Carnival Legend Bloodbath Brawl - more bad media coverage for cruising

kazbar

I went back and had a look at that video clip and it looks like there were two guys grappling on the floor, one in a blue top with light trousers, and the other in red and yellow shorts with a grey (I think) tshirt. It looks like the crew were trying to separate the two. Not that I condone the kicking but who knows exactly what was happening there. I hope the ship's CCTV has some good images of what actually happened.

I went back and had a look at that video clip and it looks like there were two guys grappling on the floor, one in a blue top with light trousers, and the other in red and yellow shorts with a grey (I think) tshirt. It looks like the crew were trying to separate the two. Not that I condone the kicking but who knows exactly what was happening there. I hope the ship's CCTV has some good images of what actually happened.

Yeah, I said that earlier.

Assuming that's the case, in other jurisdictions they'd use a baton to separate them, especially if what he was doing was life threatening.

Aside from better optics, the intent and outcome are pretty much the same.

We have been cruising since 1971 on 11 different lines including Carnival several times, the only fight we have ever seen was between a husband and wife on the Emerald Princess have seen far more fights at sporting events. What happened on this cruise is not something that should deter anyone from cruising certainly not us!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have been cruising since 1971 on 11 different lines including Carnival several times, the only fight we have ever seen was between a husband and wife on the Emerald Princess have seen far more fights at sporting events. What happened on this cruise is not something that should deter anyone from cruising certainly not us!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have seen a few and quickly left the scene. I have woken and heard reports about other incidents that occurred when most were asleep. We have witnessed many a person or group being debarked mid cruise and it is not due to medical need, although that has happened as well. None of these have really affected my cruise in any way, apart from providing some discussion points over drinks the next day.

I have woken and heard reports about other incidents that occurred when most were asleep..

The one thing I have notice people comment on is that the bars on the ships open too late into the night. I have seen a lot of previous passengers suggest that there shouldn't be all night bars,they seem to think that serving alcohol all night contributes to all the problems on cruise ships. Though I reckon if you closed the bars people would just drink in their rooms.

Yeah, I said that earlier.

Assuming that's the case, in other jurisdictions they'd use a baton to separate them, especially if what he was doing was life threatening.

Aside from better optics, the intent and outcome are pretty much the same.

I must have missed your earlier comment, sorry.

I'm wondering if the guy in blue was a crew member, perhaps from the Cruise Director's team. He didn't look like the guy that is stirring up the media (I suspect he was the one in the red and yellow shorts). The guy in blue looked too tidy, if that makes sense.

The one thing I have notice people comment on is that the bars on the ships open too late into the night. I have seen a lot of previous passengers suggest that there shouldn't be all night bars,they seem to think that serving alcohol all night contributes to all the problems on cruise ships. Though I reckon if you closed the bars people would just drink in their rooms.

I'm not convinced on that argument. Some people are night owls and some aren't. Is it somehow better if someone starts drinking at midday and crashes before midnight, against someone who starts drinking at 4pm and crashes at 2am?

Unfortunately there are some very nasty people in this world who have no respect for others and who deliberately try to start fights because that how they get their kicks.

If someone stepped on my thong,I wouldn't be happy either.My knackers would be sore for a week.

Good one Brian.:'):loudcry::eek: Stick with ye olde Y fronts old son or Bombay bloomers, something like that.

I must have missed your earlier comment, sorry.

I'm wondering if the guy in blue was a crew member, perhaps from the Cruise Director's team. He didn't look like the guy that is stirring up the media (I suspect he was the one in the red and yellow shorts). The guy in blue looked too tidy, if that makes sense.

I thought that the bloke in the blue shirt was crew, perhaps the Gym Instructor? He was smarter than some of the other grubs.:halo:

I thought that the bloke in the blue shirt was crew, perhaps the Gym Instructor? He was smarter than some of the other grubs.:halo:

I had another look and this time I caught a glimpse of the front of that blokes blue shirt, and there were broad white stripes on it so probably not a crew member. At the beginning of the melee you can see him milling about with other passengers and possibly jumping the other guy in the red and yellow shorts who has now been identified as Michael Zakhour.

News.com.au was told members of the family accepted they had not taken the chance to “nip it in the bud early” and realised “they weren’t totally innocent”.

I was on this cruise and witnessed a yelling match between the older members of the family over the Behaviour of the young ones. The male was yelling at the female telling her her "not to interfere they're not her kids". He should have listened.

Edited by Sabrinalee

Not a lot of love for the cruise line in that article:o. Though the accusation that they kept the family on board because they were spending so much money probably has a kernel of truth to it. I've seen it myself in hospitality where badly behaved customers are given reprieve because they are spending big.

Although if you think about it the only place that probably could have dealt with that family would have been Noumea. Carnival may have been loath to kick them off the ship at the smaller ports as they may not have had the facilities to handle them. We don't know in which order the ship went to the ports.

It must be difficult for a cruise line when something like that happens. They can probably handle a couple of unruly passengers but a large family with some members totally out of control might be in the too hard basket. The impression I got from some of the reports was that the ship's security were trying to keep an eye on them but either didn't have the resources or otherwise failed to control them. Not an easy task, I imagine, especially where booze, and possibly drugs, were involved. And I wouldn't have liked to have been the bartender that tried to refuse to serve them. Those guys don't get paid enough to have to deal with people like that.

I guess we'll never find out the true story. The media reports are probably sensationalised to some degree and, as we've seen in the past for other reasons, tend to enjoy portraying cruise lines as the baddies.

Will it stop me from cruising? No way! I've been on nine cruises so far and not a whisper of trouble on any of them, and one of those was on Carnival. And, yes, I would cruise Carnival again although it isn't my favourite cruise line.

I am feeling the same way except I will be cruising with Princess continually for the time being. I also intend to keep Celebrity on my list and may even add Crystal or Regent to my list.

Given the mob mentality and excessive amounts of bogans on cruise ships these days I am more than likely to keep away from the cheaper cruises..

Drink does not just cause bad behaviour the people concerned have that type of behaviour in them long before drink takes a hand A normal drunk does not cause that much trouble; they would have caused trouble without drinki drugs or any other 'cause' Upbringing and respect (lack of) are the cause

Although if you think about it the only place that probably could have dealt with that family would have been Noumea. Carnival may have been loath to kick them off the ship at the smaller ports as they may not have had the facilities to handle them. We don't know in which order the ship went to the ports.

It must be difficult for a cruise line when something like that happens. They can probably handle a couple of unruly passengers but a large family with some members totally out of control might be in the too hard basket. The impression I got from some of the reports was that the ship's security were trying to keep an eye on them but either didn't have the resources or otherwise failed to control them. Not an easy task, I imagine, especially where booze, and possibly drugs, were involved. And I wouldn't have liked to have been the bartender that tried to refuse to serve them. Those guys don't get paid enough to have to deal with people like that.

I guess we'll never find out the true story. The media reports are probably sensationalised to some degree and, as we've seen in the past for other reasons, tend to enjoy portraying cruise lines as the baddies.

Will it stop me from cruising? No way! I've been on nine cruises so far and not a whisper of trouble on any of them, and one of those was on Carnival. And, yes, I would cruise Carnival again although it isn't my favourite cruise line.

The authorities in Noumea may not have wanted this particular mob unloaded there either, hence they sailed on into the darkness.:evilsmile: