Looking for Family Friendly Beach

Milo67

Hello, family and I arrive in late January for a port of call on the Disney Wonder.

Can anyone suggest a nice family friendly beach in Antigua?

Preferably one with some amenities like a restaurant/bar, restroom, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Kind of surprised that nobody has jumped in on this thread. Perhaps the "family friendly" has some scratching their head. We have long been frequent visitors to Darkwood Beach (which can be reached by taxi or local bus) which is located right along the road. Darkwood does have a beach cafe/restaurant, bathrooms, changing rooms, and I think there is even a shower. They charge a fixed rate for renting chairs (not sure of the current price but a pair of chars/umbrella is probably about $15 - $20). The folks who run that place are very friendly (say hi to Too Tall). The beach is quite nice, sandy, and has a sandy bottom. But getting in and out does have a bit of a steep drop which could be a challenge to children (unless they have a grown up helping). Its far enough from town to not be overrun by cruisers (although it does attract a good crowd if there are a couple of ships in port) and, fortunately is not used by the ship tours :). My big caution is that you are talking about swimming in the sea and the water would generally be over the head of most children. So this is a place for families that are comfortable in the water.

Hank

• 3 weeks later...

We traveled to Antigua last Friday. We chose to go to Dickerson Beach. We are a family of 4 with 2 kids. The beach was very nice. The water was a bit murky, yet beautiful. The kids were in the water the entire time, it was quite calm. The sand was white powder. There was a beach bar open, where we got a couple of drinks. Sandals Resort is also on the beach. It is under renovation right now, so the beach was quite empty. Instead of renting loungers and an umbrella we set us with our towels under a permanent Sandals umbrella. I believe they said they were reopening sometime in Dec or Jan. It was a nice, relaxing day. The cab was $12 there and $12 back, total for the 4 of us. the taxi driver asked when we wanted to return and he was there waiting for us at the specified time.