Any carnival cruisers who like to Geocache out there?

My upcoming cruise is the first I have gone on after starting geocaching. Wondering if there are any like minded carnival cruisers out there, who love the hunt in new ports?

Dropped out of Geocaching a couple of years ago, but. yeah, we've found plenty of caches on the islands. Some of our best finds were on cruises. I might still have a profile over on the Geocaching website. Same moniker as here IIRC Might be able to read some of my logs from the islands if they still exist.

• 3 months later...

We geocached often a few years ago, but gave it up when our son got older and lost interest and because it was getting a lot more difficult to get to new caches. As our driving radius increased significantly just to get to new ones, we couldn't really justify the gas expense.

I tried to get back into it myself after being away for a while because some new ones had popped up, but didn't appreciate the changes that the company made. Back then, you could use the free smartphone app, but it only showed the three nearest caches at one time. So we purchased the full app for $10. Expensive for an app back then, but we got so much use and fun out of it, it was well worth it. Since we often cached in rural areas without cell service, being able to save caches and map data for offline use was the most important feature. Google Maps used to be integrated into the original app and it was more helpful in our area than other map providers. Then they changed it so only those who bought premium membership could use Google Maps integration, which I wasn't going to do. When I tried to get back into it later on, I discovered that they discontinued the $10 app I had. They switched to a free app that only allowed you to find caches with low difficulty/terrain levels. You're now forced to buy premium if you want full access to the app. Anything other than premium is severely limited now. After so many users helped grow the hobby and make the company very successful, I didn't appreciate being forced to buy membership. I just didn't agree with how they were treating long-time players. Every step of the way, they were requiring users to pay more & more just to do what we had always been able to do.

Geocaching was a lot of fun while it lasted for us. It took us to some great places and, on one occasion, even lead us to some rich family history of mine that I didn't know about. But there was only so much I could take.

• 1 year later...