Around the Horn South American cruise on NCL Sun - pictorial review

tammyjw305

tammyjw305- we have this itinerary planned for 2019. When you got your disembarkation document, you say they allowed disembarkation that first morning. Did they say in the instructions how early you could leave the final morning. Could you come and go all night if you wished since you were in port overnight. We want to take a very early flight the 2nd morning to the falls...want to disembark at 5 or 6 am....is that possible based on the instructions?

You are able to come and go overnight; however, I do not know if you can officially disembark that early because they have to go though disembarkation process and security. I believe they had the normal walk off with your luggage starting around 7am. You should call the cruise line to confirm if 5am or 6am would work.

• 3 weeks later...
We are leaving from San Antonio cruise port. Is the Hotel Ibis near San Antonio cruise port? How did you like this hotel?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I do not recall the San Antonio cruise port; it may have been named that and I never knew the name. We took Turbus from Santiago to Valpariso and then a taxi to the hotel. After that, we used the subway to get to Vino del Mar, back to the hotel, and then to cruise terminal. Our hotel was very close to the Puerto subway station. For the cruise terminal, get off at the Baron station: at https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Puerto/Baron,+Valpara%C3%ADso,+Chile/@-33.0427603,-71.6161563,16z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x9689e12c61cc5761:0x76d1aa466393eebc!2m2!1d-71.6270877!2d-33.0384613!1m5!1m1!1s0x9689e0cf9a42dd93:0xa9e2ebc95af48c4b!2m2!1d-71.6056732!2d-33.0424096!3e3

On the hotel, overall, it was basic, but that was fine for us. Check in was slow, but not as slow as I had read online beforehand. We also pre-checked in online before leaving the US; you can check in up to 3 days before. We had trouble getting into our room (pull up on the handle) after an overnight flight and day of touring, so that was annoying since we were exhausted. The location was good with the subway station and a mall with grocery store to get some water and snacks. We had a partial water view, which was nice.

Tammy

• 2 weeks later...
We had plans to go to the national park -- Tierra del Fuego -- to visit the end of the world post office and do some hiking. We walked to the rental car place. Before arriving, we found an ATM; we needed Argentina pesos. My moneys needs document or my interpretation of it at the time failed me. I had my husband get 300 pesos. The national park cost 350 per person -- eek. It was more than any of us expected, but I should have gotten the cash needs correct. The couple we were with had preordered cash and loaned us money to get in. Their cash need planning included Iguazu Falls post-cruise, so we wanted to get back to the ATM after to pay them back in Pesos. We found the car rental place; there was another customer or two ahead of us. They seemed slow at renting cars out here, but it worked out.

Some pictures walking from the port to the car rental office

35383240641_a0c98603e7_b.jpg

34704470093_f9668df893_b.jpg

Entering the park; after this, we went through the pay booth. They gave us maps, which were a little hard to interpret. We stopped at the visitor center after, but there was not much there. So, we went on. We drove to the other end of the park.

35383240391_0f60aba580_b.jpg

35127794010_14d5dc091e_b.jpg

This was at the end of the road where we parked and began hiking. The parking was very full, and there were frequent large coach bus traffic jams.

I loved this rock!

34704469383_0b811b075d_b.jpg

35383240051_df3e02e8c8_b.jpg

I'm off to finish getting ready for our 4th of the July road trip tomorrow and get some sleep. I'll be back after the 4th!

For those in the US, have a great holiday weekend!

Tammyjw Thanks for the photos and information. Do you know what site the couple used to rent the car near the port in Ushuaia?

Tammyjw Thanks for the photos and information. Do you know what site the couple used to rent the car near the port in Ushuaia?

As the "other couple", I'll save Tammy the effort of replying. Copying this from my own post on this board:

We rented a car from Alamo and drove to Tierra del Fuego. We picked Alamo because it was the first car rental agency I could find online that was near the port and didn't require pre-payment (important because this is one of those ports that is sometimes skipped due to weather). Alamo is about 6 blocks from the pier. There are several agencies in town that might be a little cheaper. We passed one on the way to Alamo called Localiza. Our car rental was about $130, including refueling.

HTH.

-Carl

• 4 weeks later...
As the "other couple", I'll save Tammy the effort of replying. Copying this from my own post on this board:

We rented a car from Alamo and drove to Tierra del Fuego. We picked Alamo because it was the first car rental agency I could find online that was near the port and didn't require pre-payment (important because this is one of those ports that is sometimes skipped due to weather). Alamo is about 6 blocks from the pier. There are several agencies in town that might be a little cheaper. We passed one on the way to Alamo called Localiza. Our car rental was about $130, including refueling.

HTH.

-Carl

(y) Thanks, Carl!