Ask a Cruise Question
Post your general cruise questions here.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:58 AM.
Northern California
2,369 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
If you don't need a laptop, don't bring it.

What are you looking to do?

I take my laptop because I need to do my timecard. Other than that, I don't use it for anything.

If I need directions, iPhone, looking up a place to eat, iPhone. If my work didn't need my secured method to do my time sheet, I would not bring it with me if I didn't have to.

Do you have to bring yours?
Inland Empire, CA
10,858 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Neither. We find the best is a tablet, in our case a 9.7" iPad.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming Cruise: 09/18 - Golden Princess - Hawaii, Tahiti & South Pacific Crossing
Past Cruises: 11/17 - Ruby Princess - 4 Day Coastal w/Catalina; 11/16 - Pacific Princess - Adriatic & Aegean Connoisseur; 12/15 - Pacific Princess - 50th Anniversary Mexican Riviera; 2/15 - Crown Princess - 4 Day Coastal w/Santa Barbara; 09/14 - Regal Princess - Grand Med (Left cruise in Mykonos after 6 days due to family medical issue at home); 03/14 - Grand Princess - 10 Day Mexico from SF; 01/14 - Sapphire Princess - 4 Day Coastal w/Catalina; 06/13 - Emerald Princess - Baltic; 01/13 - Island Princess - Panama Canal; 09/12 - Coral Princess - Pacific Coastal; 09/12 - Golden Princess - Inside Passage (B2B Glacier Bay & Tracy Arm); 09/11 - Sapphire Princess - California Coastal; 04/11 - Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera; 08/10 - Coral Princess - Voyage of the Glaciers; 03/10 - Star Princess - Valparaiso to Buenos Aires (The Shortened Post Earthquake Cruise); 02/10 - Star Princess - Buenos Aires to Valparaiso around Cape Horn (the Chilean Earthquake Cruise); 10/09 - Golden Princess - Hawaii; 11/07 - Golden Princess - Mexican Riviera; 02/07 - Grand Princess - Western Caribbean from Galveston; 04/06 - Coral Princess - Panama Canal RT from FLL; 10/04 - Golden Princess - Southern Caribbean Explorer from San Juan; 05/02 - Carnival Fantasy - Bahamas (3 Night)
Laredo, TX
421 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
I take a laptop to download the photos off my phone. That way I don't run out of space!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
I come from a land down under
26,566 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Really depends what you want to do.

Might also depend how long your cruise is.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

4,576 Posts
Joined Dec 2014
Depends on the laptop.... I no longer bring my 18, 17, or 15 inch machines on trips.... just got a 13" ultrabook. Fits great in my underseat bag. iPad is too limiting on the sites I go browsing to.
Aliso Viejo, CA
42,598 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
Smartphone. If I want to down load photos from it, I've got a small USB device that plugs in and downloads the photos.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
-- Pam Email (to be my friend on Facebook, email me. ) PLEASE identify yourself with your Cruise Critic name.

Boston. Strong.

* Me ziplining across Victoria Falls: https://plus.google.com/photos/10147...83463276981969
* Safari photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/1014740...eat=directlink

Upcoming:
Regal Princess: 11/1/18 10-day NY > FLL
Royal Princess: 4/27/19 Mexican Riviera
Royal Princess: 5/4/19 CA Coastal LA > Vancouver
Sky Princess: 11/17/19 Barcelona to FLL
Australia
1,485 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
We tried travelling with a tablet but didn't like it so we bought our mini laptop. We're probably old fashioned but we still use a camera not a phone to take our photos, and we like to transfer our pictures to the computer each night. It also gets us better internet access - we think. Slow, but good.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Central Texas
5,786 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
I use a smart phone for the [email protected] connection on the intranet - and for the time.
We bring a small laptop for email, photo storage, and for reading with a Kindle app.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Next - Have FCC, will travel.
30 Cruises:..Caribbean (19x), Panama (3x), Mediterranean (2x), So. America, Transatlantic (2x), Europe, Alaska, Tahiti-Hawaii
Ships:...Grand Princess (6x), Caribbean Princess (6x), Emerald Princess (5x), Sun Princess (3x), Crown Princess (2x), Royal Princess (2x), Island Princess, Liberty of the Seas, Pacific Princess II, Ryndam (HAL), Sea Princess, Star Princess
3,561 Posts
Joined Jun 2002
My husband brings his laptop, but only because he loves using photoshop for editing his photos. I take my iPad for using onboard, and we both have iPhones for using ashore.
6,101 Posts
Joined Jun 2004
On board, we use nothing.
We take a phone off the ship in case of emergencies, but we keep it turned off.
We also still use a camera-camera for photographs; I'm a photography teacher, and phones just don't take the same quality pictures.
As for downloading pix, buy a larger memory card -- really, you can get a 64G sd card for $20, and it'll hold thousands of pictures; unless you're taking duplicates and triplicates of everything, it's plenty. You can get up to 200G on a card, but those go for over $100. Again, I'm a photography teacher, and if you're taking thousands of pictures, here's the advice I'd give: Quit pushing the button so often -- instead, slow down. focus on what images you really want to convey, and take deliberate, planned photographs. 20 excellent photographs are better than 300 pushes of the button.
Chicago
642 Posts
Joined Jan 2017
Originally posted by MrsPete
On board, we use nothing.
We take a phone off the ship in case of emergencies, but we keep it turned off.
We also still use a camera-camera for photographs; I'm a photography teacher, and phones just don't take the same quality pictures.
As for downloading pix, buy a larger memory card -- really, you can get a 64G sd card for $20, and it'll hold thousands of pictures; unless you're taking duplicates and triplicates of everything, it's plenty. You can get up to 200G on a card, but those go for over $100. Again, I'm a photography teacher, and if you're taking thousands of pictures, here's the advice I'd give: Quit pushing the button so often -- instead, slow down. focus on what images you really want to convey, and take deliberate, planned photographs. 20 excellent photographs are better than 300 pushes of the button.
What is your opinion on GroPro? We are far from expert photographers, wanted something durable, waterproof for ocean and pool etc and not bulky. ..thoughts? Ordered the gopro silver 4

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app
6,101 Posts
Joined Jun 2004
Originally posted by Pier290
What is your opinion on GroPro? We are far from expert photographers, wanted something durable, waterproof for ocean and pool etc and not bulky. ..thoughts? Ordered the gopro silver 4

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app
Sorry, I don't have an opinion on that. I don't do rough-and-tumble or in-the-water photography. I'd suggest you read reviews online. Wish I had more.
cruising.cockroach {at} gmail hotmail and yahoo
1,690 Posts
Joined May 2012
You who do not backup really have faith in the absolute, infallible and total reliability of flash memory.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Using cruise lines as a cheap means of comfortable if not speedy intercontinental travel....

Sep 2017 Celebrity Millennium Vancouver-Yokohama
Too many BC Ferries crossings

May 2017 MS Chi-Cheemaun Tobermory-South Baymouth
Mar 2016 Star Princess San Pedro-Vancouver
Mar 2016 CMA CGM Libra HongKong - Long Beach
Jan 2016 RV Yandabo Bagan-Mandalay

Nov 2015 Tirrenia Bithia Janas Arbatax - Civitavecchia
Oct 2015 Saremar Ichnusa Bonifacio-Santa Teresa de Gallura
Oct 2015 Corsica Ferries Corsica Victoria Savona - Bastia
Oct 2014 HAL Zaandam Vancouver-Valparaiso
Mar 2014 Corsica Ferries Mega Express 3 Toulon-Ajaccio & Bastia-Nice
Oct. 2012 HAL Prinsendam Civitavecchia-Fort Lauderdale
April 2012 Island Princess San Pedro-Vancouver
Kasr Ibrim Abu Simbel-Aswan Feb. 2007

Way, way back....
P&O Cathay between Singapore and Hong Kong and back, March 1968 + August 1969
Koeln-Dusseldorfer Line Rotterdam - Bern
Thomson Ithaca Tanger to Brindisi April 1974
Chandris Bruge-Norway-Tilbury August 1974
Chandris Southampton - Canary Islands + Madeira - Southampton August 1976

USA
4,883 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
If I am going to be gone for a week or more my laptop goes with me. My phone always goes with me.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
http://www.jeannietx22.com/

Plus
X Elite Cunard Gold

2013-2017 257 nights at sea and counting
We have been blessed to travel to all 7 continents, and around the world.
Coming up:

7 nights Queen Mary December 8-15, 2019 Transatlantic Eastbound
Time in Europe then Getting to Africa by 12-30-2019- Month of January- Safaris
30 nights Oceania Nautica February 3-March 4, 2020 Cape Town to Singapore
Getting from Singapore to New Zealand- Travel New Zealand and Australia
18 nights RC Ovation Of The Seas April 20, 2020 Sydney to Honolulu
Waiting for Ovation schedule- Honolulu to North America

"The traveler sees what he sees. The tourist sees what he has come to see." -G.K. Chesterton
Fredericksburg, va. USA
88,833 Posts
Joined May 2001
I find that if I spend too much time taking photos, I miss "being in the moment"! We take a few shots, and then just enjoy our vacation. If it's a good vacation, I don't need pictures to remember it!!
Saskatoon, Canada
7,523 Posts
Joined Jun 2002
I bring a 13" netbook to download photos from my camera and iPhone. I also bring an iPad mini for my e-reader, music, and for occasional photos. Many say to put my music on my iPhone but I prefer to keep the space available for photos.

Smooth Sailing!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruising takes me to places where memories begin.

SF Bay Area
1,650 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
Originally posted by kruisey
It is a 32 day cruise and I usually take many pictures,

What do you take your "many pictures" with?

32-day cruise, take the laptop if its 15" or less. Your eyes and fingers will thank you for it.