China visa for 1 day port in Shanghai on Princess or Celebrity

coco2014

HI

With the new 72 no China visa policy, I want to know if any have has gone on the Princess or Celebrity Asia cruises that stop in Shanghai for 1 day without China Visa?

There will be 3 or us, and we rather pick an Asia cruise that doesn't require China Visa.

Thx

Helen

HI

With the new 72 no China visa policy, I want to know if any have has gone on the Princess or Celebrity Asia cruises that stop in Shanghai for 1 day without China Visa?

There will be 3 or us, and we rather pick an Asia cruise that doesn't require China Visa.

Thx

Helen

Hi Helen,

There is also a 144 hour Visa for the Shanghai region - and since you don't specify an itinerary or dates, a bit difficult to give an exact answer but generally no visa is required for China on either cruise line as long as the port stop (and your travel plans) meet the strict requirements of the Chinese visa requirements. Lots of cruisers in fact have different plans, hence the challenge in providing a more specific answer.

Also, the 24 hour and 72 hour visa provisions are slightly different but I think this link (with helpful illustrations to demonstrate the differences - scroll down in the link) might help you understand the visa free rules a bit better so you can choose the cruise best for your party. The cruise line or your TA should also be able to help you with questions too (there are also some older threads here as well - google search cruise critic boards china visas - and results will come up) so that you can go ahead and set your plans without delay :) !

https://www.travelchinaguide.com/embassy/visa/free-72hour/

http://www.sh-immigration.gov.cn/listPageEn.aspx?lx=40 UPDATED LINK ADDITION: SHANGHAI IMMIGRATION Please see item #3 which lists the USA among the numerous countries among those eligible for the 72 *or* 144 hour visa.

Edited by Host Bonjour

There is no such thing as a 72-hour visa free transit in Shanghai. It was replaced a year ago with a 144-hour one. If you look at the link in the post above, you may notice that Shanghai is not on the list.

Here is a copy of the official policy: http://www.sh-immigration.gov.cn/listPageEn.aspx?lx=40&id=4421

You need to check with your cruise company to make sure that they are ok with this and that the cruise meets the requirements.

There is no such thing as a 72-hour visa free transit in Shanghai. It was replaced a year ago with a 144-hour one. If you look at the link in the post above, you may notice that Shanghai is not on the list.

Here is a copy of the official policy: http://www.sh-immigration.gov.cn/listPageEn.aspx?lx=40&id=4421

You need to check with your cruise company to make sure that they are ok with this and that the cruise meets the requirements.

I am having trouble with your post....the link you supplied goes to the Shanghai General Website and the last topic on the left hand side is about the 72-hour visa free transit. And also you say the link in the post above yours does not list Shanghai, when in fact it most certainly does. Second paragraph, headed Cities enjoying the Policy...the 2nd city listed IS Shanghai.

I am having trouble with your post....the link you supplied goes to the Shanghai General Website and the last topic on the left hand side is about the 72-hour visa free transit....

Right. Pay attention to the dates. The old 72-hour exemption was replaced about a year ago. And this is not a general website but an official website of the immigration authorities in Shanghai. One should rely on this website rather than the website of Chinatravelguide who is a travel agent that has nothing official about it, is not up to date and even contradicts itself on the same page.

Right. Pay attention to the dates. The old 72-hour exemption was replaced about a year ago. And this is not a general website but an official website of the immigration authorities in Shanghai. One should rely on this website rather than the website of Chinatravelguide who is a travel agent that has nothing official about it, is not up to date and even contradicts itself on the same page.

There are BOTH 72 hour and 144 hour visas available, I have added an additional link to my post directly from the Shanghai P.R.C. Immigration website to further clarify. Indeed most cruise travelers do seem to obtain the 144 hour visa even though they are in port for a day. Thank you for your post, it helped me to make provide more clarity and avoid any confusion I might have caused. I've posted on this numerous times and have visited China - appreciate your willingness to be so very helpful. :)

There are BOTH 72 hour and 144 hour visas available, I have added an additional link to my post directly from the Shanghai P.R.C. Immigration website to further clarify. Indeed most cruise travelers do seem to obtain the 144 hour visa even though they are in port for a day. Thank you for your post, it helped me to make provide more clarity and avoid any confusion I might have caused. I've posted on this numerous times and have visited China - appreciate your willingness to be so very helpful. :)

Thank you Colleen and to add to the Visa confusion since October there is a 15 day visa waiver for cruise passengers arriving in Shanghai, that you need to be part of a tour too use.

We just got back from cruise that stopped in Sanya, China. You either need a visa or have to be part of the a ship excursion to get off the ship.........this, even though on the NCL web site, visa central and Sanya's own web site saying that no visa was needed for cruise ship day.

I am not sure about other ports, but I guess in China they do not mess around. And from my understanding, the cruise stop is excluded from "transit visa".

Not sure, just my experience a week ago.

We just got back from cruise that stopped in Sanya, China. You either need a visa or have to be part of the a ship excursion to get off the ship.........this, even though on the NCL web site, visa central and Sanya's own web site saying that no visa was needed for cruise ship day.

I am not sure about other ports, but I guess in China they do not mess around. And from my understanding, the cruise stop is excluded from "transit visa".

Indeed, based on my experience visiting China - this isn't the place to *ever* leave things to chance or last minute/risk going without. Even WITH the right papers, people get pulled aside, questioned (not typical, and this was in other places but also in immigration) delayed etc.

Best to have a visa, ensure full compliance and do NOT just rely on what the cruise line says. Ensure everything is in order before you sail. This way, so long as your documents are in order, any "inquiries" made (unlikely) whilst in port will be inconsequential.

China is a truly fascinating place to visit - so glad I got to see and experience it! :)

It's my understanding that the October change for cruise ship visa wavers did not strictly require you to be on a ship's shore excursion, but rather on a shore excursion run by a government approved / authorized tour agency.

Larry

• 2 weeks later...
It's my understanding that the October change for cruise ship visa wavers did not strictly require you to be on a ship's shore excursion, but rather on a shore excursion run by a government approved / authorized tour agency.

Larry

Does anyone know where to find a list of government approved tours for Shanghai that qualify for the visa exemption?

• 2 weeks later...

I too have a similar question so didn't want to post another thread. Looking at the dates of posts here they cover many years and it seems things change so I would like the most current information available. I will be traveling on the HAL ship Volendam which makes a 2 day stop in Shanghai in March. One visa company (CIBT) states no visa is required for my itinerary but the Chinese Embassy said I would need a visa ($200!) which I feel is exorbitant. There are also precautions from other sources that I could be denied boarding of the ship if documents aren't all in order. There is a great deal of conflicting information out there and HAL is not being helpful for this stop only. If anyone has visited Shanghai over 2 days while on a cruise - perhaps within the past year, I would really appreciate clarification.

I also imagine China could become very upset with the US in light of the behavior (re Taiwan) of our new President and change their requirements on short notice. I would hope I am just being overly concerned :)

I too have a similar question so didn't want to post another thread. Looking at the dates of posts here they cover many years and it seems things change so I would like the most current information available. I will be traveling on the HAL ship Volendam which makes a 2 day stop in Shanghai in March. One visa company (CIBT) states no visa is required for my itinerary but the Chinese Embassy said I would need a visa ($200!) which I feel is exorbitant. There are also precautions from other sources that I could be denied boarding of the ship if documents aren't all in order. There is a great deal of conflicting information out there and HAL is not being helpful for this stop only. If anyone has visited Shanghai over 2 days while on a cruise - perhaps within the past year, I would really appreciate clarification.

I also imagine China could become very upset with the US in light of the behavior (re Taiwan) of our new President and change their requirements on short notice. I would hope I am just being overly concerned :)

It is not possible for us to tell if you qualify or not. You need a qualifying transit. Read the official rules here: http://www.sh-immigration.gov.cn/listPageEn.aspx?lx=40&id=4421

Not all cruise companies are aware of the rules so you need to check with your cruise company to see if they will let you board, they are the ones making this decision.

I'm on Celebrity Millennium in March starting in Hong Kong and ending in Shanghai with 3 days in Beijing. This morning I went to the Chinese Consulate in San Francisco for the visa. It was denied because I didn't have my old passport with me. My current passport is around 7 months old and they wanted to see two years of information. So, another trip to the consulate is in my future. They get to make the rules and apply them as they see fit. They are under no obligation to give you a visa at all. US is the same way. Hopefully taking in the old passport also will make them happy. I expect so.

It isn't on the application, but we are applying for a ten year multiple entry visa. Same price as the thirty day visa. If this interests you, check the other box for length of visa, and type in Ten Years Multiple Entry in the comment space.

Does anyone know where to find a list of government approved tours for Shanghai that qualify for the visa exemption?

Every single tour operating in China actually ends up being run/authorized/sanctioned (what would the word be in a dictatorship?) by the Chinese government - there's no such thing as free enterprise in China - not as we know it though there are "joint ventures" with capitalist companies and there has been more progress lately.

I think maybe you are looking just for a tour 'operator' that has been recommended or has a good reputation for their service/itineraries perhaps? Rest assured everything has been approved by the government - staff, routes, tour stops, all of it. Don't feel bothered by it if you didn't know - that's just how it is - it's a different country - communism, remember? ;)

I used a tour company in Hong Kong to handle my Chinese "tour" but then eventually found out EVERYTHING was controlled by the government. I just thought it was more interesting rather than troubling - after all, this is why we travel!

Just got this in an email regarding my March sailing

UPDATE TO CHINESE VISA REQUIREMENT Please be advised that visa requirements for your voyage have been updated. A Chinese visa is not required for most guests if participating on a Princess- organized shore excursion in Shanghai. Guests who wish to sightsee on their own outside of a Princess shore excursion must obtain a single-entry Chinese visa prior to the voyage. Guests participating in independent shore excursions should contact their tour operator to see if a visa may be obtained on their behalf. Guests who wish to stay aboard in Shanghai will not require a visa.

• 3 weeks later...
Celebrity have confirmed to both U.K. and U.S. passengers that advance visas will not be required for Shanghai for customers on their tours. We sail 8th April.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am on the same cruise and have been informed I will require a visa: https://static.livechatinc.com/8202011/OLFDPAZ99S/a67e9b4565da609aae9b99f218558f27/Chinese%20visa%20requirements%20-%20Sept%20%202016.pdf

Host Bonjour - "Every single tour operating in China actually ends up being run/authorized/sanctioned (what would the word be in a dictatorship?) by the Chinese government - there's no such thing as free enterprise in China - not as we know it though there are "joint ventures" with capitalist companies and there has been more progress lately." - you have to be kidding, right? Have you actually been to China?

In any case, someone using the 144-hour exemption does not need to join a tour in any case.

On another note, about the 144-hour visa exemption, 39,000 visitors took advantage of it last year. Not so special anymore. But still a few cruise companies that have not figured it out or don't want to bother..

You are absolutely right about some of the cruise companies. I actually wondered if they had shares in the visa agency which they recommend! Actually we will be entering Shanghai via the new 15 day visa free scheme specifically for this port not the 144 hour transit rules which apply to the whole of China. Hence the need to take a registered tour.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You would not qualify for this 144 hr waiver unless you were leaving the ship in Shanghai and flying to a third country. If you are sailing in and out and using a ship tour Or staying on board) then the 15 day visa waiver is the one that will be applied. This one started in Oct.

"You would not qualify for this 144 hr waiver unless you were leaving the ship in Shanghai and flying to a third country. If you are sailing in and out and using a ship tour Or staying on board) then the 15 day visa waiver is the one that will be applied. This one started in Oct."

Where in the official rules do you see that you cannot arrive and leave by ships if you are going to a 3rd country?

http://www.sh-immigration.gov.cn/listPageEn.aspx?lx=40&id=4421

and

http://www.sh-immigration.gov.cn/listPageEn.aspx?lx=40&id=4421