Arcadia 29 Dec 2005 - Malaria pills?

happycruisingUK

This is my first post here so be gentle with me!

There are five of us going on this cruise to Acapulco and the Panama Canal and we have three different doctors surgeries between us. One surgery has said there is no need for malaria tablets, one has said take malaria A tablets and the third has not mentioned them either way. We have had the recommended injections but what is everyone doing about malaria pills?

For those not on this cruise it is going to Acapulco, San Juan del Sur, Puntarenas, Balboa and transiting the Panama Canal.

I would prefer not to take the pills as I have heard of nasty side effects but don't want to put our health at risk. What do you think?

Hi Happycruising

we already have a thread running for this trip - feel free to join in. With regard malaria pills and vaccinations - ouch!!! It hadn't even occured to me that they would be necessary. P&O certainly haven't recommended anything and having travelled in these areas before, I have never felt the need for such protection. Somehow I don't think we will be going anywhere near places you might pick up something nasty, but if you personally feel the need for added protection then you should take the pills if your doctor recommends.

Regards

Ken

Thanks Ken. I have read some of the thread, but it was so long I thought mine might get lost in there. We got our tickets today so it's coming really quickly now! Looking forward to it apart from the 15 hour flight (which I had no idea about when I booked it)

We have all had the injections already, but it was the malaria I was worried about as we are going to malaria regions. Have you been to these ports before?

Archived