Cruise has been cancelled by Uniworld

winegirl

I purchased about $ 35,000 worth of travel arrangements including a Unworld river cruise for 5 family members and airline tickets on American Airlines and Air France to accomodate the "open jaw" cruise (start Paris, end Bordeaux.)

I also purchased travel insurance via Squaremouth portal from itravelinsured.com, carrier is US Fire Insurance Company. It is a pretty comprehensive policy and for all 5 of us, cost over $ 2,000.

Uniworld just informed my TA that the cruise we booked was cancelled: they plan to take the boat out of service for "renovations." Uniworld booked us on another cruise (without asking us first,) and now we have to change all our airline arrangements. The tickets were from American Airlines and Air France (open jaw tickets.) Uniworld offered to pay up to $ 350 per ticket airline change fees or refund the cruise payments.

American will change the ticket for $ 300 each, plus any price increase. New prices plus change fee amounts to additional $ 2281. The Air France tickets are a total loss, so I'll have to repurchase for another $478. So after Uniworld reimburses me, I'd still be out $ 1200+ for higher airline costs.

After reviewing my travel insurance policy, I see no provision for reimbursement for cancelled cruise due to cruise line decision (not default or bankruptcy.) Many other covered situations but none specifically noting "your cruise was cancelled due to cruise line decision."

Has anyone run into this and if so, did insurance reimburse you for the additional costs to rebook new airline tickets? Any suggestions on what tack to take with the cruise line? This is the second time Uniworld has changed our arrangements for this cruise, the first after they sold the cruise we were booked on to a group.

• 2 weeks later...