Mariner of the Seas..Condoition of the water

Someone told me they read a recent review of the water on this ship. They stated that it was brown in the showers, the sink, and the toilet. Can someone please comment on this?

Which Ship..???

They Forgot To Take Off Their Dark Brown Lens Sunglasses would be a good guess...

Mariner. It was in the thread title.

Yep, there it is...

Here is a bit of water information...

All drinking water is either distilled from seawater or loaded onboard while the ship is in port. Royal Caribbean adheres to Vessel Sanitation Program standards published by the U.S. Public Health Service (USPHS) and the Centers For Disease Control (CDC). The USPHS/CDC conducts inspections of the ship, both during its construction and throughout the year, to ensure compliance.

The purity and cleanliness of shipboard water systems is a very important part of the comfort and safety of guests and crew. These systems include potable drinking water and recreational water used for swimming pools, whirlpools and spa pools. Potable water is either produced on the ship through steam distillation orreverse osmosis (desalination) or taken onboard (bunkered) while the ship is in port. As a further precaution, all potable water, whether bunkered or produced, is chlorinated to eliminate any harmful bacteria that may be present. All bunkered water is also tested for quality and held in a tank until test results demonstrate it is safe for shipboard consumption. Only then is the water approved for release and use onboard.

According to CDC standards, RCI is required to test shipboard water four times per month. In keeping with the Above and Beyond Compliance policy, RCI exceed this standard by testing each ship’s water systems 60 times per month. The CDC also regulates recreational water by specifying chlorination levels and monitoring frequencies. RCI exceed these levels and have installed electronic chlorine and acidity (pH) level recording devices to help ensure levels remain consistent.

Yellow to brown discolored water can happen on any ship, and is usually a short lived phenomenon, and is usually not experienced everywhere onboard at the same time. The two chemicals added to the ship's water, chlorine and calcium carbonate, tend to form scale layers on the inside of the water pipes over time. As long as the pipes are full of water, and the scale is wet, it stays in place. When the pipes are drained for repairs, the scale dries out and falls off the pipe wall. Once the system is refilled, and the water is circulating again, this scale is eventually carried back to the water tanks, where it settles, and is cleaned out as part of the annual tank cleaning. Unfortunately, the water pipes that branch off the main lines and go to your cabin sink, shower, and toilet, don't see this circulation, and the scale can settle in these pipes until you open the tap to use them, and then this scale shows up as yellow to brown discolored water. Typically, this will disappear after the water runs for a minute or so. While not pleasant to look at, it is completely safe to use. The water at the dining venues, the buffet water dispensers, and the bar guns and ice makers all have carbon filters that will remove this scale, so the water does not look discolored in these areas.

Yellow to brown discolored water can happen on any ship, and is usually a short lived phenomenon, and is usually not experienced everywhere onboard at the same time. The two chemicals added to the ship's water, chlorine and calcium carbonate, tend to form scale layers on the inside of the water pipes over time. As long as the pipes are full of water, and the scale is wet, it stays in place. When the pipes are drained for repairs, the scale dries out and falls off the pipe wall. Once the system is refilled, and the water is circulating again, this scale is eventually carried back to the water tanks, where it settles, and is cleaned out as part of the annual tank cleaning. Unfortunately, the water pipes that branch off the main lines and go to your cabin sink, shower, and toilet, don't see this circulation, and the scale can settle in these pipes until you open the tap to use them, and then this scale shows up as yellow to brown discolored water. Typically, this will disappear after the water runs for a minute or so. While not pleasant to look at, it is completely safe to use. The water at the dining venues, the buffet water dispensers, and the bar guns and ice makers all have carbon filters that will remove this scale, so the water does not look discolored in these areas.

Great info. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm just imagining the OP planning their vacation and thinking "this ship supposedly has brown water, what sort of cruise line gives you brown water? Do I like brown water? Is brown water better? Is the brown water mafia involved? Am I going to become a drug mule in a foreign country because of this?"

I witnessed yellow water coming out of the pool fillers on Serenade last year. Very disconcerting, but staff said not to worry.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I witnessed yellow water coming out of the pool fillers on Serenade last year. Very disconcerting, but staff said not to worry.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Just being honest, this would bring me no comfort at all.

I'm just imagining the OP planning their vacation and thinking "this ship supposedly has brown water, what sort of cruise line gives you brown water? Do I like brown water? Is brown water better? Is the brown water mafia involved? Am I going to become a drug mule in a foreign country because of this?"

Do you think anyone has ever called Guest Services and demanded the brown water they read about on line?

Last year the water in a fountain in the Navigator gym came out milk white.....One guy spit it out and complained. It was still milky white for two more days after that.

Last year the water in a fountain in the Navigator gym came out milk white.....One guy spit it out and complained. It was still milky white for two more days after that.

That is normally an indication that the carbon filter on the drinking fountain has clogged and ruptured, and the chlorine scale is passing to the fountain. These filters are normally changed twice a year, but it sounds like this one was either missed, or clogged prematurely.