Star: Tips, tricks, favorite areas and foods?

cruisingteachers4

We loved to hang out at the forward hot tub behind the bier garden. It was much quieter than the main pool deck and generally less crowded (plus you didn't feel like you were in a fish bowl).

Our favorite drink that fit under UBP was patron silver, cointreau, and unsweetened lime juice shaken and served up.

Trying to think of things unique to the star...a few more...

If you get to a show late go upstairs and the no show balcony reservations will be available.

Bring two EU and one UK plug converter to maximize your in cabin outlets.

The poolside bar was the only one that made a good mudslide.

The wine bar was never open for us.

We really enjoyed Trivia. Usually it was run by a staff member who I think also plays Mateo on Superstore. He was fantastic!

Skip Moderno. The meats were dry and limited and nothing like you would find on land. I think it might be because of the limitation of kitchen facilities (I doubt they have a Brazilian BBQ).

You are have to restart the NCL texting app to get it to work.

WiFi is slow but decent.

Our cruise was full but there were always pool chairs available so don't stress about that.

If you are embarking in Venice take a cab from your hotel and they can take you all the way to your ship.

Yes to O’Sheehans for breakfast. Pass on Le Bistro on the Star - terrible service on all 4 of our cruises. There is no wine bar on the Star just the wine cellar seating area of Le Bistro. Upgrade to a suite if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The layout on the Star is the poorest of all the NCL ships, except the crowded Epic. The buffet doesn't go all the way back to the aft of the ship, so there is no way to sit outside at the bar like on other NCL ships.

Still, we did two cruises B2B in 2014 that were fun.

Since you mentioned wine and bar... Maybe you can answer this for me. We have the UBP and wondering if all bars serve the same wines by glass or if there are other options?

I also just got my upgrade offer email and am thinking about bidding. I'm pretty happy with the balcony cabin we have but am tempted. The suites look awesome!

Yes to O’Sheehans for breakfast. Pass on Le Bistro on the Star - terrible service on all 4 of our cruises. There is no wine bar on the Star just the wine cellar seating area of Le Bistro. Upgrade to a suite if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Since you mentioned wine and bar... Maybe you can answer this for me. We have the UBP and wondering if all bars serve the same wines by glass or if there are other options?

I also just got my upgrade offer email and am thinking about bidding. I'm pretty happy with the balcony cabin we have but am tempted. The suites look awesome!

There actually is a wine bar between le bistro and gatzbys but we never saw it open.

Every bar serves wine by the glass but it is pretty low end stuff (not that it always means cheap wine but I think every option was a screw top) and there was no option to pay additional for a decent glass.

Sent from my XT1585 using Forums mobile app

Thanks, not too picky but like to try new wines!

There actually is a wine bar between le bistro and gatzbys but we never saw it open.

Every bar serves wine by the glass but it is pretty low end stuff (not that it always means cheap wine but I think every option was a screw top) and there was no option to pay additional for a decent glass.

Sent from my XT1585 using Forums mobile app

We loved to hang out at the forward hot tub behind the bier garden. It was much quieter than the main pool deck and generally less crowded (plus you didn't feel like you were in a fish bowl).

Our favorite drink that fit under UBP was patron silver, cointreau, and unsweetened lime juice shaken and served up.

Don't be telling folks about my Hot Tub. Try Le Bistro for specialty restaurant, O'Sheehans for lunch, and on warm weather days, grab a bite at the Top Siders or Market Cafe and eat poolside on 12. Stay away from art auctions. Try to meet Captain Mattias Anderssen. He is truly an intelligent gentleman with an excellent sense of humor. We think he is the best Captain on any NCL ship. The ship is also blessed with excellent bartenders and waiters. Treat them well and you will receive great service with a smile. Avoid the buffet on sail away day (O'Sheehans will be open). Ask your room steward for a robe and he or she will gladly oblige. Don't bring too many clothes. You don't need to book shore excursions at every port and you don't have to use only NCL for the ones you do book. The "Bier Garten" on 13 is great on nice days..."5 O'Clock Somewhere", not so much. Try the "Sugar Cane Mojito Bar" (just outside of "Moderno") for a drink as well. It doesn't open until 5 or 6 pm but they do make some killer Mojitos. Don't show up to the dock before about 11 unless you are in a suite or you just like waiting in a big room full of folks.

We were on the Star in 2016. I don't know what the makeup of your group is, but will make the following suggestions. Agree with five o'clock somewhere bar. Great for kids during the day. Not as crowded when it first opened. Did magic tricks for kids. The water slides were enjoyed by kids and adults. There is a small kids section in the back of the ship. The men's bathroom on the pool deck had urinals facing a large window overlooking the ocean. I've only seen it on Star and Dawn. Otherwise, spa and fitness center were nice. Shows were good. We liked Cagney's. The chairs by the pool were like tiered stadium seating so you could see down to the action. Crew was great. Enjoy.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Forums mobile app

We were on the Star in 2016. I don't know what the makeup of your group is, but will make the following suggestions. Agree with five o'clock somewhere bar. Great for kids during the day. Not as crowded when it first opened. Did magic tricks for kids. The water slides were enjoyed by kids and adults. There is a small kids section in the back of the ship. The men's bathroom on the pool deck had urinals facing a large window overlooking the ocean. I've only seen it on Star and Dawn. Otherwise, spa and fitness center were nice. Shows were good. We liked Cagney's. The chairs by the pool were like tiered stadium seating so you could see down to the action. Crew was great. Enjoy.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Forums mobile app

My first NCL cruise was on the Star, way back in 2003. I didn't go in the men's room, but was amazed by the large windows in the ladies restroom on pool deck. The Star has been refurbished since my three cruises on her, but back then, there was always wonderful pound cake in a little eating place port, aft on deck 6. Probably no longer there. [emoji22]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were on the Star in 2014, so things may have changed, but I wished I'd found out sooner than the last night that they have fresh fruit sangria at a station in the buffet. (Where they sell the fresh-squeezed orange juice at breakfast. Completely separate from the actual buffet line.)

We were on the Star in 2014, so things may have changed, but I wished I'd found out sooner than the last night that they have fresh fruit sangria at a station in the buffet. (Where they sell the fresh-squeezed orange juice at breakfast. Completely separate from the actual buffet line.)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Again, my favorite ship. More stuff. Try the french toast in the buffet. Check your seat carefully in the Stardust Theater. Some (too many) are damaged and slanted downward, making it difficult to sit without sliding off. Afternoon lectures in the Stardust are generally entertaining and informative. The entertainment at the piano bar in Gatsby's is usually quite good. The Karaoke in the 5 O'Clock Somewhere Bar...not so much. The entertainment in the Atrium is usually worth listening to. Moderno is greatly improved but the food does compare to Le Bistro (try the Duo De Canard or Filet De Boeuf Grille) or Cagney's (skip the Bison strip in favor of the New York strip). Get to know your wait staff. You will see the same individuals serving drinks or food at several venues during the cruise. If you learn their names and treat them with respect, you will get absolutely great service. One night at Gatsby's when they were quit busy we were having difficulty getting a table.