Packing for late Dec. cruise out of NJ to Bahamas

KKB

So we have always sailed out of FL (OK, LA once--still warm).

But this is a whole new ball game.

2 sea days to get to FL...Orlando....Nassau...private island....then 2 sea days back.

I am stumped what to where on those sea days!

For FL based cruises I stick with shorts & tops; capris or dress for dinner. I find jeans to just be TOO heavy in the Caribbean!

I realize we will be inside most of the time unless we are in one of the 2 inside pools.

Will capris be too cool to walk around the ship? I am prone to hot flashes...

I always cruise out of Manhattan....yes it is cooler in Dec on those sea days, but everyone is wearing capris, in anticipation of the warmer weather to come. Just bring a sweater if you tend to get cold. Otherwise, dress like you are going to the warmer weather, and you will fit right in.

I cruise from NJ in Jan and Feb. I always take a winter coat or jacket, hat, gloves, wear a winter outfit like cords, turtleneck, and sweater, and wear snow boots. If I drive, the boots stay in the car and the winter outfit goes in the cabin closet. Otherwise I have casual wear like you described. I also bring a long sleeved navy or black top that can have a short sleeved top put over it. It's all about being able to layer if the ship is chilly and being prepared to arrive back in a blizzard.

It will be pretty cold for at least the first and last sea day. By the second day, you'll be passing the Carolinas and it will start warming up. The first and last days, you'll want to dress for whatever the NY/NJ land temps are - likely long pants and a coat or sweater. In my experience, I've worn jeans and a sweatshirt the first day, and was able to transition to capris for the second :-D

Dress like a sailor.

Shorts with jacket and hat.

Before I got into sailing, the outfit never made any sense to me. Once I was into sailing, it works. At times, you will going with the wind, so the felt wind is low, and you get hot. Other times you are headed somewhat into the wind, so get a lot of felt wind.

If you have a jacket, it keeps the core warm, and the hat keeps the head warm. Legs feel chilly, but not cold.

Too and from the ship, I would wear long pants.