QM2@Athens

Crouton

"...SAS and Special Boat Service units will be in Athens during the Games, helping the Greeks protect the Queen Mary 2 as it hosts Tony Blair, George Bush Sr, President Chirac and other dignitaries..."

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/articles/12463933?source=Evening%20Standard

I'm just starting this thread as a place for QM2 related news during her service in Athens for the Olympics.

Crouton

Blairs apparently staying aboard...

"...After returning from Barbados this week, Mr Blair and his wife, Cherie, who between them earn more than £350,000 a year, are expected to travel to Athens for the opening of the Olympic Games on Friday. Downing Street sources yesterday played down claims that the couple would be staying on the Queen Mary 2 in a £2,000-night suite with butler service..."

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/politics/story.jsp?story=549838

------------------

Another report suggests that at least 3 heads of state will be onboard at once for a party:

"...But security today suffered its first setback as details of who would be at the QM2 party after the opening ceremony-became known. Mr Bush, Mr Blair and M Chirac are the three most high-profile targets at the Games, and will each be surrounded by their own bodyguards when they arrive..."

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/articles/12500739?source=Evening%20Standard

Perhaps its just me, but I believe the news reporters are again acting

irresponsibly by publishing the names, identities, etc. of those aboard the

Queen Mary.

I work in DoD in the U.S. and the movements of certain individuals are not

released until the journey is complete if they will be in a risky area.

My husband and I are booked on the QM2 on 12/6 from New York City.

I hope if any potentially "targeted" individual is taking this cruise, it is

not released.

That said, I guess we have been warned that we are all targets if our

countries are participating in any way in Iraq.

Keep her safe!

Bugeye,

I wholeheartedly agree. However, I also suspect that the QM2, with those three aboard, will be the safest and most secure location on the planet.

I would imagine Navy Seals will be patrolling the waters - both above and below the surface. Our military, along with the British and French will be flying over and shooting down anything larger than a mosquito that comes within miles of the ship. And, the guest list has probably been scrubbed so many times that it is raw and needs some lotion.

Bill

My husband and I are booked on the QM2 on 12/6 from New York City.

Bugeye,

I forgot to add that my wife and I will be sailing on the November 26 cruise. I'll do a security sweep before I hand over the reins to you on the 6th. ;)

Bill

We sailed into Athens on Thursday night on the Westerdam. It was pretty exciting. We were photographing her(QM2) and visa versa. In addition there were fireworks going off as the tourch arrived. QM2 was already docked. She has two warships protecting her and a large protective bumper .

The Westerdam and Rotterdam are docked further into the port side by side.

Putin and all the Russian diplomatic people and their press is going to be on the Weserdam. The American diplomats were said to be on the QM2.

Apparently, the U.S. Women's Beach Volleyball Team is also aboard:

"...Skipping the Opening Ceremonies for a solid night's slumber on the Queen Mary 2 helped the U.S. beach volleyball team of Holly McPeak and Elaine Youngs make quick work of its Norwegian competition on Saturday, the first night of pool play at the seaside Olympic Beach Volleyball Centre...."

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/9402899.htm

Crouton

"...Greek Prime Minister Costas Caramanlis and former Greek Foreign Minister George Papandreou also were honored at a reception aboard the Queen Mary 2, the world's largest luxury liner, which is docked at Athens' main port of Piraeus. "Among those mingling in the crowd were U.S. Olympic Committee chairman Peter Ueberroth and gold medal-winning swimmers Donna DeVarona and John Nabor...."

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2004/08/15/sports1545EDT0299.DTL

- - - - -

"...It's hard for a hotel to make a lasting impression on NBA players who spend much of their year bouncing from posh hotel to posh hotel.

But this hotel does - because it's floating in the Piraeus Harbor.

Carlos Boozer and the Dream Team are staying on the Queen Mary 2, an $800 million ship that was launched in January.

"It's beautiful," Carlos Boozer said.

Boozer has a room with a view of the city. He and his teammates haven't had much chance to play on the ship yet, but they know they have plenty of options on the 14 decks.

"There's something to do on every floor," Boozer said. "If you want to go swimming, if you want to play putt-putt, if you want to go to a movie, it's really remarkable." Boozer said that there are several teams on the ship, including the U.S. women's basketball team..."

http://www.juneauempire.com/stories/081504/spo_boozer.shtml

Not the first and certainly not the last boozer who will be aboard QM2.

• 2 weeks later...

The QM2 in Athens has a number of security measures. Naval gunships were stationed bow and stern, with another ship cruising just outside of the harbor (see picture). On the quay at the bow of the ship were stationed four anti-aircraft guns. This of course does not include the 'invisible security' around the ship, under the water, which is probably more than was visible. Finally, there is a 300+M area of isolation between the ship and the access to the parking lot (Lions Gate) that protects both the QM2 and the Silver Whisper (also a VVVVIP residence). Lots of military and lots of scrutiny.

I was far less concerned once we saw the security measures that were around the ship! Combine this with the rather extreme precautions for passenger embarkation from the dock and I believe that the QM2 is going to be with us post-Athens and for some time to come.

P8110291.jpg.96eae757a9c7ceea25ec1d64bff9a3a3.jpg

Archived