NOT QUITE LIVE! — MS Zuiderdam — NYC to QC

*Miss G*

Having enjoyed and appreciated the trip reports posted by fellow CC’ers, I thought I’d give it a try. Sometimes it’s nice to enjoy a bit of drivel with your morning coffee. Hopefully we will find this mutually fun and informative!

IT BEGINS

Earlier this year my husband and I were thrilled to book a Trans-Pacific on the Westerdam: Vancouver to Tokyo. Sadly, due to arising work conflicts, it was not to be. :(

But wait! We haven’t done the Colors of Canada and New England yet! And no work conflicts!! The Zuiderdam is newly out of dry dock and calling our names.

IMG_0153.thumb.JPG.7b7cbe40025136675b49a786cb07c80e.JPG

Our first sailing on this Vista-Class ship was 10 years ago, so we shall call this our 10th anniversary cruise. I believe the traditional gift for the 10th anniversary is tin or aluminum. I’m guessing a man invented that list. The only thing that comes to mind is a pot or some tin foil. I will forgo the gift.

Our route has us departing from Manhattan Cruise Terminal, sailing down the Hudson, past the Statue of Liberty, and underneath the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge. Since departure is at 8:00 pm we should have some spectacular nighttime views of The City That Never Sleeps.

Knowing how crazy the weather can get in the Mid-Atlantic Region, we booked our flights and hotel for arrival the day prior to departure. We chose our hotel carefully. We wanted to be relatively close to the Cruise Port but somewhat away from the hustle and bustle of the city. We found a great spot between Times Square and Central Park. Time to relax.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not sure if you are on the same sailing, but they have just announced a change of departure port for this cruise leaving on the 13th September to the Brooklyn Cruise terminal. Other side of New York to the Manhattan terminal so nowhere near the pre-cruise hotel we have booked. ☹️

Hope this doesn’t also affect you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not sure if you are on the same sailing, but they have just announced a change of departure port for this cruise leaving on the 13th September to the Brooklyn Cruise terminal. Other side of New York to the Manhattan terminal so nowhere near the pre-cruise hotel we have booked. ☹️

I would be very unhappy to learn at the last minute about cruise terminal change in New York.

THE ROOM

We initially booked a VE Verandah. Then we changed our minds and rebooked in a Signature Suite on the hump — one of the Z-shaped balconies. Yay! Excited to experience a forward facing view!

Satisfied with our choice I save an image of our boarding passes and luggage tags.

9 Days Prior to Sailing: Curses! I received an upsell email from HAL! Two glasses of wine while making dinner told me that was a really good idea. I called the number. Still hanging onto the desire to see where I am going, I ask if a Neptune Suite on the hump is available. Yes it is! SOLD!!

This cruise just keeps on getting better.

I delete the old boarding passes and luggage tags and save the new ones.

Edited by *Miss G*

Anxious to read your live report since we are booked on the same cruise nex5 September, also on Zuiderdam. That ship brought me good luck since Imwon a free cruise the first time I sailed on her. It was a special birthday and I played bingo, which I never do. Have fun.

Anxious to read your live report since we are booked on the same cruise nex5 September, also on Zuiderdam. That ship brought me good luck since Imwon a free cruise the first time I sailed on her. It was a special birthday and I played bingo, which I never do. Have fun.

That is awesome! My Dad won $6000 at the Zuiderdam bingo, some years ago, and he never plays either! Maybe I should play. :confused:

Alas, that is my next post. :(

7 Days Prior to Sailing: An Important Message From Holland America arrives! Due to repair work at our original berth, the Zuiderdam will be docked at Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. Noooooooo! :loudcry:

All my carefully laid plans lie in pieces around me. A few months ago we could have booked a room at the Brooklyn Bridge Marriott at a reasonable price. Today, for only $4,900 per night, I can have the Presidential Suite. Because that’s all that’s left.

IMG_0152.JPG.01ed93f28d8398e5fef04197c43bd7f6.JPG

Now I’m scrambling. Six days away and our choices are severely limited. We will remain in Central Park. I have bigger fish to fry.

I delete the old boarding passes and save the new ones.

The reason for the repair is the Carnival Horizon crashed into pier 90 while attempting to dock last week.

You made the right decision regarding staying in Manhattan. You can enjoy Central Park and your cab ride will be just a 1/2 hour longer to the pier. BTW. The Brooklyn terminal is much better than Pier 90 and is directly across from the Statue of Liberty.

Have a great cruise.

I'm along for the ride as well. We sail the Zuiderdam in Dec. to the canal. Can't wait to hear your reviews.

Yay! Welcome Larry!

The reason for the repair is the Carnival Horizon crashed into pier 90 while attempting to dock last week.

You made the right decision regarding staying in Manhattan. You can enjoy Central Park and your cab ride will be just a 1/2 hour longer to the pier. BTW. The Brooklyn terminal is much better than Pier 90 and is directly across from the Statue of Liberty.

Have a great cruise.

Curse you Carnival Horizon!!! *shakes fist*

Thanks for the affirmation Mike. I really did want to be near the park. Although dinner at Queen was starting to loom on my horizon if we moved to Brooklyn Heights. (Not YOUR Horizon, Carnival. :mad: )

Miss G. Wow, all sorts of changes as things get down to the wire. Thankfully, more fun one’s than the one not so fun one. I guess the captain and crew took the “party” ship too literally and took out the pier. Oh well. You will have a great time. Thanks for taking us along.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

THE ROOM

We initially booked a VE Verandah. Then we changed our minds and rebooked in a Signature Suite on the hump — one of the Z-shaped balconies. Yay! Excited to experience a forward facing view!

Satisfied with our choice I save an image of our boarding passes and luggage tags.

9 Days Prior to Sailing: Curses! I received an upsell email from HAL! Two glasses of wine while making dinner told me that was a really good idea. I called the number. Still hanging onto the desire to see where I am going, I ask if a Neptune Suite on the hump is available. Yes it is! SOLD!!

This cruise just keeps on getting better.

I delete the old boarding passes and luggage tags and save the new ones.

Congratulations on the upsell!!

Enjoy the Neptune Suite and the perks.

I’m on board the Zuiderdam right now for the (amazing!) Viking Passage that left Copenhagen on August 24 and was scheduled to dock at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal on September 13. Imagine our surprise to return from a day ashore in Greenland (!) yesterday to find a letter in our cabin stating that the ship had been bumped to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal because of repair work going on at Pier 90 at the MCT. (No mention of why, perhaps because Carnival owns HAL. ;p)

The letter stated that those with HAL transfers would be picked up in Brooklyn, and the rest of us would have to “plan accordingly.” No offer of wi-fi or cell phone assistance or access. Fortunately, my wife and I have an internet package, but it was still a real scramble to do the research and then rearrange our car rental plans via the ship’s slow wi-fi. We had a convenient car rental near the MCT, but there are far fewer options in Brooklyn.

Got it worked out, and went back to enjoying our trip.

Hope those boarding on September 13 have a great cruise!