Just off the SUN July 30 sailing

Fogfog

How was Havana? You mention going back. Do you have any recommendations of places not to miss or ones you wish you had explored more?

Here is my post re Havana

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2663697

I also have post 58 here re nightlife

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2610475&page=3

I submitted a review of the NCL Sun yet its been more than a week and its not been published. Not sure what passes for a review and what doesn't. Have written reviews for Celebrity and Carnival as well and those didn't get posted. Was surprised that the post cruise NCL survey asks specifically about pre-post cruising and research etc. Don't know if CC pwners/etc gets $ or preference from NCL or other cruise lines

Read the review with interest - we will be on the SUN in 17 days for our 4 day Cuba cruise. Out of the 26 cruises we have taken, this will be our shortest cruise and we selected it for the Havana stop. We have sailed with NCLs other bigger and medium sized ships (Jade, Escape) enjoying all 3 of the cruises. If you are not totally turned off, I would suggest trying it on one of the Jewel class ships in a Haven cabin or a suite.

I think I will change my reservation to the Bistro - we like all of the specialty restaurants we've eaten on NCL but do not like the close proximity of the tables.

Thank you for the heads up - we figured this would be a booze cruise but will now be more prepared. Looking forward to Havana and then Celebrity Edge so this won't be so bad.

This was the shortest cruise we have done and we chose it for the Havana port and how the timing fit for us.

Cagney's tables are too close together...we were in the middle of the room at a 4 top. Had I known they could move us to Bistro--we would have asked. We figured we were stuck with a bad evening.

Plus the food at Cagney's was a Miss. 2 ribeyes and one NY strip were very sub par.

Please let us know how Bistro is.

TYIA

Here is my post re Havana

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2663697

I also have post 58 here re nightlife

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2610475&page=3

I submitted a review of the NCL Sun yet its been more than a week and its not been published. Not sure what passes for a review and what doesn't. Have written reviews for Celebrity and Carnival as well and those didn't get posted. Was surprised that the post cruise NCL survey asks specifically about pre-post cruising and research etc. Don't know if CC pwners/etc gets $ or preference from NCL or other cruise lines

Thank you, very informative. Appreciate it!

Going on the Sun in a few months for a Panama Transit cruise. Definitely appreciate your feedback on the dining! We find every ship tends to be different. In our first NCL Le Bistro was our favorite, on the next it was our least favorite. We will look to book Le Bistro over Cagneys on our upcoming sailing. Thanks for the tips!

thanks for a very fair and objective review on the Sun. I only have to ask one question: how does one decide what is the proper way to hold a fork? Other than that I share your feeling about the ship for the most part: and yes, like you we are not lovers of Cagney's. The tables are way to close together and we have had good but not outstanding food there. Yet, we know others that will eat there 2 and 3 times on each sailing.

There is a proper way to hold a fork and a knife but few care anymore. Symbolic of our society.

I have read that shorts are allowed for men in one of the MDRs. Can you confirm? If so, roughly what percentage of men were dressed in shorts? I don't want to stick out, but I'd also love to not have to change every night for dinner.

The Four Seasons allows shorts. A good percentage wear shorts or jeans. The Seven Seas requires pants for dinner only. Again, jeans are just fine.

Only two restaurants require pants, Le Bistro and Seven Seas.