"LIVE" from Quantum of the Seas - Nov. 21, 2014

Radio

Hello everyone. . . It makes me very happy to say that tomorrow I will be leaving for my pre cruise Hotel in New Jersey. On November 21, I will be ready to board the newest ship in the fleet . . . Quantum of the Seas.

It was February 2011 when Royal Caribbean first announced that they ordered a new class of ship (Sunshine Class) that would be ready for delivery in the fall of 2014. It is now fall 2014 and I will soon be boarding this magnificent vessel.

It is only a 2 night Pre Inaugural Cruise, and there won’t be too much time to explore. I will try to get to as many places as possible for this short cruise.

There will be many images shared as well as my comments about this beautiful ship. These will include public areas, cabins and entertainment. Those who have followed my “LIVE” reports know that I don’t spend much time on food images (there are many excellent reporters of such delights) I am hoping for a fast connection. I am looking forward to the O3b satellite network that should give me all of the speed and bandwidth to share all of these images at sea.

I booked this Cruise when RCI announced that Quantum was open for reservations. I am travelling solo and I heard that there were 28 Studio Cabins designed for single travelers. 12 of these are the Super Studio Ocean View Stateroom with Balcony (119 sq ft). A Studio Balcony ? . . . I had to try one. It is a little small but it might be cozy to “watch the news” for a few moments after a post . . . .

It has been a year since my last “LIVE” Post on a Royal Caribbean ship. In 2014, I cheated and went on a few other ships. Carnival Pride (Jan 2014), Carnival Splendor (Apr 2014), and Norwegian Breakaway (Oct 2014). It will be nice to get back to Royal Caribbean which I frequent most often.

This will really be a “preview” Cruise for me since I will be sailing a delightful 10 night Cruise in a few weeks (Jan 2015). I will have my “sea legs” by then and will enjoy the warmth of the Eastern Caribbean. Many have suggested that the design is similar to the hull design of Celebrity Solstice Class ships. I sailed Celebrity Silhouette back in 2012 and will look for any comparisons.

There is no Starbucks Kiosk on board like Oasis Class ships, but I have heard that Starbucks is still present as they sell the “We Proudly Serve” Starbucks in on the Royal Esplanade.

So sit back and relax as I will be excited to bring you this “LIVE” from Quantum of the Seas report . . . It should be a lot of fun !

Radio

Quantum of the Seas at Meyer Werft Shipyard in Papenburg, Germany

QUST.jpg

©Royal Caribbean International

H2O Zone on Quantum of the Seas

QNH2.jpg

Cape Liberty Cruise Port the day before arrival of Quantum of the Seas

QNCL2.jpg

©OxBlue

Quantum of the Seas cutaway

QN3D.jpg

Aerial view of Quantum of the Seas

QNA2.jpg

Quantum of the Seas during her Inaugural visit to Cape Liberty

QNYC3.jpg

Radio

I know that you know your ships, and sailings, but help me here. I know that yesterday, after the last pre inaugural, they had a 3 night inaugural (paid) cruise.

I have not looked at the schedule......so is there another 2 night trip before the ship starts sailing on it's regular schedule.

If so, great..........you have so much to pack in.......in two nights. We did it, but could only get in the essentials. There are so many restaurants, bars, nooks and cranny's.........I wish you the best to try to enjoy the ship in two nights!

If anyone can do it........you can!!:)

Rick

Radio

I know that you know your ships, and sailings, but help me here. I know that yesterday, after the last pre inaugural, they had a 3 night inaugural (paid) cruise.

I have not looked at the schedule......so is there another 2 night trip before the ship starts sailing on it's regular schedule.

If so, great..........you have so much to pack in.......in two nights. We did it, but could only get in the essentials. There are so many restaurants, bars, nooks and cranny's.........I wish you the best to try to enjoy the ship in two nights!

Rick

Hi, Rick!

Quantum had two pre-inaugural cruises: November 14-16 and 16-18. I am sure that you were invited to one. ;)

Now there are two revenue "cruises to nowhere": November 18-21 & 21-23.

Inaugural/maiden voyage is November 23-December 1.

Radio

>SNIP<

Rick

Yes, Thanks Rick. . . Again, this will be my "preview" Cruise for my 10 Night sailing in January . . .

I will really be able to stretch out and relax then!

Thanks for the nice comments. . .

Radio

;);)

Can't wait to see all your pics and comments. One disappointment is that there is now a service charge for room service. That is a take away that many don't appreciate - just keep your ears open to see if there is any chance this could change. If one pays the bucks to book a suite, I would hope all room service would be included at least in suite level cabins. I know there are many wows on this ship - just wish that room service charges would not have been initiated. Looking forward to your opinions on dynamic dining. I was a traditional dining lover - but am anxious to see how this works out. I think once on ship I will love it - it has just been a real pain making reservations with website problems and LONG phone calls with customer service. I am a loyal Royal and will be Diamond Plus after sailing Quantum. This smart ship also needs a smart web site. I think once on board all the frustrations will be forgotten but look forward to a realistic review and opinion from you who is actually ON the ship. Wishing you safe travels and smooth sailing!!! ENJOY!!!

Radio, let us know about arrival at the new cruise terminal. I'm curious how much smoother/quicker arrival and departures will be. We're all so used to the backup at Cape Liberty that anything would be an improvement.:rolleyes:

Wow. . . My alarm was set at "Radio Dark 30"

Tomorrow is Embarkation day.

I better start packing. Let me find the tags. :eek:

OK, great. . .. here they are.

Radio

;);)

Tag2.jpg

Edited by Radio

Yes, Thanks Rick. . . Again, this will be my "preview" Cruise for my 10 Night sailing in January . . .

I will really be able to stretch out and relax then!

Thanks for the nice comments. . .

Radio

;);)

Always appreciate your comments and enjoy your "go pro" shots!....K.O.:)

Always appreciate your comments and enjoy your "go pro" shots!....K.O.:)

I will be testing out my NEW GoPro Hero4 for this cruise. . . .

Thanks for the nice comments :)

Radio

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

GPH4.jpg

©GoPro, Inc.

Having just recently returned from the Maiden of Quantum (Nov 2-10), I am confident that RCI will have ironed out a few (!!!) issues that we had along the way and all construction has now been completed so that the entire ship and activities can now be truly appreciated. The trip made a bit of a Ripcord monster out of me...I am now a diehard member of our local club!

Does anyone know the easiest and best fared way to get from LGA to the port or to EWR. Just found out late last night that the transfers that we were told were at LGA are now at EWR. Please ADVISE-we leave early tomorrow for the Quantum

Thank you

M

Does anyone know the easiest and best fared way to get from LGA to the port or to EWR. Just found out late last night that the transfers that we were told were at LGA are now at EWR. Please ADVISE-we leave early tomorrow for the Quantum

Thank you

M

My guess would be some sort of car service. I would post your question on the East Coast departures board for specific names:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=415

Edited by clarea

Good morning!!!

This is going to be AWESOME!!! WOOT WOOT!!!

Thanks so much for all your live reviews, Radio - I always look forward to your "broadcasts" ;) - this one especially, since I will be boarding Quantum in April with the most amazing QUAYZIES!

Barb

Edited by Just The 3 Of Us