More last minute *GT rates

moki'smommy

More dates released:

Dream: October 20' date=' 23, 30

Magic Oct 28, November 4, 18, Dec. 15, Dec. 20

Fantasy Oct. 28, Dec. 16,

Hope this is useful to someone--much easier to see in this format than hunting around the DCL site![/quote']

That surprises me that they're having a hard time selling holiday time cruises.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I imagine it has a bit to do with the hurricane damaged islands, and what's going to actually be open.

Maybe. The Dream cruises are all Nassau/Castaway, so no changes from normal there. The Magic cruises are New York departures, several going to PC and Castaway--again, no changes.

One on the Fantasy are listed as Western; not sure if that is the original or if that's been changed. The December on the Fantasy is listing Tortola and St. Thomas as well as CC. Of course, that is subject to change.

It is the slower season, but I'm also surprised to see so many at reduced rates.

Maybe. The Dream cruises are all Nassau/Castaway' date=' so no changes from normal there. The Magic cruises are New York departures, several going to PC and Castaway--again, no changes.

One on the Fantasy are listed as Western; not sure if that is the original or if that's been changed. The December on the Fantasy is listing Tortola and St. Thomas as well as CC. Of course, that is subject to change.

It is the slower season, but I'm also surprised to see so many at reduced rates.[/quote']

I'm hoping that they realize the customer will only pay so much and they realize they're charging too much for the cruises at this point.

I'm hoping that they realize the customer will only pay so much and they realize they're charging too much for the cruises at this point.

Maybe...but even most of these "low" rates are $2000 per week for the first two people in a cabin, and there is almost no difference between an inside cabin and a balcony (these prices are for the Fantasy cruises).

• 3 weeks later...

There are already offering GT rates this March on the Fantasy. Lots of interline rates this Fall too. We just booked the Nov 11 Magic sailing. It's been a while since I've seen a lots of discounts. It's a good sign for us non-planners.

There are already offering GT rates this March on the Fantasy. Lots of interline rates this Fall too. We just booked the Nov 11 Magic sailing. It's been a while since I've seen a lots of discounts. It's a good sign for us non-planners.

Yeah, I saw the March cruise last night. Also, the Fantasy cruise right after Thanksgiving is $2800 for a VGT for 2 people (total rate for 2, including all taxes). That's the lowest I've seen a 7 night cruise in quite a while., and typical VGTs are about $4000 for 2.

they're not charging too much if they're selling rooms at the high prices they're charging.

They then offer discounts to fill any rooms that are left.

it's a well known pricing technique - riding the demand curve (price skimming).

it's very effective and used by many companies, especially those that want to build and maintain their brand image - like DCL.

These are just for Florida residents, yes?

No, these are not FL res rates. They are *GT rates--also called "restricted rates." You do need to read the restrictions before booking. The main ones are that you can't make any changes to the reservation after booking (no add on people, taking people off, name changes, etc.), they are totally non-refundable, must be paid in full at the time of booking, and while you get to choose your cabin type, you do not get to choose a room number or category. After boarding, your room will not be changed just because you've decided that you don't like the room. You will be moved if there is something wrong with the room that can't be repaired quickly.

These rates are available to anyone.

I strongly suggest travel insurance since they are totally non-refundable thru DCL.

No' date=' these are not FL res rates. They are *GT rates--also called "restricted rates." You do need to read the restrictions before booking.[/quote']

Thank you. Very interesting. Where are these rates posted? I peek at the Special Offers page on DCL, but I guess I've never seen the GT rates (or I didn't know what I was looking at). The Special Offers page currently does not list these.

Thank you. Very interesting. Where are these rates posted? I peek at the Special Offers page on DCL, but I guess I've never seen the GT rates (or I didn't know what I was looking at). The Special Offers page currently does not list these.

On the DCL web site, you have to look up each individual cruise and cabin type. There are other sites which are not permitted to be posted here that list all the available discounted DCL cruises...these are typically sites belonging to travel agencies.

At the time I posted, these dates were accurate. Of course, as cabins fill, the offers can be withdrawn, and other dates are added on a regular basis.

No' date=' these are not FL res rates. They are *GT rates--also called "restricted rates." You do need to read the restrictions before booking. The main ones are that you can't make any changes to the reservation after booking (no add on people, taking people off, name changes, etc.), they are totally non-refundable, must be paid in full at the time of booking, and while you get to choose your cabin type, you do not get to choose a room number or category. After boarding, your room will not be changed just because you've decided that you don't like the room. You will be moved if there is something wrong with the room that can't be repaired quickly.

These rates are available to anyone.

I strongly suggest travel insurance since they are totally non-refundable thru DCL.[/quote']

It's not just after boarding that the cabin cannot be changed unless there is something mechanical that cannot be fixed. Unlike some other lines where you can book a guaranteed cabin and then call and whine that you don't like the one you got, and get it changed, on DCL once it's assigned it's assigned unless DCL needs to make a change for some reason. Which is probably a large part of why the *GT cabins are generally assigned around 10 days out if that.

It's not just after boarding that the cabin cannot be changed unless there is something mechanical that cannot be fixed. Unlike some other lines where you can book a guaranteed cabin and then call and whine that you don't like the one you got, and get it changed, on DCL once it's assigned it's assigned unless DCL needs to make a change for some reason. Which is probably a large part of why the *GT cabins are generally assigned around 10 days out if that.

Correct--my thinking was that people wouldn't have a reason to dislike a cabin prior to boarding. And indeed, these cabin assignments are typically available on line 10-14 days before embarkation, but you may not learn your assignment until you check in at the port.

Correct--my thinking was that people wouldn't have a reason to dislike a cabin prior to boarding. And indeed' date=' these cabin assignments are typically available on line 10-14 days before embarkation, but you may not learn your assignment until you check in at the port.[/quote']

Right.

I've seen people go online and see their assignment and then read reviews and start complaining that it's reported to be noisy, or in a bad location or otherwise "undesirable" - OR that in spite of it being clear that there is NO guarantee of where cabins will be and definitely not that they will be close people booking 2 and then complaining that they're not close together (particularly one where you want to slap someone upside the head if they're like "My children are in the other cabin!" - totally should have read the fine print). Just to emphasize, if you NEED your cabins to be together, do NOT book GTY or *GT because they could be on totally opposite ends of the ship and/or on completely different decks. Or it's an accessible cabin and the person doesn't want that.

Though actually I think the only time I've heard of a cabin being changed by DCL for something other than a mechanical issue is if someone was assigned an accessible cabin but then someone who legit needs it calls to book for that cruise. In that case I've heard of DCL changing the GTY or *GT assignment. But it's rare.

(Emphasis not for you moki'smommy - for anyone who searches and reads the thread.)

Right.

I've seen people go online and see their assignment and then read reviews and start complaining that it's reported to be noisy, or in a bad location or otherwise "undesirable" - OR that in spite of it being clear that there is NO guarantee of where cabins will be and definitely not that they will be close people booking 2 and then complaining that they're not close together (particularly one where you want to slap someone upside the head if they're like "My children are in the other cabin!" - totally should have read the fine print). Or it's an accessible cabin and the person doesn't want that.

Though actually I think the only time I've heard of a cabin being changed by DCL for something other than a mechanical issue is if someone was assigned an accessible cabin but then someone who legit needs it calls to book for that cruise. In that case I've heard of DCL changing the GTY or *GT assignment. But it's rare.

Definitely they will move someone out of an HA cabin if someone who needs it calls to book. Actually, they did this for us once. My daughter has a progressive mobility impairment. At the time we booked, she was walking essentially unaided. 4 days before the cruise, she sustained an injury that put her in a wheelchair full time. After consultation with her PT and physician, we contacted our travel agent 3 days before embarkation with the word that we could cruise IF an HA cabin was available; if it was not, we would use our travel insurance and cancel the cruise. The TA contacted DCL, and they agreed that a VGT booked couple would be moved out of the HA cabin and we would be placed in it. And the couple was given the cabin that we'd booked--actually a higher category than the HA. The husband actually came down to the cabin to "check us out" when he saw me pushing the wheelchair....with a very apologetic wife trailing behind.

Please note that there is A LOT more to an HA cabin than the ability to get a wheelchair thru the door--bars at the toilet, roll in shower with bars and a shower seat, etc. are often far more important to those who need them than whether the chair can fit thru the door.

DCL does make an effort to keep linked *GT bookings near each other. They started attempting this after a disasterous March 2009 cruise where they separated groups, and people on line were making arrangements to swap cabins in order to be near linked family members. DCL had treated each GTY/*GT as an independent reservation and literally scattered people all over the ship (which is their right). However, there were so many complaints that they do make some effort to keep linked groups in the same general vicinity...but there is absolutely no promise that they can do this. If you need/want connecting cabins, book them that way! And read the fine print.

Definitely they will move someone out of an HA cabin if someone who needs it calls to book. Actually' date=' they did this for us once. My daughter has a progressive mobility impairment. At the time we booked, she was walking essentially unaided. 4 days before the cruise, she sustained an injury that put her in a wheelchair full time. After consultation with her PT and physician, we contacted our travel agent 3 days before embarkation with the word that we could cruise IF an HA cabin was available; if it was not, we would use our travel insurance and cancel the cruise. The TA contacted DCL, and they agreed that a VGT booked couple would be moved out of the HA cabin and we would be placed in it. And the couple was given the cabin that we'd booked--actually a higher category than the HA. The husband actually came down to the cabin to "check us out" when he saw me pushing the wheelchair....with a very apologetic wife trailing behind.

Please note that there is A LOT more to an HA cabin than the ability to get a wheelchair thru the door--bars at the toilet, roll in shower with bars and a shower seat, etc. are often far more important to those who need them than whether the chair can fit thru the door.[/quote']

Oh I wasn't saying they shouldn't move people out. Just that it is not super common that someone who needs one reserves last-minute. By all means if someone needs to change into one for a reason like you stated or if someone does call more last-minute able-bodied people who are in there should be relocated. And yes, usually it will be into a better category, especially if the numbers have been out long enough for people to see them.

Hugs!

I was agreeing with you.

And if you book an HA cabin, you are asked if a member of your party has a need for it. People who do not have a medical need can book an HA cabin on DCL (unlike some other lines), but will be moved if someone needing it wants to book. Unfortunately, they have no way to control people who lie. And yes, we've met the man who "needed extra space to store his diving equipment."

I was agreeing with you.

And if you book an HA cabin' date=' you are asked if a member of your party has a need for it. People who do not have a medical need can book an HA cabin on DCL (unlike some other lines), but will be moved if someone needing it wants to book. Unfortunately, they have no way to control people who lie. And yes, we've met the man who "needed extra space to store his diving equipment."[/quote']

Gotcha! Hard to tell over the internet sometimes. :)

Oy. That is despicable!!

We have booked 2 guarantee cabins with dcl before and ended up right next to each other!

Many people have had that experience...but it isn't guaranteed. Since the 2009 mess, I think they quickly learned that families aren't going to be happy when far apart. Most people can understand that a GTY or *GT booking doesn't assure them of being near their "linked" friends or family.

Many people have had that experience...but it isn't guaranteed. Since the 2009 mess' date=' I think they quickly learned that families aren't going to be happy when far apart. Most people can understand that a GTY or *GT booking doesn't assure them of being near their "linked" friends or family.[/quote']

what was the 2009 mess?

what was the 2009 mess?
2009 was a time of great reductions in cruise fares. In March, 2009 there was a cruise where several hundred cabins were sold as GTYs (this was before the *GTs were started). We were on a 7 night Magic cruise in March and again in May. In March, it seemed as though DCL tossed all the GTYs into their computer and made random room assignments with no regard to reservations which may have been linked. Families were literally scattered all over the ship. When the assignments came out, people started making arrangements on line to trade rooms in order to place families nearer together. Shoreside instructed people that any changes would have to be made in person after boarding, Guest Services was swamped on embarkation day as people wanted to re-key rooms, and there were MANY complaints as to how things were handled. It really didn't matter to us as we had only one room and had received an upgrade over what we'd booked.

By May, the whole system had been sorted out so that linked cabins were typically placed near, if not next to each other. No more on line complaints or fussing. Interestingly, in May we were in 2 cabins--we were next to each other and got the same upgrade we'd had in March!