People canceling last minute

cabincop

The other option I have seen it that people pay the vendor directly, so you don't handle other people's money. Sometimes that can get messy as well.

Last week someone wrote that the organizer cancelled a trip the morning of the tour because others had cancelled. The tour guide had not asked for pre payment, and had organized the travel van himself. He was left carying the costs and loss of business and the couples who still wanted to go weren't even offered the option to continue or given time to arrange a plan B.

I feel your pain 🙄 Our group of ten women 'Golf Bags that have been together over 30 years' have been planning this cruise for over a year. A month before sail date one of our Golf Bags cancelled. It left the rest of us with increased costs for transportation and tours. Rude - just rude!

PayPal is the way to go to avoid this situation in the future.

I was a late-comer to using it, but it’s really the easiest and best way to go!

Once your transportation or tour is arranged, the first (X) number of people to pay via PayPal get to go on the tour. Others miss out.

If they are serious, the money is in your account the same day....then you can post about any available spaces you might still have left for others.

GOOD LUCK!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is a common problem across all social situations. Such as buying theatre tickets for a group that are non refundable and then people not wanting them.In my case it was $35 each for 2 tickets. (local community theatre). I decided long ago not to organize things for this reason. If I agree to something like bringing something for a pot luck I will drop off a dish if I can't attend. I had someone cancel two hours before a fourth of July barbeque that was supposed to bring the watermelon and so we had no watermelon. Not cool. So to answer your question either get payment upfront even if it is not required by the vendor or in the case of excursions have people pay the vendor directly. Or in my case just go it alone.

So am I understanding this right?.......You paid for everyone and they paid you?

If so, next time; When payments are due, invite everyone round to your house for a 'pre cruise party' or something similar. Already have each couple set up with an NCL account. Tell them to bring their credit card. Pull up each couples account and have them enter their CC info. Or call NCL/ travel agent with their CC info.

If they don't pay...They don't go.

That is a most excellent idea!

I used to worry about the expense. Now when I work out any shared transportation or excursion each person wanting to be involved has to either pay their costs direct to the vendor (my preferred method) or to my paypal. A email goes out and within the email (or posting online) says once paid its not refundable. IF a person needed to cancel and could find a replacement then the person was then reimbursed, minus any fees if applicable. Doing it this way not only made me feel better, but also everyone else on the transfer/excursion that they would not be asked to pay more themselves. So far so good......I also always put a few people on a waiting list just in case.

Maybe they have circumstances where they had to cancel.

Seems like the transport company could be more willing to help.

At one week out, I doubt the transportation company could re-sell that space and it should not be the OP or the transportation company that loses money because it is such short notice. The person that cancelled should do the right thing and pay for what they contracted for.

I have been lucky in finding other passengers on the ship who wanted to do a transfer. Make friends along the way and put your feelers out. Hopefully you will find four more. I was even able to do this going from Chiva tavecchia to Rome down in the baggage claim area. There were two couples that had no idea how they were going to get to Rome airport. Thankfully, I came to their aid and it helped my group also.

Let us know how you make out!

This has happened several times on many cruises I have been on. One person organizes a trip/transfer, etc. Some people cancel at the last minute or don't show and the organizer (or other people in group) are having to pay. That is the main reason I don't organize these things.

The only thing you can do is set up a pay pal account and have people make payment to you or the company before the final pay day is due. If people make payment, they are less likely to cancel or not show up. Sorry this happened, enjoy your cruise!

I was just thinking about setting up a PayPal share. I personally use PayPal when I'm using a company I'm not sure of and don't want them to have my bank or credit card info. I just recently saw they now have a way for multiple people to pay into a pool.

Ramona