Automatic service charge /gratuities

glittergal1

Hello , I know this can be a subject that gets many people heated in a debate and I dont want that I am just asking this question as I have not sailed with P&O I have done some research and P&O claim that they DO pay their staff a competitive wage above the industry average and that the service charge is for service above and beyond so

I have not sailed with P&O before their cruises are usually above what I can budget for a cruise however I have now found a cruise with them which would come much closer to my budget however the now added £7 per day once again pushes the cost up, i understand it is a discretionary charge which can be removed or adjusted onboard is this a fairly simple procedure or do you need to jump through hoops?

If you just want to know what the procedure is for removing gratuities, plus how easy it is then it is best to ask the question without trying to explain why you want to do this. Otherwise, people will respond by focusing on your motives.

There is another recent thread which runs for pages which will provide the answer to your question plus more. I have never done this so can't advise based on own experience.

Hello,

Yes it is a simple procedure. All you have to do is go to reception and say you would like to amend your auto gratuities and ask for the amendment form. You can take the form back to your cabin and then drop it back to reception when you are ready.

The form will ask you what you would like to do -

You can remove gratuities completely

Remove them from your account as you wish to tip the crew in person with cash

Or, reduce the daily amount

Just so you are aware, the auto gratuities are applied to your account on the first day. Once you complete the form they will be amended accordingly and your account shall be adjusted.

I hope you book your cruise,

Best Wishes

It is reporting that the company is strong arming guest to pay.... It is your choice as a discretionary charge, you need to do whatever you believe is right and no reason to explain yourself to anyone.

Here is the other thread with a few hundred posts on this subject

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2615985

hello thank you for those who replied, It looks like we will not be booking with P&O now as I called the website where I saw the cruise advertised and they had made a mistake with the pricing it was far more than they advertised I thought it was too good to be true :(,

hello thank you for those who replied, It looks like we will not be booking with P&O now as I called the website where I saw the cruise advertised and they had made a mistake with the pricing it was far more than they advertised I thought it was too good to be true :(,

I would be interested to know where you can book a cruise much cheaper than the normal P&O level, I have not come across any myself, Marella, CMV and Fred Olsen are often more expensive.

I would be interested to know where you can book a cruise much cheaper than the normal P&O level, I have not come across any myself, Marella, CMV and Fred Olsen are often more expensive.

As you know prices fluctuate for all the lines so if you book in the sweet spot you can get lower than average P&O usually by booking very early or very late.

Marella always looks more but given that it includes tips and drinks it’s a better overall package. For example P&O & Marella are both doing ex UK Fiords in June. P&O saver just under £600 for an inside £730 for the cabin type, same week and location on Marella.

Add to the P&O price the £70 tips and whatever your normal bar bill would be, mine would certainly be more than the £60 difference in price!

RCI and Celebrity do really good late prices on European cruises (but not ex UK) for cruise only, if you can find your own flights then they are great value.