Stuff to do in Sydney

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:41 AM.
#1
71 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
Hi All,
I am from Sydney and figured I might just put up some options for people to do when visiting our city
1. Visit Manly on the ferry
2. Walk up to botanic gardens
3. Take the ferry to Darling Harbour
4. walk across the harbour bridge
5. go up Centrepoint tower
6. Check our the older buildings
7. Visit Haigh's Chocolates (you can also do this in Melbourne and Adelaide) it is up George St - you wont regret it
8. Visit The Strand Arcade
9. Get lost in The Rocks
10. Want to see Aussie animals and have 4 hours- Wildlife World at Darling Harbour- excellent display and the biggest wombats I have ever seen.
----that is just 10 (there is heaps more)
Other Sydney-siders what would you add?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


URL="http://www.cruisecritic.com"][/url]

#2
Greenville, SC, USA
54,828 Posts
Joined Apr 2000
Thanks.
I have added your list to my Sydney file. We will be in your lovely city for a few days in September prior to our cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Paul
#6
Seattle, WA
171 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
Hyde Park is definitely worth a stroll. We enjoyed seeing the Anzac memorial and the fountain- Hyde Park Barracks, St Mary's Cathedral, the Art museum and Australia museum are nearby.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Norwegian Spirit - Alaska - June 2005
Pride of America - Hawaii - November 2005
Dawn Princess - Alaska - August 2006
Norwegian Star - Mexican Riviera - October 2006
Norwegian Dawn - Canada/New England- Oct 2007
Pride of America -Hawaii - December 2007
Norwegian Pearl - Alaska - August 2008
Norwegian Star - Mexican Riviera - October 2008
Norwegian Pearl - Pacific Coastal - September 2009
Sapphire Princess - Pacific Coastal - September 2009
Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera - March 2010
Royal Princess - Pacific coastal - September 2010
Diamond Princess - Australia/New Zealand - January 2011
Norwegian Star - Western Caribbean - December 2011
Coral Princess - Pacific Coastal - September 2012
Norwegian Dawn - Western Caribbean - December 2012
Diamond Princess - Australia / New Zealand - February 2013
Golden Princess -Inside Passage - September 2013
Norwegian Jewel - Pacific Coastal - September 2014
Norwegian Getaway - Eastern Caribbean -December 2014
Regal Princess - Baltics - May 2016
Diamond Princess - Australia / New Zealand - February 2018
#7
Orewa , Auckland , N.Z.
19,729 Posts
Joined Jun 2001
Sydneys best 2 attractions...
(in my mind anyway.)


The Manly Ferry
The Bondi Explorer Bus
.


Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
DAVID

P&O...12
Princess...11
HAL ...4
Norwegian Capricorn ... 3
RCCL ...2
Cunard ...2
Star Cruises ... 2
Regent Seven Seas ...2
NCL ...1


*Don't be afraid to go out on a limb ... Thats where the fruit is.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only "dumb" question is the one you don't ask
#8
Gold Coast, Australia
2,116 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
My favourite is the ferry to Watsons Bay and lunch at either the Pub or Doyle's Restaurant next door (both owned by the same company).
Which one depends on your budget - both are great.
#9
1,781 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Visit the Sydney Wildlife World and the Sydney Aquarium. It was close to the Four Points Sheraton where we stayed prior to our cruise. It was just across the street and only about a 15 minute walk to the Rocks where we went to the Taranga Zoo aboard the ferry.
Also a visit to the Blue Mountains would have been nice but we did not have time.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2017&text=&ship=Oriana[/IMG][/url]
#10
Mid-Atlantic, USA
564 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Thanks for the great list - I'm making notes for a trip in March 2013.

I'm trying to get a feel for the minimum amount of time we should spend in Sydney before the cruise. (also have previously asked this question about Auckland where we disembark)
I know the more the better of course but if we're limited because of work and might have only one or two extra days before the cruise do you think that's enough or a big mistake?

I haven't ruled out trying to fly to Ayers Rock for one night - as crazy as it seems to go that distance for one night! - so we might only have another day or two in Sydney.
#11
Brazil
375 Posts
Joined Oct 2009
Great, I have done all of this when I was there. Aquarium is nice as well.

Eating out is great with some many options. We stayed 5 days in Sydney. Then drove to Blue Mountains.
#12
Seattle
3,367 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
Blu Bar on 36 for incredible views of the Harbour Bridge and Opera House (while having a cocktail)
Harbour Bridge Pylon Lookout (for those who do not do the climb)
#13
Morristown,TN (love the Smoky Mountains!)
100 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
Wildlife World at Darling Harbour vs. Toranga Zoo?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
USS Constitution NY-Naples 1963
SS United States Le Havre-NY 1965
Royal Caribbean Nordic Empress Pt Canaveral Bahamas (3d) 1998
Carnival Ecstasy Western Caribbean (4d) 1999
Star Princess Alaska (7d)NB from Seattle 2008
Crown Princess Eastern Caribbean (7d) 2009
Carnival Imagination Bahamas (3d) 2010
Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas New Eng/Canada (9d) 2010
Crown Princess Western Caribbean (7d) 2010
Celebrity Constellation Southern Caribbean (14d) 2011
Diamond Princess Alaska SBWhittier-Vanc. (7d) 2011
Coral Princess WB Panama Canal, FLL-LA (14d) 2011HAL Volendam NZ to Vancouver (37d) Mar 2012
Celebrity Century San Diego-Hawaii, rt (15d) Nov 2012
Caribbean Princess,TA London-New York (29d) Aug 2013
Royal Caribbean Vision of the Seas Tampa-Western Caribbean (7d) Nov 2014
HAL Maasdam Ft. Lauderdale-Montreal (16d) May 2015
HAL Maasdam Auckland-San Diego (29d) Jan 2017
HAL Koningsdam Rome-Ft Lauderdale (24d) Oct 2018
#14
London
22,942 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
Great thread, thanks! This allows me to update the list, compiled from CC'ers posts, of suggested tips for Sydney, especially a newcomer. Here is the current edition.

First, things that you can do even if you only have one day in Sydney:-
  • The Rocks – historical area, plus some tourist shopping.
  • Circular Quay – for views.
  • Sydney Opera House – do a tour; the backstage tour is the most interesting, but is much less frequent and much more expensive than the standard tourist run. Go to a concert or a show if you can.
  • Botanic Gardens and the Domain (parks).
  • Hyde Park, including the ANZAC memorial, fountains, and nearby buildings such as St Mary’s Cathedral, the New South Wales Art Gallery and Hyde Park Barracks.
  • Darling Harbour – touristy things, including the casino at Star City if you're into that sort of thing.
  • Sydney Aquarium (at Darling Harbour).
  • Sydney Wildlife World (at Darling Harbour).
  • Maritime Museum (at Darling Harbour).
  • Powerhouse Museum (at Darling Harbour).
  • The Australian Museum (in the City).
  • Museum of Sydney (in the City).
  • Museum of Contemporary Art (Circular Quay – the café is said to be pretty good).
  • Bridgeclimb – 3½ hours, but worth it if the weather's good. Not energetic, nor difficult to anyone who has anything other than serious fears of heights. Best to book when you're there and you can gauge what the weather is likely to be. Most popular and expensive climbs are at twilight. Otherwise, a first timer should do a day climb to see where everything is, although night climbs are romantically spectacular. They have a new route which climbs the lower arch, but the standard route is still better for a newcomer.
  • Or just walk across the Harbour Bridge if you don't want to climb it. You can go up the south-east pylon (the one nearest the Opera House and Circular Quay) for some views that are better than those from the roadway.
  • Sydney Tower – the tall building thing, also a very ish revolving restaurant.
  • Paddy's Markets.
  • Chinatown.
  • The Sydney Fish Market (an early start is needed to get the most out of this).
  • Take a ferry to Manly.
  • Manly – long beach on the ocean side, cafes etc. If you can get there, big park at North Head with good harbour and sea views, but is a long walk from Manly itself.
  • Taronga Zoo – take the ferry from Circular Quay for this, too.
  • Cruise on the harbour - lots of ways of doing this, standard tourist ones from Circular Quay; also a jetboat from there; but my favourite is on a genuine ex-Americas Cup yacht - a cruise ship is nothing like this!
  • Watsons Bay – famous for Doyles, seafood restaurant, also good views. Also, go up to South Head (walking distance) from there, for views. Watsons Bay can be reached by ferry.
  • Queen Victoria Building – possibly the most elegant shopping mall in the world.
  • Bondi Beach – if you feel that you really have to do this. Quite close to Watsons Bay, can be done in a long walk (about 3½ miles), or by the Bondi Explorer Bus.
  • Walk from Bondi Beach to Coogee Beach along the cliff tops.
  • Also, between Watsons Bay and the City, there are Double Bay (elegant, expensive shops) and Rose Bay (pretty waterfront).
  • Balmoral Beach, to which you can get by bus (including, if you like, lunch or dinner at the Bathers Pavilion, or just fish and chips, or something else - there is a number of eateries here).
  • Other walks along the harbour foreshore, for example between Cremorne and Mosman.
  • Blu Bar at the top of the Shangri-La Hotel for cocktails with a view.
  • King's Cross at night (for the broad-minded).
  • Featherdale Wildlife Park.
Also, Sydney is one of the great eating cities of the world, so there's no shortage of good and/or exotic food.

If you are staying longer in Sydney, the following day trips out of Sydney are also possible:-
  • Blue Mountains/Katoomba
  • Northern beaches (up to Palm Beach)
  • Hunter Valley wineries
  • Canberra
You might also want to have a look at the following threads:-
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
-
Australian spelling lesson: There is no 'U' in .-

“Cruise” review – ss Rotterdam (V), June 2013.

Dual-purpose HOHO buses available in London: functioning simultaneously as tourist traps and roadblocks.

Fascinating Aida tell us of the perils of Cheap Flights.

Netiquette: Have you watched this: Posting and you ...? And do you know How to Behave on an Internet Forum?
Thinking of starting a new thread? Have you searched for your answer already? Can you post to an existing thread?
Countdown clocks: How to set one up? Click here.
UPDATED: Princess Cruises ship designators - the current list here.
_
#15
Sydney, Australia
14,768 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
Originally posted by watermom3
Wildlife World at Darling Harbour vs. Toranga Zoo?
More information would be required to answer that. Basically, Taronga is better as a zoo, whereas Wildlife world is better if you have limited time, and mostly want to see the main local animals. So it depends how much time you have and what your preferences are; both serve a purpose.
#17
507 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
Originally posted by Globaliser
Great thread, thanks! This allows me to update the list, compiled from CC'ers posts, of suggested tips for Sydney, especially a newcomer. Here is the current edition.


First, things that you can do even if you only have one day in Sydney:-
  • The Rocks – historical area, plus some tourist shopping.
  • Circular Quay – for views.
  • Sydney Opera House – do a tour; the backstage tour is the most interesting, but is much less frequent and much more expensive than the standard tourist run. Go to a concert or a show if you can.
  • Botanic Gardens and the Domain (parks).
  • Hyde Park, including the ANZAC memorial, fountains, and nearby buildings such as St Mary’s Cathedral, the New South Wales Art Gallery and Hyde Park Barracks.
  • Darling Harbour – touristy things, including the casino at Star City if you're into that sort of thing.
  • Sydney Aquarium (at Darling Harbour).
  • Sydney Wildlife World (at Darling Harbour).
  • Maritime Museum (at Darling Harbour).
  • Powerhouse Museum (at Darling Harbour).
  • The Australian Museum (in the City).
  • Museum of Sydney (in the City).
  • Museum of Contemporary Art (Circular Quay – the café is said to be pretty good).
  • Bridgeclimb – 3½ hours, but worth it if the weather's good. Not energetic, nor difficult to anyone who has anything other than serious fears of heights. Best to book when you're there and you can gauge what the weather is likely to be. Most popular and expensive climbs are at twilight. Otherwise, a first timer should do a day climb to see where everything is, although night climbs are romantically spectacular. They have a new route which climbs the lower arch, but the standard route is still better for a newcomer.
  • Or just walk across the Harbour Bridge if you don't want to climb it. You can go up the south-east pylon (the one nearest the Opera House and Circular Quay) for some views that are better than those from the roadway.
  • Sydney Tower – the tall building thing, also a very ish revolving restaurant.
  • Paddy's Markets.
  • Chinatown.
  • The Sydney Fish Market (an early start is needed to get the most out of this).
  • Take a ferry to Manly.
  • Manly – long beach on the ocean side, cafes etc. If you can get there, big park at North Head with good harbour and sea views, but is a long walk from Manly itself.
  • Taronga Zoo – take the ferry from Circular Quay for this, too.
  • Cruise on the harbour - lots of ways of doing this, standard tourist ones from Circular Quay; also a jetboat from there; but my favourite is on a genuine ex-Americas Cup yacht - a cruise ship is nothing like this!
  • Watsons Bay – famous for Doyles, seafood restaurant, also good views. Also, go up to South Head (walking distance) from there, for views. Watsons Bay can be reached by ferry.
  • Queen Victoria Building – possibly the most elegant shopping mall in the world.
  • Bondi Beach – if you feel that you really have to do this. Quite close to Watsons Bay, can be done in a long walk (about 3½ miles), or by the Bondi Explorer Bus.
  • Walk from Bondi Beach to Coogee Beach along the cliff tops.
  • Also, between Watsons Bay and the City, there are Double Bay (elegant, expensive shops) and Rose Bay (pretty waterfront).
  • Balmoral Beach, to which you can get by bus (including, if you like, lunch or dinner at the Bathers Pavilion, or just fish and chips, or something else - there is a number of eateries here).
  • Other walks along the harbour foreshore, for example between Cremorne and Mosman.
  • Blu Bar at the top of the Shangri-La Hotel for cocktails with a view.
  • King's Cross at night (for the broad-minded).
  • Featherdale Wildlife Park.
Also, Sydney is one of the great eating cities of the world, so there's no shortage of good and/or exotic food.


If you are staying longer in Sydney, the following day trips out of Sydney are also possible:-

  • Blue Mountains/Katoomba
  • Northern beaches (up to Palm Beach)
  • Hunter Valley wineries
  • Canberra
You might also want to have a look at the following threads:-
Fantastic Post!!!

Are you, or anyone else, familiar with the Hyde Park Inn in Sydney & if so your opinion?
#18
Sydney, Australia
122 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
Originally posted by The_Big_M
More information would be required to answer that. Basically, Taronga is better as a zoo, whereas Wildlife world is better if you have limited time, and mostly want to see the main local animals. So it depends how much time you have and what your preferences are; both serve a purpose.
"Passing through" this forum only but saw this thread - some of the ideas are great!

Re zoo vs Wildlife Park - we go to the zoo a few times a year, so I thought I'd put in my two cents worth. If you have the time (you need at least 5-6 hours to get there, walk around, and come back) and IF it is a nice day, the zoo is the way to go. On a nice clear day you will get spectacular views of the harbour and the Sydney skyline. The ferry ride across (from Circular Quay) is part of the fun. I agree that Wildlife World is better if you have limited time, or if it's a wet miserable day (like it has been for the last two weeks ).
#19
Elmhurst, IL, USA
1,697 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
Globaliser - thank you for your post. We are visiting Australia for the first time and the information you provided will be very helpful to us for our planning.

We appreciate you taking the time to put this summary together and for sharing. Kimberly
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Kimberly

Our favorite cruise experience:
Favorite Tour: Keishi Tours - Swimming with the sharks in Bora Bora:Before we got in...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPF_PeiHSP4
and then in the water with them http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enjr8Vwghm0
Favorite Ship: Allure of the Seas
Favorite Cabin: Sky Loft Suite on Ovation of the Seas (with Star Class Service - WOW!!!!)
#20
London
22,942 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
Originally posted by Gordo
Globaliser - thank you for your post. We are visiting Australia for the first time and the information you provided will be very helpful to us for our planning.
You're welcome, although I couldn't have done it on my own! This has been a joint effort by a lot of CC members who live in or know Sydney, and it's continued to evolve over the years.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
-
Australian spelling lesson: There is no 'U' in .-

“Cruise” review – ss Rotterdam (V), June 2013.

Dual-purpose HOHO buses available in London: functioning simultaneously as tourist traps and roadblocks.

Fascinating Aida tell us of the perils of Cheap Flights.

Netiquette: Have you watched this: Posting and you ...? And do you know How to Behave on an Internet Forum?
Thinking of starting a new thread? Have you searched for your answer already? Can you post to an existing thread?
Countdown clocks: How to set one up? Click here.
UPDATED: Princess Cruises ship designators - the current list here.
_