Advice for parents in mid-70s

Raeburn6111

Thank you for all of these replies!!

I should have specified that we are in Australia.

My family (me included!) always takes out travel insurance... I have never had to use it on any of my semi-regular international travels, but I figure insurance is exactly that: for the "just in case" scenario....

If you are picky about your itinerary and cabin you might need to put in a deposit very early. That starts the clock for pre-existing conditions. It isn’t so much the timing of the final payment.

is exactly right. Due to mobility issues, Mum wants to be close to the reception desk (we had cabin 200 on a Viking Longboat and it was perfect!)....also keen to go on the Grand European Tour from Budapest to Amsterdam....so that is why they need to book a long way in advance.

I will send my parents the link to this thread as it may give them so ideas to think about if they find they do need to cancel their trip due to ill health (eg will their credit card insurance cover it?also look into annual travel insurance...) Thanks for these suggestions! :D

We have used travel insurance through USAA partner for the last several years. We have had to use it twice. Once when American cancelled our flight from Dublin and would not route us out till next day. They covered hotel and dog sitting, as we had to fight later with American to get our due compensation. Then last December, last day of river cruise and then one week in Germany, one of our traveling companions became very ill, went to ER by ambulance in Passau and was admitted for a week. They German hospital system was great and inexpensive compared to U S. Travel ins paid for missed hotels and tours, as well as hotel we had to stay in Passau and transportation. All of us are in our 60s, but you never know.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Did you call the main USAA number to get hooked up with this service?