Tokyo - JR Yamanote Line or ???

starskyfan

I've read how difficult figuring out the public transportation in Tokyo can be. I'm trying to be prepared to avoid wasting time. I watched a video on the JR Yamanote line and it looks like I can get almost everywhere I want to go on it, with the exception of the Asukasa station (for the Skytree and Senso-ji temple). If I buy the day pass for the Yamonote line, what would I need to get from Ueno station to Asukasa and would that be a difficult transfer? Or is there another day pass that will give me everything I want? I've looked at all the transportation websites and I'm totally confused as to what I need to buy. I know taxi's are expensive but I'm wondering if a taxi for that portion might not be a bad idea. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks so much, Brenda

You can get a Suica card that you prepay for tickets on. That way you just scan it and get on the train you need.

If you plan your routes using Hyperdia.com it will tell you exactly which track to be at at what time to change trains.

If you are a first time traveller to Japan I strongly suggest you arrange to have a goodwill guide show you around. They are volunteers who all speak reasonable and better english, often uni students studying english, but we have also had retired businesspeople, part time workers, home makers. All have been exceptional. You pre book and communicate with your guide to decide what your plans are for the day.

The only cost to the traveller is fares, entry fees, and lunch if you are with them at meal time. Sometimes they have tourist guide ID which gives them free entry to sites. The advantage of having a local guide you around such a big city as Tokyo is huge, with the bonus of spending a day with a true local.

http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/arrange/travel/guide/list_volunteerGuides.php

I know your query is regarding getting around Tokyo by train, it can be done but after about 12 trips to Japan I have learnt to give myself a break and have a guide in the big cities. Have done it on my own several times but now prefer to enjoy what I am seeing rather than worrying about how I am getting to the next site on my list.

The public transit system is Japan is remarkably easy and incredibly inexpensive.

If you can speak / read Japanese, Chinese, Korean, or English, all train and subway stations in Tokyo feature announcements and signage in all four languages.

Instead of buying a JR day pass to get you around Tokyo on JR trains, a Suica or Pasmo Card will get you around Tokyo on JR trains, private trains, Tokyo metro subways, private subways, buses, and ferries. You can also use these cards to pay for taxis, vending machines, and purchases in convenience stores.

If you take a JR train to Ueno, it is very simple to transfer there to the Ginza subway line. Just follow the signs. Asakusa is the final stop on the Ginza line.

Thank you everyone! You've given me a lot to think about. I had read about the free tour guides and was considering that option as well. I'll check into it further, as well as the Suica cards. I did not know about the hyperdia.com site so that is helpful too. Happy to hear that getting to Asakusa is easy to get to from Ueno, in case we do use the JR Yamanote line.

Thanks again, Brenda