence to back up his claims isn't great evidence. Honestly, this should be so easy for him to dispute simply by producing the permits. He could put this all to rest very quickly.

This makes me laugh hysterically. White lions! From a Honduran circus! Not just lions but white lions that are extremely rare. And the response from LFK owner - the gypsy circus owner living hand to mouth. Really! If that were the case, they could have sold the EXTREMELY rare white lions to just about any place in the world for 100s of thousands each! Perhaps I should find the gypsy circus owners and tell them they can sell their white lion pups to rich Americans for a ton of money so they don't have to live hand to mouth.

And if it wasn't from a Honduran circus, it would be from some other country and they would have permits and paperwork. Perhaps you don't understand how much paperwork is even required to bring a dog into the country! So where is the paperwork for all the non-indigenous animals they have. They should be able to show it to anybody that asks. Especially since it was obviously very recent - the lions are still babies.

And bringing camels to a tiny little cay in the Caribbean! Wow, very very humane.

Beyond one lion, there is nothing "rescue" about this place. And if they were really concerned about the welfare of the animals, they would give them to a real rescue or rehab center.

And the word of the owner against allegations with no evidence to back up his claims isn't great evidence. Honestly, this should be so easy for him to dispute simply by producing the permits. He could put this all to rest very quickly.

Again, your reading comprehension is lacking. Where did I say from a Honduran circus? I didn’t. I said I didn’t know. They are Lion “cubs” BTW, not “pups”. And who’s to say they got them for free? I don’t know for sure as I didn’t ask, but it wouldn’t surprise me to find out that they did have to pay for them. I would probably do the same thing if I knew of animal(s) that were in need of a home and the people who had them required a payment. Like these poor animals on Craig’s List. As much as I might think it’s wrong, if it meant giving it a better home, I would. Maybe the circus is purposefully breeding them for profit and saying it was an accidental breeding and they don’t have the means to care for them? I have no idea and I’m not about to speculate.

Either way, I feel confident they will have a better home at LFK vs wherever they came from. They are being hand raised indoors and plenty of outdoor time with people and are very well cared for. But like you said, they need paperwork to bring them in, so I don’t see how they could have gotten them there without it. If they didn’t go through the proper channels, then by making it so public that they have the animals would be foolish. I give him a lot more credit than that. It’s not like they are locked away in a basement away from the public eye and you have to have the password and $100 to see them.

I’m not sure why it would be inhumane to bring a couple camels when they are currently in a zoo in who knows what conditions. They bought land on Big French Key and have built enclosures there. If they are such a horrible business, why has the government allowed them to purchase more land, build, and still operate? If they are doing things so illegally, then again I ask, why aren’t they immediately shut down? Which if they are so in the wrong, I would agree with. But by just making statements and not acting, then it shows IMHO that it’s simply a way to divert business to other operations that are perhaps owned by Hondurans.