Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:44 PM.
SF Bay Area
2,545 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
I usually just "bookmark" my roll calls and they are there with merely a click. Once the cruise is over, simply delete the bookmark.

Originally posted by azbirdmom
Add me to the list of those not liking the new (not) improved format.

I think the signature thing could have been remedied by having users select if they want to see or hide signatures in others' posts.

What bugs me the most though is that it takes additional clicks or scrolling to get to other features that I like to use. For example, there used to be a link above the Princess forum for "Find your Princess Roll Call". In the dropdowns, there would only be the Princess ships listed and it would be quick to drill into the desired roll call. That link is missing so it seems like the only option is to use the generic "Find Your Roll Call" link which has a dropdown listing every ship for every cruise line. I have to go through multiple scrolls to get to the Star Princess.

The other thing that used to be easy was to get to User CP. There was a link always visible and it took one click to get there. It's hidden now and I found it, but again, it takes multiple clicks to get to something that was one and done before.

Technology is supposed to make our lives easier but this definitely was a step in the wrong direction. Please bring back the old display, or if you can't do that, please give us a choice of display to use!
WA.
2,243 Posts
Joined Apr 2006
Originally posted by TNTLAMB
I can think HTML5 which is NOT backwards compatible but it doesn't do any good for most users. HTML5 isn’t viable because that new element is encapsulating semantic data, and we have no idea what will happen to that data in a user agent that doesn’t support that particular HTML5 element.

Neither is HTML5 it a programming language. HTML5 itself, according to the standard, is a markup language (just like HTML4) but the way the term is being commonly used is as a conglomerate of web technologies, including javascript (a programming language and not used much at all except by amateurs Now favored is .net or C#), CSS (a styling mechanism), HTML (a markup language) and sometimes server side languages as well. I'm sure you are aware Markup languages are designed for the processing, definition and presentation of text which would have little or nothing to do with the bul of complaints including contrast and backgrounds)

Some forum software allow some css but this forum is either Ruby On Rails or Stack Exchange (as they come from the same group its hard to tell sometimes although Stack exchnage or Stack overflow uses 5 or so languages interchangably) At least everyone can see everything. which they could not with HTML5 as a markup. The fact that most all the images are png files is a dead giveaway GIFs are someaht backwards compatible.
What did he say? lol
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Birthdays are good for you. Statistics show the more that you have, the longer you live.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!

The low desert, AZ
3,673 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Originally posted by Kenswing
What did he say? lol
I think that it may mean that the developers compromised the forum program to make it as useful to all users as possible. And, maybe, at the expense of some users' experience.

Which brings me to a point about that. I saw the new CC format on my smart phone today and it does look better that the old format. That said, I will likely only rarely be reading CC on that device. My PC and my notebook computer are my main ways of reading it. On those the visual of the new format is less than optimal. Too much white, I don't care for it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Borrow money from pessimists -- they don't expect it back."
Steven Wright

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough."
Mario Andretti
27,077 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
Originally posted by ar1950
Which brings me to a point about that. I saw the new CC format on my smart phone today and it does look better that the old format. That said, I will likely only rarely be reading CC on that device. My PC and my notebook computer are my main ways of reading it. On those the visual of the new format is less than optimal. Too much white, I don't care for it.
I used the forum on my phone today while waiting for an appt and it was more desirable there but I rarely read the boards using my phone. I use my laptop and desktop most of the time.

Honestly - it is not difficult to add some more shading. Changing colors is not difficult.....! The excessive white is definitely a trend in complaints about the new format.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email Me

Next: Crystal Mozart Christmas Markets
1,180 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
What was wrong with the old format? I still don't know, don't need new and will just slack off reading as it's hard on the eyes.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
631 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Originally posted by WupperAV
What was wrong with the old format? I still don't know, don't need new and will just slack off reading as it's hard on the eyes.
The old format was written in such a way that it would be unreadable in the very near future. Sort of like the princess web site that is failing piece by piece.....
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Palmdale, Ca
36,584 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by Thrak
Just logged in on my desktop. Usually use my laptop but sometimes it's better for my back to sit elsewhere and I also have two large monitors on the desktop that really help with some of the things I do.

I got the new format on the desktop. I had already forgotten how much I despise that format. I think we have a 22 year old who wants to make things look better on his stupid iPhone or something who is making changes that affect everybody.

I have only been a member of Cruise Critic since September 15th, 2012. That isn't all that long but, in that period I have spent an awful lot of my time reading and posting on Cruise Critic. Heck, this will be post number 6,587 for me. (OK, likely I have spent too much time here...) I can't understand alienating the main customer base of the forums. I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate the new format.

It's not as if I'm a n00b to forums. I had somewhere around 6,000 posts on a gaming forum - mostly in the technical support area - back before I kicked the gaming habit. I have more than 3,200 posts on the geocaching forums even though I don't think I've posted there in a couple of years. Not one other forum has pi$$3d me off like this one with it's new design. I recently retired from a career as an Information Systems Analyst with the State of California. I was using forums before I had Internet access and I had to wangle Internet access because it wasn't available to the general public. I started using the Internet when it was all text only and one had to learn Unix in order to use the thing. In those days there was Usenet which was a precursor to the modern concept of online forums.

Whoever is in charge of this site needs to understand that people don't like what has been done. It isn't that I'm against change. I'm against this stupid change.

At least return the choice and stop forcing people to use the new junk. I am using the word junk in the nicest possible way as I can't really express my feelings without getting banned.

GIVE US BACK OUR CHOICE OF FORMAT!!!
As much as I want this to haappen or at least the option to switch to the old format, it ain't gonna happen.....

Bob
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Future: Sky Princess Med-T/A 11/19
Future: RCCL Symphony OTS E Caribbean 09/19
Future: Ruby Princess California Coastal 03/19
Future: Star Princess Hawaii 11/18
Pacific Princess Panama Canal 05/17
Caribbean Princess Iceland/Norway T/A 09/16 First Princess Elite Cruise
Caribbean Princess Iceland/Norway T/A 09/15
Golden Princess West Coast Getaway 04/15
Royal Princess Med-T/A 10/13 - Inaugural T/A Crossing
Sapphire Princess Hawaii 03/13
Ruby Princess Med-T/A 10/11
Golden Princess Hawaii 02/11
Ruby Princess Med-T/A 10/09
Diamond Princess AUS/NZ 01/09
Emerald Princess Med-T/A 10/08
Celebrity Constellation British Isles/Norway 07/06
Celebrity Summit Alaska 05/05
Celebrity Summit Panama Canal 10/02
RCCL Rhapsody OTS Alaska 09/01
RCCL Splendour OTS Baltic/Northern Europe 09/99
HAL Veendam E Caribbean 07/96
Carnival Holiday W Caribbean 07/93

154 Days Princess; 42 Days Celebrity; 19 Days RCCL; 7 Days Carnival

My Cruise Pictures on Flickr

Roll Call Thread
Roll Call Thread
Roll Call Thread
Roll Call Thread
6,471 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
Originally posted by TNTLAMB
I can think HTML5 which is NOT backwards compatible but it doesn't do any good for most users. HTML5 isn’t viable because that new element is encapsulating semantic data, and we have no idea what will happen to that data in a user agent that doesn’t support that particular HTML5 element.

Neither is HTML5 it a programming language. HTML5 itself, according to the standard, is a markup language (just like HTML4) but the way the term is being commonly used is as a conglomerate of web technologies, including javascript (a programming language and not used much at all except by amateurs Now favored is .net or C#), CSS (a styling mechanism), HTML (a markup language) and sometimes server side languages as well. I'm sure you are aware Markup languages are designed for the processing, definition and presentation of text which would have little or nothing to do with the bul of complaints including contrast and backgrounds)

Some forum software allow some css but this forum is either Ruby On Rails or Stack Exchange (as they come from the same group its hard to tell sometimes although Stack exchnage or Stack overflow uses 5 or so languages interchangably) At least everyone can see everything. which they could not with HTML5 as a markup. The fact that most all the images are png files is a dead giveaway GIFs are someaht backwards compatible.
What are you talking about?

I commented on your silly claim that modern pcs can't handle html.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App
631 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Originally posted by pablo222
What are you talking about?

I commented on your silly claim that modern pcs can't handle html.
Thats exactly the point the new programming languages (.net, C#, stack exhchange/overflow, Ruby on Rails etc) don't handle HTML as a a markup and HTML isn't backwards compatible especially on mobile platforms. Sort of like flash and android........
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Inland Empire, CA
10,858 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
I usually access CC through the Forums app on my iPhone and iPad. I had the "pleasure " to experience the new format for the first time and IMHO it is terrible . It is much hard harder to navigate and I need to scroll up and down much more to see information. I hope this will not affect the Forums app view in the future. I will stay with my iPad unless I need to post a photo.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming Cruise: 09/18 - Golden Princess - Hawaii, Tahiti & South Pacific Crossing
Past Cruises: 11/17 - Ruby Princess - 4 Day Coastal w/Catalina; 11/16 - Pacific Princess - Adriatic & Aegean Connoisseur; 12/15 - Pacific Princess - 50th Anniversary Mexican Riviera; 2/15 - Crown Princess - 4 Day Coastal w/Santa Barbara; 09/14 - Regal Princess - Grand Med (Left cruise in Mykonos after 6 days due to family medical issue at home); 03/14 - Grand Princess - 10 Day Mexico from SF; 01/14 - Sapphire Princess - 4 Day Coastal w/Catalina; 06/13 - Emerald Princess - Baltic; 01/13 - Island Princess - Panama Canal; 09/12 - Coral Princess - Pacific Coastal; 09/12 - Golden Princess - Inside Passage (B2B Glacier Bay & Tracy Arm); 09/11 - Sapphire Princess - California Coastal; 04/11 - Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera; 08/10 - Coral Princess - Voyage of the Glaciers; 03/10 - Star Princess - Valparaiso to Buenos Aires (The Shortened Post Earthquake Cruise); 02/10 - Star Princess - Buenos Aires to Valparaiso around Cape Horn (the Chilean Earthquake Cruise); 10/09 - Golden Princess - Hawaii; 11/07 - Golden Princess - Mexican Riviera; 02/07 - Grand Princess - Western Caribbean from Galveston; 04/06 - Coral Princess - Panama Canal RT from FLL; 10/04 - Golden Princess - Southern Caribbean Explorer from San Juan; 05/02 - Carnival Fantasy - Bahamas (3 Night)
Washington State
25,910 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
Originally posted by IECalCruiser
I usually access CC through the Forums app on my iPhone and iPad. I had the "pleasure " to experience the new format for the first time and IMHO it is terrible . It is much hard harder to navigate and I need to scroll up and down much more to see information. I hope this will not affect the Forums app view in the future. I will stay with my iPad unless I need to post a photo.

As others have said, it takes a bit of time. Most of us are using it quite easily now. Turning down the brightness on your devices does help most people.

Woobstr112G: Your last sentence really make me laugh. You're right, "it ain't gonna happen.......