Nearest airport to Cape liberty, NJ

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

503 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Hello,

My brother is going on a cruise out of New Jersey, Cape liberty port to Bermuda. Does anyone know which airport is the nearest/most convenient? Is this far from New York? Would it be preferable to fly to NY instead of NJ and, if so, what type of transportation would you recommend?

Thanks,
Dorie
Now in SE Florida from NY
7,681 Posts
Joined Sep 2004
Newark Liberty Airport is the closest by far of the 3 NYC area airports. JFK and LaG are in Queens many miles away.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
<marquee>Mr. Incredible</marquee>

PLUS.

OHIO
1,272 Posts
Joined Aug 2002
Newark. Also not a bad place to drive--we are from Ohio and drove with some friends. Spent the night in a Summerfield Suite about 45 minutes from the port. Got a nice rooms for about $100.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Linda/Ohio
2015 Enchantment of the Seas
2013 Majesty of the Seas
2013 Enchantment of the Seas
2012 Jewel of the Seas
2012 Monarch of the Seas
2011 Jewel of the Seas
2011 Radiance of the Seas
2009 Jewel of the Seas
2008 Explorer Of The Seas
2007 Enchantment Of The Seas
2006 Jewel Of The Seas
2005 Voyager Of The Seas
2005 Majesty Of The Seas
2005 Enchantment Of The Seas
2004 Empress Of The Seas
2003 Majesty Of The Seas
2002 Brilliance Of The Seas
2000 Westerdam
1999 Enchantment Of The Seas
23,077 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
It is about a 25$ taxi ride to the port from newark airport
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Liberty Travel-Flight Centre USA
Fredericksburg, VA USA
5,302 Posts
Joined Oct 2002
I've marked all three major airports in the NY area on my Bayonne map:

http://cruisetip.tpkeller.com/maps/p...hp?mapid=nybay

Take the advice from people who are in the area, but this will give you a picture.

If you click on the Bayonne dock marker, and then click on the "From here" direction link, you can enter the three letter airport code to get a map and directions to the airports. To Newark (EWR) it is only 9.1 miles.

Theron
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Click here to tell me stuff
-----------------------------------------------------
NCL Getaway 2/21/2016 Western | Enchantment of the Seas 10/28/2013 Bahamas | Enchantment of the Seas 1/5/2013 Eastern | NCL Epic 11/24/12 Eastern | Enchantment of the Seas 8/3/12 Bermuda | Enchantment of the Seas 2/18/12 The Bahamas | Enchantment of the Seas 9/22/11 Canada&NE | Enchantment of the Seas 5/28/11 Bermuda | Oasis of the Seas 5/15/10 Western | Freedom of the Seas 8/2/09 Western | Grandeur of the Seas 5/30/09 Bermuda | Adventure of the Seas 10/26/08 Southern | Vision of the Seas 12/9/07 Mexican Riviera | Grandeur of the Seas 8/19/07 Bermuda | Empress of the Seas 5/26/07 Bermuda | Grandeur of the Seas 10/27/06 Western | Grandeur of the Seas 10/28/05 Western | Explorer of the Seas 9/27/03 Western | Celebrity Century 9/28/02 Eastern (Thanks to Lili) | [133 days at sea! and counting!]
-----------------------------------------------------
[Cruise Tip Calculator - calculate the amount and type of bills you need to stuff your tipping envelopes]
[Version 2.1: Cruise Maps - a growing collection of cruise related maps from all over]
[Cruise Tools - Cruise Budget Spreadsheet - Plan your cruise costs]
[Theron's Albums - Photo albums of previous cruises and other places]
Sanford NC
2,010 Posts
Joined Jul 2002
You definitely want to use Newark. Even if the others looked closer, the traffic from the NYC would kill you. The Newark airport is at exit 14 of the NJ Turnpike, Bayonne is at exit 14C on the Newark Bay Extension of the NJTP(also known as the eastern spur). I don't know the mileage, but it can't be much more than 10 miles. BTW I'm from Central Jersey, but I work in North Jersey & travel that area a lot.
33,947 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
Originally posted by Dorie7
Hello,

My brother is going on a cruise out of New Jersey, Cape liberty port to Bermuda. Does anyone know which airport is the nearest/most convenient? Is this far from New York? Would it be preferable to fly to NY instead of NJ and, if so, what type of transportation would you recommend?

Thanks,
Dorie
Your brother should come into Newark Airport. If he comes in the day before there is the Newark Best Western that offers a Park and cruise package and they provide shuttle to Cape Liberty and also to Newark Airport. The number is 877-442-0992. Rate is 155.00 plus tax for 2 people and includes breakfast. A few people used it from my Oct. cruise and they seemed pleased.
New Jersey
3,182 Posts
Joined May 2005
Originally posted by aqhacruiser
Your brother should come into Newark Airport. If he comes in the day before there is the Newark Best Western that offers a Park and cruise package and they provide shuttle to Cape Liberty and also to Newark Airport. The number is 877-442-0992. Rate is 155.00 plus tax for 2 people and includes breakfast. A few people used it from my Oct. cruise and they seemed pleased.
I live in NJ and NEWARK airport is your best bet. The traffic through NY is so unpredictable and nerve wracking...no way to start a vacation! Also, the view of NY on the NJ side (if you should go for a taxi $$ tour to Liberty Park, JC) is very nice too.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Vinny and Barbara

Celebrity Summit July 2017 (Bermuda)
Carnival Sunshine Aug. 2016 (Caribbean)

Norwegian Breakaway Oct. 2015 (Bermuda)

Royal Caribbean EOS Oct. 2014 (Bermuda changed to Canada)
Royal Caribbean EOS July 2014 (Bermuda & Caribbean)
Celebrity Summit July 2013 (Bermuda)
Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas Oct. 2012 (Bermuda)
Norwegian Gem July 2012 (Florida/Bahamas)
Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas Oct. 2011 (Bermuda)
Carnival Miracle July 2011 (Bahamas)
Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas Oct. 2010 (Bermuda)
Caribbean Princess June 2009
Carnival Miracle June 2008 (Caribbean)
Norwegian Crown June 2007 (Bermuda)
Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas June 2006
Carnival Legend 2005 (Caribbean)
Carnival Legend 2004 (Caribbean)
Carnival Legend 2003 (Caribbean)
Carnival Triumph 2002 (Canada)
Carnival Victory 2001 (Canada)
Regal Empress 2000 (Bahamas)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Regal_Empress
antique ship-interesting!

San Francisco
3,744 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
I'm planning a cruise from Cape Liberty, New Jersey and I understand that the Newark Liberty Airport is the one to fly into. If one stays in Cape Liberty, New Jersey is there inexpensive transit options to get into New York City? Is there things to do in Cape Liberty, New Jersey? Do any hotels offer transportation from the airport and to the cruise terminal?

Thanks!

Tom
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

USS Coral Sea, CVA 43, 1966-1967
Central Illinois
113,925 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Originally posted by trbarton
I'm planning a cruise from Cape Liberty, New Jersey and I understand that the Newark Liberty Airport is the one to fly into. If one stays in Cape Liberty, New Jersey is there inexpensive transit options to get into New York City? Is there things to do in Cape Liberty, New Jersey? Do any hotels offer transportation from the airport and to the cruise terminal?

Thanks!

Tom
The best place to ask these questions is on the East Coast Departures forum. There are many helpful and knowledgable folks there:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=415
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bob

Past Cruises

Celebrity: Mercury
RCCL: Adventure, Allure, Brilliance, Enchantment, Explorer, Freedom, Independence, Legend, Liberty, Majesty, Mariner, Monarch, Navigator, Oasis, Radiance, Rhapsody, Serenade, Sovereign, Vision, Voyager
Palm Springs, Calif
41,153 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
For those living in NJ, we will be flying into Newark next October 16, before flying up to Quebec for a cruise on the 19th and staying at the Hampton Suites in Elizabeth. I was told to take the Path into the WTC. We wish to spend some time in NYC and see the 9/11 Museum & Memorial along with the Statue of Liberty for starters. Once we arrive at the WTC, what is the best way to get to the 9/11 Museum & Memorial.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email: GLea472968 at aol dot com
Alternate : Lea dot [email protected] dot between the Lea&gaye

Excel Oasis Spreadsheet: https://1drv.ms/x/s!AvfqBeEKG865gSu7t7VVj8k3h1jG
Merion, Pennsylvania
59,061 Posts
Joined Oct 2003
Originally posted by clarea
The best place to ask these questions is on the East Coast Departures forum. There are many helpful and knowledgable folks there:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=415
Originally posted by Desert Cruizers
For those living in NJ, we will be flying into Newark next October 16, before flying up to Quebec for a cruise on the 19th and staying at the Hampton Suites in Elizabeth. I was told to take the Path into the WTC. We wish to spend some time in NYC and see the 9/11 Museum & Memorial along with the Statue of Liberty for starters. Once we arrive at the WTC, what is the best way to get to the 9/11 Museum & Memorial.
As Bob wrote, you should use the East Coast Departures forum, whose link he provided.
NJ
408 Posts
Joined Dec 2007
Originally posted by Desert Cruizers
The 9/11 museum is at the WTC site. Follow the signs when you get there. (I also.live in NJ).
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Quark "Ocean Nova" Classic Antarctica (2008) Holland America "Volendam" Australia & New Zealand (2011) Royal Caribbean "Liberty of the Seas" Bermuda (2015) NCL "Norwegian Gem" Canada & New England (2016)

2,924 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Originally posted by aqhacruiser
I would DEFINITELY plan on flying in at least a day ahead. All of the NYC airports are infamous for delays in and out - and that's definitely no way to begin a vacation.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
beth

*~*~*~

Past Cruises ~ 4/1983 - SS Emerald Seas, Bahamas; 7/2013 - Disney Dream, Bahamas; 2/2014 - Disney Dream, Bahamas; 7/2014 - HAL ms Westerdam, Alaska; 2/2015 - Disney Fantasy, Eastern Caribbean; 7/2015 - RCCL Radiance of the Seas, Alaska; 7/2016 - RCCL Brilliance of the Seas, Mediterranean/Venice; 12/2016 - fathom Adonia, Cuba; 2/2017 - Disney Magic, Bahamas; 4/2017 - fathom Adonia, Cuba and Dominican Republic
Future Cruises ~2/2018 - Disney Wonder, Eastern Caribbean; 3/2018 - Ruby Princess, Classic California Coast; 7/2018 - Jewel of the Seas, Greek Isles; 2/2019 - Celebrity Edge, Western Caribbean; 4/2019 - Royal Princess, Mexican Riviera
13,480 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
Originally posted by WrittenOnYourHeart
I would DEFINITELY plan on flying in at least a day ahead. All of the NYC airports are infamous for delays in and out - and that's definitely no way to begin a vacation.
The post you quoted is from 2006. I bet that ship has already sailed.
NE Ohio - GO TRIBE
45,940 Posts
Joined Oct 2004
Originally posted by trbarton

Thanks!

Tom
We just returned from a cruise on Liberty out of Port Liberty. When we cruise out of Port Liberty we stay at Embassy Suites Newark Airport which has a complimentary shuttle to the hotel from the airport. We took a taxi from the hotel to the airport and it was $65. Country Inn and Suites, which is right across the parking lot from Embassy, offers a shuttle to the cruise port for $35pp.

From the ship to the airport RCI transfers are $28.50pp, Airport Shuttle Bus (independent of RCI) is also $28.50pp. We chose to splurge and use a taxi which was $68.30 (includes toll fee). We were off the ship at 9:30 and sitting in the UA lounge at 10:30.

I don't think the word "inexpensive" even exists in New Jersey or New York.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Patti (& Jim)
Pinnacle Club

New Jersey
2,692 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Originally posted by cruisenfever
We just returned from a cruise on Liberty out of Port Liberty. When we cruise out of Port Liberty we stay at Embassy Suites Newark Airport which has a complimentary shuttle to the hotel from the airport. We took a taxi from the hotel to the airport and it was $65. Country Inn and Suites, which is right across the parking lot from Embassy, offers a shuttle to the cruise port for $35pp.

From the ship to the airport RCI transfers are $28.50pp, Airport Shuttle Bus (independent of RCI) is also $28.50pp. We chose to splurge and use a taxi which was $68.30 (includes toll fee). We were off the ship at 9:30 and sitting in the UA lounge at 10:30.

I don't think the word "inexpensive" even exists in New Jersey or New York.
You got that right.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Madeline
5 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
Originally posted by barbaragrace
I live in NJ and NEWARK airport is your best bet. The traffic through NY is so unpredictable and nerve wracking...no way to start a vacation! Also, the view of NY on the NJ side (if you should go for a taxi $$ tour to Liberty Park, JC) is very nice too.
I see that you have gone to Bermuda many times. We are going there for the first time. What are cool things to do?