Bid to upgrade to Deluxe Owner’s Suite

English101

If you’ve won a bid to upgrade to a Deluxe Owner’s Suite I’m wondering...

1. Which category was originally booked? We are 4 in a 2bedroom suite.

2. How long did you wait to bid after your invite email? I waited about a week.

3. Anyone win by bidding the minimum? We bid minimum.

4. How much time before the cruise were you notified?

And then if you DID NOT win the bid, were you notified?

Feeling like a child waiting impatiently for Christmas to arrive!!!!!

I was booked in a family suite with balcony on Dawn. Bid about a week after the invite after I had researched all available owner's suites with two balconies to see if there were any with negatives. I bid 800 (fair) of the 1200 difference between the family suite and DOS with 2 balconies. Was notified of a decline of my bid about 48 hrs before sailing. Did I cover all the questions?

I was booked in a family suite with balcony on Dawn. Bid about a week after the invite after I had researched all available owner's suites with two balconies to see if there were any with negatives. I bid 800 (fair) of the 1200 difference between the family suite and DOS with 2 balconies. Was notified of a decline of my bid about 48 hrs before sailing. Did I cover all the questions?

Thanks! Sorry you didn’t win the bid but happy to hear that they did notify that you didn’t get it...just wish I didn’t have to wait that long to hear it wasn’t happening....thinking it’s because they don’t assign the DOS until that late.

I can't help you with all your questions because my experience was with the upsell department a few months before the bidding system went into place, but I can give you our pricing experience on they theory that may help you with NCL general target. At the time we were contacted, we were in an H5 (Haven Courtyard Penthouse). At first they offered us the DOS (on the Breakaway) at $1750/pp. We said thanks but no thanks. They called us back one last time and offered it to us for $1500/pp and we took it. I should also note that we knew nothing about NCL as this was our first cruise so really had no idea what we were doing.

At first I thought maybe I could have done better and was kicking myself a little bit. One night at the Haven Lounge we were talking about how we felt like it was worth the $1500/pp given all the additional space, the balcony and the massive bathroom. Another couple overheard us and we got to talking, turns out they were also in an H5 and called in to the Upsell Dept to ask what the one remaining DOS was going for. The Dept quoted them $1500 and they countered at $1350/pp and the upseell dept rejected it. He said he talked it over with his wife and called back a few hours later to accept the $1500 offer, but by then I had already accepted it.

To this day we still joke about how NCL reached out to us because it was our first cruise . . . only sail in DOS since!

To this day we still joke about how NCL reached out to us because it was our first cruise . . . only sail in DOS since!

Wow! I wondered if we’d find out eventually who we’re bidding against!!

Your first cruise was DOS!? And now you can’t settle for anything less!? 😂 another point against winning the bid!!! How many more times in DOS since? My first cruise was inside with my family. Second was a balcony for our honeymoon, next another balcony (how can you cruise without once you’ve tried it!?), next our first with our daughters-their first cruise ever in a Haven aft penthouse, ditto for next cruise, and now this one in 2BR or DOS. :rolleyes:

Your first cruise was DOS!? And now you can’t settle for anything less!? 😂 another point against winning the bid!!! How many more times in DOS since? My first cruise was inside with my family. Second was a balcony for our honeymoon, next another balcony (how can you cruise without once you’ve tried it!?), next our first with our daughters-their first cruise ever in a Haven aft penthouse, ditto for next cruise, and now this one in 2BR or DOS. :rolleyes:

4 times on the Breakaway and next month our first DOS on the Escape. Wish you the best of luck, but already being in the Haven you're in a win/win situation!

Guest from Balcony upwards can bid on the DOS.

The sooner you bid, the more chance you have for NCL to award the upgrade.

No. All guests from balcony upwards can bid on a DOS. There are very few DOS.

Suites are awarded week of cruise. You would hear 9/24-9/26.

Declines are sent out 48 hours to cruse 9/27-9/28

Keep waiting. You'll know in 8 weeks.

You can only upgrade 2 categories higher than you’re booked in. I don’t believe balconies would be able to bid on DOS as that would be over the 2 categories.

I’m hoping to get the email as well to bid for a DOS on the Epic.

How old are the kids? If asking for the GA that only has 2 DOS but it appears both are still open. Note that the movable wall has noise leakage issues and if your kids are o.k. with sharing the couch in the living room are considerations.

You can only upgrade 2 categories higher than you’re booked in. I don’t believe balconies would be able to bid on DOS as that would be over the 2 categories.

I think for purposes of the bidding program thr entire Haven is one category, so if you are eligible to bid on one Haven cabin, you can bid on them all.

How old are the kids? If asking for the GA that only has 2 DOS but it appears both are still open. Note that the movable wall has noise leakage issues and if your kids are o.k. with sharing the couch in the living room are considerations.

I echo this point. The noise leakage is prevalent most of the time. Also, if you can grab the starboard side suite, we found that much more quiet than the port side. On the port, right above you in a public sundeck and the pitter patter of little feet and moving chairs was pretty regular. On the starboard side, the Haven sundeck is above you, but that forward section is much quieter.

It's not category, it's "meta". You can bid two "metas" higher than your current booking. A "meta" is all interiors, all ocean views, all balconies, and all Havens. Haven is unique in that you can bid on individual categories within the Haven meta, whereas, with all of the other metas, you are bidding for an upgrade to that meta, not a specific category within it.

Since the Haven is only one meta, anyone in any balcony, mini-suite, or Haven can bid, though Haven occupants can only bid on Haven categories above their own. If you are, say, already booked in an H5, you can't bid on an H9.

Last year we got super lucky and got upgraded from Balcony to DOS on the Dawn for $620 bid total ($310 pp)!! That was a fluke though; we had bid just $10 over the minimum of $300 for the SE Penthouse. About 4 days before sailing we received an email from NCL upsell dept saying:

"

Please call me to accept category SA for your bidding price of your balcony , please keep in mind cabins are limited and base on first call back basis."

Needless to say we took it and had an awesome week!

JB

I was already booked in a 3 bedroom garden villa on the Dawn and at 80 days out I received an upgrade email. I wasn't sure where we could possibly upgrade to so I called the 800 number. I asked why I received an upgrade offer if I'm in the highest cabin. The rep looked at our reservation and thanked me for booking the 3 Bedroom Garden Villa, she said that she noticed I have a boating license on file and for $500 additional the captain would let me steer the ship while he was on his dinner break!!! LOL

Best,

Mark

i was already booked in a 3 bedroom garden villa on the dawn and at 80 days out i received an upgrade email. I wasn't sure where we could possibly upgrade to so i called the 800 number. I asked why i received an upgrade offer if i'm in the highest cabin. The rep looked at our reservation and thanked me for booking the 3 bedroom garden villa, she said that she noticed i have a boating license on file and for $500 additional the captain would let me steer the ship while he was on his dinner break!!! Lol

best,

mark

:'):'):'):'):') :')

I think for purposes of the bidding program thr entire Haven is one category, so if you are eligible to bid on one Haven cabin, you can bid on them all.

Correct-Haven is one category. You can bid on all cabin types. You will see that when you get offer to upgrade.

Lol, my first was an OV, next several were balconies (I can't sail in anything less), next one is a mini suite. I can't afford anything more yet, and frankly I don't think I want to, or else I will always want more :). I am just happy having a balcony and the little more room in the mini suite will be nice. Happy sailing all

I just booked an H2 on a 13 day cruise. Price is crazy high. In the old days, if cabins weren't taken, they were lowered. So do I understand that instead of lowering prices that people can see, they are doing behind the scenes bidding? Is that so Haven prices aren't discounted publicly? So I guess I'll never get this cabin for a lower price, correct?

I just booked an H2 on a 13 day cruise. Price is crazy high. In the old days, if cabins weren't taken, they were lowered. So do I understand that instead of lowering prices that people can see, they are doing behind the scenes bidding? Is that so Haven prices aren't discounted publicly? So I guess I'll never get this cabin for a lower price, correct?

I have definitely seen them lower prices on Havens on under-booked sailings prior to accepting bids. Recently a couple of different people decided to book an upgrade to Haven outright, rather than bidding, on a Getaway sailing in September because Haven Spa prices dropped to $1999 per person.

Last year we got super lucky and got upgraded from Balcony to DOS on the Dawn for $620 bid total ($310 pp)!! That was a fluke though; we had bid just $10 over the minimum of $300 for the SE Penthouse. About 4 days before sailing we received an email from NCL upsell dept saying:

"

Please call me to accept category SA for your bidding price of your balcony , please keep in mind cabins are limited and base on first call back basis."

Needless to say we took it and had an awesome week!

JB

That is a great deal but the DOS on the Dawn/Star are kind of unique as they don't have a balcony and were added a few years back. Typically that category sells for less than the SB (OS) and 2-BR on those ships.

Both are still available for your cruise, so there is a chance. But personally, I don’t think the minimum bid of 750 will get it. Haven prices are low on that sailing compared to what I paid in May. The 2 bedrooms are selling strong with only a few on deck 15 left. There will be strong competition. If you really want it, upgrade outright as I think they will sell on their own. If not, people will bid more than the minimum. The bathroom in the 2 bedroom is really just as nice, and the added shower really helps with 4 people getting ready at once.

• 1 month later...
Both are still available for your cruise, so there is a chance. But personally, I don’t think the minimum bid of 750 will get it. Haven prices are low on that sailing compared to what I paid in May. The 2 bedrooms are selling strong with only a few on deck 15 left. There will be strong competition. If you really want it, upgrade outright as I think they will sell on their own. If not, people will bid more than the minimum. The bathroom in the 2 bedroom is really just as nice, and the added shower really helps with 4 people getting ready at once.

We still haven’t heard either way yet. We bid a little over minimum. We want it because of what it is but, I’d also be very happy in the 2bedroom for the separate areas and extra money in our pocket!!! We’ve stayed in Aft penthouse and most seems very similar another bedroom and bigger second bathroom. We’ll be ecstatic either way but I just WANT TO KNOW which room I’m staying in!! Lol

A few days ago, there were still 8 rooms in the Haven which would sleep 4 and the very next day, all were listed as sold out. I doubt they were all booked in those 24 hours between my checking. Only time will tell!!!

I’m sorry I missed all these replies!!!

I felt the same way when I had a bid in on a DOS for my cruise last week. I honestly think I should have just upgraded for it! I got the "you didn't get your bid" email at 48 hours prior to sailing but I wasn't surprised because they'd shown as sold out for a month.

I have a cruise booked for January 2020 and had a look to check the DOS prices and they both are already booked!

Sent from my SM-T817V using Forums mobile app

I felt the same way when I had a bid in on a DOS for my cruise last week. I honestly think I should have just upgraded for it! I got the "you didn't get your bid" email at 48 hours prior to sailing but I wasn't surprised because they'd shown as sold out for a month.

I have a cruise booked for January 2020 and had a look to check the DOS prices and they both are already booked!

Sent from my SM-T817V using Forums mobile app

So you think since everything shows “sold out” that they all got booked? I thought maybe they assigned the upgrades but just hadn’t notified everyone yet. We’ll see. I secretly wish we stay in 2 bedroom. I love the location (DOS is just up the hall but I hear Port side can be noisy with The public sundeck up above. All this time I was imagining myself starboard side, under the haven sundeck which would probably be a lot quieter), separate bedrooms, 2 full bathrooms, a living room that is just that and I won’t feel like I’m intruding on someone’s bedroom, and more money in my pocket!!