Skagway Excursion

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:22 PM.
Cary,NC
71 Posts
Joined Nov 2009
We're in the planning stages of our first Alaska cruise next year that will be stopping in Skagway. The "White Pass Scenic Railway - Luxury Class" excursion is "pricey" but looks like something we would enjoy. Would love to hear from anyone who may have done this excursion to see if they enjoyed it and if they felt like it was worth the $$$.
Would also welcome any suggestion for any other Skagway excursions from any of the "Alaska veterans" out there. Thanks ahead for your comment and suggestions.
Virgil
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Disney Magic - January 2003
Disney Wonder - January 2004
Emerald Princess - December 2009
Emerald Princess - January 2012
Island Princess - February 2013
Emerald Princess - January 2014
Caribbean Princess - January 2015
Golden Princess - May 2015
Emerald Princess - January 2016(Eastern)
Emerald Princess - January 2016(Western)
Emerald Princess - May 2017
New Hampshire
264 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
A good question. We are booked on the Yukon Expedition - white pass scenic railway excursion on our upcoming cruise and were wondering the same.
Last year we also cruised to Alaska and booked the Takshanuk Mountain 4x4 excursion while in Skagway and that was fantastic.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jacky

Crown Princess - September 2017, 15 night Transatlantic
Crown Princess - September 2016, 7 night Alaska
Brilliance OTS - October 2015, 7 night New England & Canada
Golden Princess - September 2015, 10 night Alaska
Caribbean Princess - April 2015, 7 night Western Caribbean
Oasis OTS - October 2014, 12 night Transatlantic
Ruby Princess - February 2014, 5 night Western & 4 night Eastern Caribbean B2B
Emerald Princess - April 2013, 10 night Eastern Caribbean
HAL Veendam - May 2012, 7 night Bermuda
Crown Princess - March 2011, 7 night Western Caribbean
Grace Bailey - October 2001, 6 night New England
Celebrity Mercury - November 1997, 7 night Western Caribbean
Chelsea MA
5,374 Posts
Joined Mar 2014
I don't know what the cost is today? We loved it!! I took some great pictures from the train to this day my friends tell me they love the pictures.
Tony
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
South Florida & Shenandoah Valley, VA
6,629 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
Are you willing to go on a non-cruise line excursion? If so, I highly recommend Chilkoot Charters and Tours (https://chilkootcharters.com/) for the White Pass railroad excursion. We went up on the train into the Yukon - they had the final train car reserved and only filled half of it so everyone had great views and access to the viewing platform at the rear of the train as we went up the mountain, were met by our van driver and continued on to Emerald Lake, stopped for lunch and to see sled dog puppies and a taxidermy museum (which was incredible), and then took our time, stopping to see flora and fauna on the ride back down. We will be taking our children and grandchildren to Alaska in 2018 and that is already on the itinerary for the adults.
Cardiff By The Sea, CA, USA
443 Posts
Joined Jul 2012
On all of our trips to Skagway we have always used Dyea Dave for our touring. They are great people, and Dave is a long time local, so we like to support the local companies. They get great reviews, and are a pleasure to deal with. The trip to Emerald Lake is a wonderful time! We have never taken the train, so I cannot comment on that. They do coordinate with folks that want to use the train part way though.

(www dot dyeadavetours dot com) Not sure why they allowed the link in the previous post, but not in my post? I thought that it was ok to share excursion companies... only links to Travel Agencies were not allowed.

Happy Cruising!

Mark
646 Posts
Joined May 2006
Originally posted by jackyfromwyk
Last year we also cruised to Alaska and booked the Takshanuk Mountain 4x4 excursion while in Skagway and that was fantastic.
I'm so happy to hear you liked this. We are going to do this next year. This will be our fifth cruise to Alaska, so if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Fair winds, smooth sailing and an umbrella drink - does life get any better?
Royal Caribbean Nordic Prince
Royal Caribbean Sun Viking
Royal Caribbean Song of America
Royal Caribbean Song of Norway
Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas
Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas
Princess Cruise Line Star Princess
Princess Cruise Line Dawn Princess
Princess Cruise Line Caribbean Princess
Celebrity Horizon
Celebrity Solstice
Disney Magic
NCL Pride of America
NCL Norwegian Pearl
NCL Norwegian Star
Inland Empire, CA
10,858 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by svend52
We're in the planning stages of our first Alaska cruise next year that will be stopping in Skagway. The "White Pass Scenic Railway - Luxury Class" excursion is "pricey" but looks like something we would enjoy. Would love to hear from anyone who may have done this excursion to see if they enjoyed it and if they felt like it was worth the $$$.
Would also welcome any suggestion for any other Skagway excursions from any of the "Alaska veterans" out there. Thanks ahead for your comment and suggestions.
Virgil
That option was not offered when we rode the railway in 2010. It sounds like you will have a private guide but we felt the standard commentary on the train to be very good. The Luxury Class is $299.00 versus $129.00 to ride without food and a private guide. Looking at the railway website the standard excursion is $119.00 and they have another excursion that includes a box lunch and a 45 minute stop in Bennett for $229.00. I don't see anything like the Princess Luxury Class on the website. I personally wouldn't spend $170 for a private car with guide and some "refreshments and savory appetizers."
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming Cruise: 09/18 - Golden Princess - Hawaii, Tahiti & South Pacific Crossing
Past Cruises: 11/17 - Ruby Princess - 4 Day Coastal w/Catalina; 11/16 - Pacific Princess - Adriatic & Aegean Connoisseur; 12/15 - Pacific Princess - 50th Anniversary Mexican Riviera; 2/15 - Crown Princess - 4 Day Coastal w/Santa Barbara; 09/14 - Regal Princess - Grand Med (Left cruise in Mykonos after 6 days due to family medical issue at home); 03/14 - Grand Princess - 10 Day Mexico from SF; 01/14 - Sapphire Princess - 4 Day Coastal w/Catalina; 06/13 - Emerald Princess - Baltic; 01/13 - Island Princess - Panama Canal; 09/12 - Coral Princess - Pacific Coastal; 09/12 - Golden Princess - Inside Passage (B2B Glacier Bay & Tracy Arm); 09/11 - Sapphire Princess - California Coastal; 04/11 - Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera; 08/10 - Coral Princess - Voyage of the Glaciers; 03/10 - Star Princess - Valparaiso to Buenos Aires (The Shortened Post Earthquake Cruise); 02/10 - Star Princess - Buenos Aires to Valparaiso around Cape Horn (the Chilean Earthquake Cruise); 10/09 - Golden Princess - Hawaii; 11/07 - Golden Princess - Mexican Riviera; 02/07 - Grand Princess - Western Caribbean from Galveston; 04/06 - Coral Princess - Panama Canal RT from FLL; 10/04 - Golden Princess - Southern Caribbean Explorer from San Juan; 05/02 - Carnival Fantasy - Bahamas (3 Night)
Boston
569 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
Booked with Chillkoot at the end of June and I would not hesitate to go with them again. Did the Lake Bennett tour all the way up to Carcross YT on the train and back on their 20 or so psgr van. If you want to see some pics from it I have them here

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...2379752&page=3
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jim
April 2017 RCL's Majesty Of The Seas- Port Canaveral (same cabin as our 2008 trip)
June 2016 NCL Pearl- Seattle- Spoiled with a 2br Family Suite <---Click For My Trip Report
Oct 2008 RCL's Majesty Of The Seas- Miami
Feb 2001 Carnival's Ecstasy- Miami

Sacramento
511 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
We took the train the first time to Skagway and really enjoyed it. We first visited the NPS visitor center to watch the film about the Klondikers and building the railroad. It made the train ride that much better I think.
We also purchased a set of authenticated book ends made from the original rails. Very cool.
21,701 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
Originally posted by jimsig
Booked with Chillkoot at the end of June and I would not hesitate to go with them again. Did the Lake Bennett tour all the way up to Carcross YT on the train and back on their 20 or so psgr van. If you want to see some pics from it I have them here

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...2379752&page=3
Great photos. Feel bad I missed that thread before.
Boston
569 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
Originally posted by easyboy
Great photos. Feel bad I missed that thread before.
Thanks Easyboy glad you liked them.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jim
April 2017 RCL's Majesty Of The Seas- Port Canaveral (same cabin as our 2008 trip)
June 2016 NCL Pearl- Seattle- Spoiled with a 2br Family Suite <---Click For My Trip Report
Oct 2008 RCL's Majesty Of The Seas- Miami
Feb 2001 Carnival's Ecstasy- Miami

Loveland, CO
2,343 Posts
Joined Sep 2003
To answer your specific question, we going on this trip in September. Will let you know about it when I get back around September 20th.

We are semi-active seniors, but know from experience we like most of our tours laid back. So the idea of having great seating arrangements, not alot of people, a tour guide for the whole ride, and snacks thrown in..... this was just our speed.

So if you are kinda the same mindset, will let you know if the extra monies were worth it. I considered the private tours with the bus one way and train back, etc., but just not in the mood for buses of any size this time around.

Pooh
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Ruby Princess - 29 Days South Pacific(New Zealand), 04/2020
Regal Princess - 24 Night Northern Europe Grand Adventure, 08/2019
Disney Fantasy - 7 Night Eastern Caribbean with Family!, 05/2019
Grand Princess - 10 Night Mexican Riviera, 03/2019 (WS!)
Royal Prncess - 19 Night Maple Explorer Tour 2B, 10/2018
Caribbean Princess- 7 Night Western Caribbean, 07/28/2018
Royal Princess - 10 Nt. Southern Caribbean Medley, 03/2018
Ruby Princess - Alaska Inside Passage, 09/2016
RCCL Allure of the Seas - W. Caribbean, 04/2016
Star Princess - Hawaiian Cruise, 04/2015

HAL Maasdam - Southern Caribbean, 03/11
Coral Princess(Grand Canal)- 02/10
HAL Eurodam - Eastern Caribbean - 11/08
Coral Princess- Panama- 10/07
Caribbean Princess - Eastern - 02/07
Brilliance of the Seas - Med.(Venice) - 09/06
Celebrity Summit - Ultimate Southern - 04/05
HAL Zuiderdam - Western Caribbean - 05/04
HAL Rotterdam - Panama Canal - 10/03
Sea Princess - Western Caribbean - 11/00
MS Niew Amsterdam - Alaska - 06/91
NCL Norway - Eastern Caribbean - 06/90
Carnival Carnivale - Bahamas - 10/89
Cary,NC
71 Posts
Joined Nov 2009
Thanks to all the replies. Gives us some food for thought and will be fun deciding what to do in Skagway.
Pooh, would love to get your feedback when you get back...have a great trip.
Virgil
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Disney Magic - January 2003
Disney Wonder - January 2004
Emerald Princess - December 2009
Emerald Princess - January 2012
Island Princess - February 2013
Emerald Princess - January 2014
Caribbean Princess - January 2015
Golden Princess - May 2015
Emerald Princess - January 2016(Eastern)
Emerald Princess - January 2016(Western)
Emerald Princess - May 2017
Ocala, Florida
862 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
Another vote for Chilkoot Charters. We used them and did the train up and the bus back. We had a stop at Caribou Crossing for a BBQ lunch, museum and sled dog camp. It was a great day! We are booking this again next May and taking our teenage granddaughters.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Melinda
Carnival Legend 05/23/2017 Alaska
Carnival Splendor 10/16/2016 Western Caribbean
Allure of the Sea 06/05/2016 Eastern Caribbean
Navigator of the Sea 03/13/2016 Western Caribbean
Allure of the Sea 06/04/2015 Western Mediterranean
Vision of the Sea 09/01/2014 Bermuda
Carnival Freedom 06/01/2014 Eastern Caribbean
Enchantment Of the Sea 09/16/2013 Bahamas
Navigator of the Sea 06/09/2013 Eastern Mediterranean
Golden Princess 09/15/2012 Alaska
Royal Caribbean 05/28/2012 Bahamas
NCL 2000 Bahamas
Big Red Boat 1992 Bahamas
Wanderlust
347 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
Originally posted by Love to Cook!
I'm so happy to hear you liked this. We are going to do this next year. This will be our fifth cruise to Alaska, so if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask
I do!!!!

I just booked a R/T Seattle for myself and my son (age 6) sailing next June. What are the best excursions that you recommend in Skagway? He loves trains, so I think a train ride is a must do, but which one, or how long, take motor coach back or not..these are all things that I have no clue about. Actually, I don't have much of a clue about Alaska period.lol

In Juneau we will be doing a helicopter to Mendenhall Glacier and dog sledding there. Will we have time for anything else while in port?
New Mexico
5,604 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by disneygirl10
I do!!!!

I just booked a R/T Seattle for myself and my son (age 6) sailing next June. What are the best excursions that you recommend in Skagway? He loves trains, so I think a train ride is a must do, but which one, or how long, take motor coach back or not..these are all things that I have no clue about. Actually, I don't have much of a clue about Alaska period.lol

In Juneau we will be doing a helicopter to Mendenhall Glacier and dog sledding there. Will we have time for anything else while in port?
My Skagway recommendation would be bus up that stops for lunch at Caribou Crossing and petting sled dogs followed by a train ride back. Your son will be thrilled.

You will have time for a trip up to Mt Roberts for an amazing view of Juneau and a chance to see Lady Baltimore (injured eagle) from just a few feet away:

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Photo Reviews -OR--Menus, On Locations, and More

Upcoming:

Konigsdam - Caribbean - December 2018 (11 days)
Westerdam - Alaska+Denali - June 2019 (11 days)
Nieuw Statendam - Caribbean - December 2019 (14 days)

Previous HAL Cruises - Days:
Alaska-124, Caribbean-85, Panama Canal-20, Mexico-7, Pacific Coastal-14
Zaandam - Alaska - May 2018 (14 days)
Westerdam - Pacific Coastal - April 2018 (4 days)
Oosterdam- Alaska - May 2008 (7 days)
Westerdam - Alaska - May 2009 (7 days)
Westerdam - Caribbean (Eastern & Southern) - Feb 2010 (14 days)
Nieuw Amsterdam - Caribbean (Western) - Nov 2010 (7 days)
Oosterdam - Mexican Riviera - April 2011 (7 days)
Zuiderdam - Alaska - Sep 2011 (B2B 14 days)
Noordam - Caribbean Seafarer - Mar 2012 (11 days)
Nieuw Amsterdam - Caribbean (Western) - Nov 2012 (7 days)
Westerdam - Caribbean (Southern) - Dec 2012 (7 days)
Zuiderdam - Alaska - May 2013 (B2B 14 days)
Zuiderdam - Panama Canal Sunfarer- Nov 2013 (10 days)
Westerdam - Alaska - Jul 2014 (B2B 14 days)
Nieuw Amsterdam - Dec 2014 Caribbean - (East-West 14 days)
Noordam - Pacific Coastal - May 2015 (5 days)
Noordam - Alaska - May 2015 (B2B 14 days)

Oosterdam - Southern Caribbean - Nov 2015
(11 days)
Nieuw Amsterdam - Pacific Coastal - Apr 2016 (5 days)
Nieuw Amsterdam - Alaska Inside Passage - April 2016 (B2B 14 days)
Zuiderdam - Panama Canal - Nov 2016 (10 days)
Noordam - Alaska - Jun 2017 (Northbound + Denali) (12 days)
Veendam - Caribbean Seafarer - Dec 2017 (14 days)
Wanderlust
347 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
Originally posted by Crew News
My Skagway recommendation would be bus up that stops for lunch at Caribou Crossing and petting sled dogs followed by a train ride back. Your son will be thrilled.

You will have time for a trip up to Mt Roberts for an amazing view of Juneau and a chance to see Lady Baltimore (injured eagle) from just a few feet away:

Thank you so much!! Gorgeous photos!