Picture-A-Week 2017 - Week 40

pierces

Nice eagles - lucky you! The eagles are very elusive down here farther south, so I rarely get to see and photograph one. I do see them up at Disney, but rarely am walking around the parks with a 600mm lens, so I don't get very many photos of them.

Our local birding was busy again this weekend, just like last - lots and lots of migrating birds coming through - plus some raptor action:

The lovely little northern parula:

original.jpg

Red-shouldered hawk, screaming past:

original.jpg

Osprey descending - wouldn't want to be a fish and see those talons coming down for you:

original.jpg

A white-eyed vireo who lost his tail feathers, but was still doing OK:

original.jpg

A very rare bird for me - I've only photographed them twice before in 9 years - a worm-eating warbler:

original.jpg

Sunshine and blue skies returned to Houston after Harvey moved on but over a month later, the effects linger on. While visiting my son, I saw some of the impact that the disastrous flooding from the 50 inches of rain that Hurricane Harvey dropped on Houston. Well over 100,000 homeowners had to replace drywall, furniture and submerged cars and that made for big news stories. Under-reported infrastructure damage like losing a go-to grocery store and having to find a new one and learn the layout or finding a favorite restaurant was too damaged to reopen affected almost everyone. You can insure for the big things, but not the little ones that sneak up on you.

Postdiluvian

p2568818719-5.jpg

Dave