Pre and post cruise in Tahiti/Bora Bora- ideas?

KathiB

Albert Rental Car on MOZ (https://www.albert-transport.net/location_vehicule_moorea_us.php) for three days = 24K XPF ($240). Cannot tell from the web site if this price includes taxes/other fees or any mileage allotment. Maybe Dandee can tell us? Anyway, for comparison sake, Avis is $255 before discounts (but with unlimited kms) if you sign up for e-mail communications. So Albert does not appear to be some big deal. 1 day PPT rental w/Hertz = 9K XPF ($90) [because I am going to make a comparison, I am only figuring a one day versus 2 day rental in PPT].

4 day PPT rental (can't tell you the rate for 5 days because we've only actually booked 4) w/Hertz (there's an office in the business district so you can pick up there and drop off at the airport) = 104K XPF ($104) with no mileage allotment. Add'l kms = $0.49/km. Round trip cost of ferry (http://www.aremiti.net/fare) from/to PPT/MOZ = 8.66K XPF ($86) if 4.65M< (don't know how this translates in the real world). This gives you/we use of a vehicle on both islands and for an add'l day (versus a MOZ only rental) at about $190 plus mileage. Can't tell you about Tahiti, but as long as you don't circle MOZ (half the island is desolate), your mileage use should be relatively minimal.

And I think you may be able to get a bit lower price booking on Priceline (check it out).

When we booked the basic cost of the car rental was $94 because the exchange rate was 1K XPF = $0.91. Now apparently the rate has risen to 1K XPF = $0.987. Who knows what it will be in a year but I don't think you can lock in the rate now in dollars (but I could be wrong).

Don't know if any of this helps but it should give you something to work off of.

And maybe Dandee can share his/her MOZ rental rate and how he/she did the booking?

Will answer later tonight. Let's say that we asked, and got, an automatic vs standard. I wouldn't worry about a few $ here and there. The cruise and the flight probably take 95% of the budget lol

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you both for all the info. The fares for the ferry that you both mention...is that for just 2 passengers or for a car on the ferry? We will have to give some thought to the option of getting the car on Tahiti so we can explore there a bit before continuing on to Moorea.

KathiB,

2300 xpf for 2 people, no car. The car is an extra 42000 xpf (one way)

http://www.terevau.pf/tarifs/

I should also mention that there is another ferry going across, the Arameti which have different rate and schedule.

Either way, you should contact them and ask if you need to reserve a spot in advance for a car, space is limited. No reservation needed for passenger only. Only need to show up and buy your ticket at the teller 1 hr before departure.

Sent from my iPad using Forums