What is required to debark the ship under "Support for the Cuban people?"

CarribeanCruise321

If selecting the category "Support for the Cuban people," does the cruise require any specific documentation for passengers to get off the ship in Havana?

Is this a new change with the Trump changes? That isn't what I selected for my trip last May 2017. BUT ... it was before the Trump announcement/change.

Support for the Cuban people - I am traveling to Cuba to engage with recognized human rights organizations, independent organizations designed to promote a rapid, peaceful transition to democracy, or individuals and non-governmental organizations that promote independent activity intended to strengthen civil society in Cuba; AND my schedule of activities does not include free time or recreation in excess of that consistent with a full-time schedule (31 C.F.R. § 515.574).

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cuba/content/uploads/2017/11/Cuba.Guest_.Instructions.Final_.Nov_.14.Rev_.pdf

Support for the Cuban people - I am traveling to Cuba to engage with recognized human rights organizations, independent organizations designed to promote a rapid, peaceful transition to democracy, or individuals and non-governmental organizations that promote independent activity intended to strengthen civil society in Cuba; AND my schedule of activities does not include free time or recreation in excess of that consistent with a full-time schedule (31 C.F.R. § 515.574).

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cuba/content/uploads/2017/11/Cuba.Guest_.Instructions.Final_.Nov_.14.Rev_.pdf

Are there any of these organizations that actually exist in Cuba? Seems to me the government in Cuba controls everything, so what makes you think that there are any of these types of these groups not under the control of the government? I would hope so but do not think it is possible. Hope you show me that I am wrong.

I believe the taxi drivers are individuals promoting individual activity (if you research them you will see that if they have a yellow license plate that means they work for themselves). Artists selling their work are individuals as well. Not everything in Cuba is government run. There is a list of hotels, shops and restaurants that Americans are not to patronize but there are lots of small businesses that are not on that list. The main thing seems to be keeping a careful record/receipts for what you did do. These need to be maintained for five years just in case. I'm not sure under what scenario our government would show up at your door and ask to see what you did in Cuba. Someone mentioned if you were audited but that would be more likely a question of what you purchased and if you owed taxes. And actually there were less questions coming through customs from my trip to Cuba than I've had coming from some other places.

St. Louis Sal

If selecting the category "Support for the Cuban people," does the cruise require any specific documentation for passengers to get off the ship in Havana?

Our cruiseline (Oceania) gave us the affidavit with 3 lines highlighted for us to check and then sign. Each was a form of "People-to-people", but we booked last February and sailed in December. I keep reading that it has now changed to the Support statement. But, anyway, after we signed the form at embarkation, no one ever again asked us anything about where we were going or what we were going to do. We took one tour (to a night time show), but for every place else we just did our own thing - either walking around on our own or hiring a private driver and guide for the day and going wherever we wanted. There are no police or military watching your every move. People move around freely (within the country).

• 8 months later...

I am really confused. I am doing the Tropicana show with Oceania and two other excursions on our own. The private excursion people told me to check Support for the Cuban people, but my travel agent said I may not be let off the ship. I am travelling under an American Passport. The travel agent said I should check Educational Exchanges group people - to -people.

What should I do?

@Bernie21 I went with Norwegian in May and selected "Support for the Cuban People." There were no impediments to getting off the ship. The ship's security never asked any questions about it. It was just a standard debarking like at every port. All you need is you passport.

This might be helpful as well:

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/orlando/yes-its-still-legal-to-visit-cuba-heres-how-i-did-it/Content?oid=13091521

That's a great link, and puts a lot into perspective.

While the Cuba Restricted List precludes transactions at a number of establishments, it does not stop you visiting them and looking around.

This site puts cruise travel into perspective when worrying about which OFAC choice to make: http://forums.debbiescaribbeanresortreviews.com/t/cruise-line-passengers-to-cuba-which-ofac-category/23708

Thank you so much. We booked the cruise last April before the changes, I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not. I think I may be being pressured to use the cruise lines excursions. What are my rights? I am travelling under a US passport.

@Bernie21 I went with Norwegian in May and selected "Support for the Cuban People." There were no impediments to getting off the ship. The ship's security never asked any questions about it. It was just a standard debarking like at every port. All you need is you passport.

This might be helpful as well:

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/orlando/yes-its-still-legal-to-visit-cuba-heres-how-i-did-it/Content?oid=13091521

Again obviously this is my anecdotal experience with Norwegian (not sure if another line might be different) but I was never questioned by the cruise line about my itinerary. I did not do any cruise line excursions, I did a free walking tour which lasted about 3 hours, and after that just did sightseeing without any guide. It's not mandatory to do any cruise line excursions.

This is the website I used for the free walking tour:

https://strawberrytours.com/havana

Thank you so much. We booked the cruise last April before the changes, I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not. I think I may be being pressured to use the cruise lines excursions. What are my rights? I am travelling under a US passport.

We just returned from the Oceania Sirena which stopped in Havana, Cienfuegos and Santiago.

We checked off "Support the Cuban People" on the affidavit and then hired private guides for each port. Oceania processed the documents, charged the fee to our ship account, and had the visa ready for us when we embarked. No problem.

The only time there was a line through immigration was when the ship's excursions were leaving the ship. Since there were so many people leaving at the same time, obviously a line formed. Because we had private guides, we set a time to meet them a little later than the excursions so we did not have to deal with the large groups leaving the ship. When we were ready to leave, we just walked through immigration and handed them our passports and visas. They looked at the passports and visas, then looked at us, then handed our documents back to us and off we went. That was it. Absolutely no problems.

We hired Raul of Blexie Tours in Havana, Gio's Cuba Tours in Cienfuegos to go to Trinidad, and Maikel Alvarez in Santiago. They all were great and we highly recommend them.