Live from Oceania Sirena (December 16th to January 20th)

travelberlin

Salvador Bahia can be intimidating if you are visiting for the first time. This was the last port of call before we disembarked in Rio. Since we have been already many times in Salvador Bahia, we knew how to move around. The city has several areas, but probably for cruisers two areas are important.

One is the area close to the port, called Baixa. This is not a good neighborhood to walk around. But it is the place where the ship arrives, so it is more or less your first impression from Salvador Bahia. Many people offering tours and taxis around. The best thing to do, is just to come out of the port, walk around 300 mts to the right, and then about 200 mts to the left, passing a market selling handicrafts and then to arrive at an elevator called La Zerda. Many people are using this elevator, it costs Reais 0.15 each ride and even though it is so full it is well organized. With the elevator one arrives at the old city from Salvador Bahia, which is actually the fascinating area of this city. Full from tourists special if they are many ships on port that day. But it is not an easy place for people on wheel chairs since the streets are not conducive for that purpose.

We stayed overnight in Salvador and we went twice to the upper part of the city using that elevator. Both times interesting, but I found the evening experience better. Maybe because it was the first time we were on the evening there. Not so hot anymore, but pleasant temperatures with music everywhere and people playing drums or dancing. Some capoeira demonstrations taking place. We walked around for a while and then just stopped at a restaurant near to the San Francisco church for some Batidas de Coco (I think this is sugar cane alcohol, condense milk, coconut milk and meat and ice blended on a mixer). The same as Caipirinha is a drink which is typical from Brazil in this area of the country. We have just let the time pass watching tourists and locals and enjoying the atmosphere. On our way back to the ship, there were not so many people anymore at the elevator or on the streets and the market was closed. There I had a little of a funny feeling because some indigent approached us and was insistent. He was not unpolite or aggressive or anything like that. Just insistent…but another Brazilian, who was just passing by and saw that we were approached insistently, just told the person to move on. I guess that you will always receive help in case of need in Brazil... I decided that next time I am at night in Salvador, I would rather take a taxi back to the ship (about US 10). My husband did not feel uneasy at all. Both of us agreed that Salvador at night was fascinating.

On the next day, our ship was staying until 16.00. Usually, when we are in Salvador Bahia, we like to enjoy food from the region in one of the best restaurants in town. It is called Maria Matamouros. If you have the opportunity to be in Salvador try to eat there. They have a wonderful Shrimp’s moqueca in a nice setting. The restaurant is about 50 meters to the left from the San Francisco Church.

This time, since we were eating well at the ship, we did not feel like going out for lunch in Salvador. So we just visited the convent and the San Francisco Church, went to the House from Jorge Amado (a well known Brazilian writer) and walked around again until it was time to have our caipirinha and batida de coco. We were lucky to encounter a fashion shoot (the picture posted before). Beautiful ladies. We used the elevator twice on that day and it runs quite organized.

When we were in the city we met many people from our ship and all of them were enjoying their time there. Their feeling was that it is a fascinating place.

But when we came back to the ship, we talked to some people, who did not go to the upper part of town, who either just walked around next to the port in the unattractive Baixa, or just stayed on the ship. They felt intimidated and uneasy even to disembark. It is a pity. I think Oceania does a good job taking care of the guests, but in Salvador maybe the announcements contributed so that people feel intimidated. For example they told us to walk on groups. Even me, felt after hearing the announcements that maybe the city had become more dangerous since our last visit. Fortunately we did not have any indication during our visit that this was so. Salvador Bahia is still the colorful, welcoming place with an atmosphere that makes this place unique.

I will send some pictures to Bodogbodog, so that he can post them for me.

Have a nice day. Bye, bye.

Ivi

I would probably have booked a tour in such a port. Sounds fascinating.

Yes Floridiana, I think that for first time visitors in Salvador, it is better to book a tour.

As a matter of fact, I think that for most of the ports we have visited during this cruise, it is better to book a tour. This specially because the port areas are not really that inviting to walk on your own if you are not familiar with the language, customs, and are used to US or European ports. The Caribbean, Mexican and Centroamerican ports are already a big difference than for example, Key West.

Now, we found the tours offered by the ship, expensive. We have booked two tours with the ship, one in Acapulco (because of safety concerns) and one in Corinto (because of time concerns). They were fine, specially the one to Nicaragua because our guide was so informed and willing to share his knowledge about his land.

There were also other tours being organized by cruise critic members. We have met passengers who have pointed out to at least two of those organized tours. For example in Manaus, we were by coincidence with one of those groups in the same tour.

Since we like to remain independent, we prefer to either book a tour on our own, or just with the information about the ports, go on our own.

All options were possible on this cruise with Oceania.

Ivi

I arranged an 8 person tour in Salvador on our TA in November 2013 on Marina. It was great. This was also the first and last time the guide googled ME ... but that's because we were both in the music business, although very different aspects.

We had a great day and saw far more than we could have seen on our own for a very fair price.

Mura

This post is to send a BIG Thanks to Bodogbodog, who has been posting all the photos I have sent to him during this cruise. Bodogbodog an me have not met yet in person. We are both members from cruise critic and active in the Crystal forum. He is always willing to help and answer questions from other members.

When I have first started my thread, I realized that it would be nice to accompany my reports with the photos I was making. I only use an iPhone, but I thought my photos could illustrate better what I was trying to explain with words. I mentioned at that time, that it was a pity that I did not know how to post photos in the cruise critic forum.

Bodogbodog offered immediately (what were you doing Terry on the Oceania Forum?) his help either to teach me how to use tapatalk or to post my photos himself. Since then, I have been sending him fast every day my photos via WhatsApp, Application which I believed, he learned for this purpose.

Terry you were great! Thanks so much for following my thread and for posting my photos. My husband and me are looking forward to meet you next year when we meet personally, if God it so wishes, for our cruise with the Crystal Serenity in January next year.

I know you are boarding tomorrow the Crystal Serenity for another amazing cruise from Los Angeles to Sydney. Have a wonderful cruise and we will keep in touch.

Ivi

Ivi - it was my absolute pleasure to assist. Your descriptions were great and you are on holiday so didn’t need to have to bother learning how to post photos - one less thing to worry about

Oceania is definitely on my list if I pluck up the courage to venture away from Crystal - hence an occasional foray into their forums

Safe travels home and thanks for taking us on the journey

Look forward to meeting you next year - it will roll around sooner than you think :D

Ivi,

Thank you for taking us along your journey. I enjoyed both your commentary and the pictures. We have been to most of those places but not to Bahia Salvador and I hope to get there some day. Now, thanks to you, I would know what to do when I get there :)

It is an effort to post on your vacation and it is appreciated.

Safe travels home.

Paul

What a wonderful travel log this has been. Thank you for taking us with you on your vacation. I Truely hope that some day I get the pleasure of sailing with you and your husband! Please have a safe trip home.

Thanks to you Cruseforme! I am glad you have enjoyed it. Who knows, maybe we will indeed have the opportunity to be on the same cruise...

We had a good flight home but I have got a cold. I wanted to write some final thoughts on our cruise today but I am not feeling that well. I will try to do it tomorrow.

Thanks also to Paulchili, Jo-b and Floridiana for the kind comments.

Mura you are a musician? What type of music if I may ask?

Ivi

Ivi, I'm happy to answer. I grew up in a musical family -- my father was a professional violist who was in Toscanini's NBC Symphony as well as two top U.S. string quartets when he was younger. I studied violin and piano (in that order) but ended up as a professional singer. I trained for opera although I was one of the many talented people out there who do more performing at home! My husband is a graduate of Music & Art High School here in NY and is a fine pianist. In fact, that is how we met -- at a chamber music workshop.

More than you asked!

I, too, enjoyed your travel journal and photos. You have a wonderfully positive attitude that is always wonderful to see.

Mura

Ivi, I'm happy to answer. I grew up in a musical family -- my father was a professional violist who was in Toscanini's NBC Symphony as well as two top U.S. string quartets when he was younger. I studied violin and piano (in that order) but ended up as a professional singer. I trained for opera although I was one of the many talented people out there who do more performing at home! My husband is a graduate of Music & Art High School here in NY and is a fine pianist. In fact, that is how we met -- at a chamber music workshop.

More than you asked!

I, too, enjoyed your travel journal and photos. You have a wonderfully positive attitude that is always wonderful to see.

Mura

...and you are both wonderful people. We were lucky to meet you and enjoyed your company. :)

More than you asked!

Mura

Thanks Mura!

Wow you and your husband must be very talented!

When I was a child, my mother thought that part of an integral education was to learn to play piano. This has a lot to do with the place where she was born and grew up... a remote, wealthy town (wealthy before a land reform), middle of no where, in South America in which all, who could afford it, would have a piano. Those pianos were brought from Europe through the most incredible means of transport. The last hundreds of kmts by mule. In a way similar to stories from Manaus, where they have imported everything not available locally from Europe. My mother had a piano at her home.

So following the tradition, even after moving to the city, she sent my sister and me to piano lessons. Unfortunately none of us had the talent for it. But following the tradition there is a piano at my house...

During a cruise on an MSC ship, I was delighted to hear every evening a classic pianist who performed fantastically the Moonlight Sonata (complete). That cruise line has also very good singers (opera) and classic quartets.

At the Oceania Sirena, there was a pianist, a string quartet and a band. We did not listen to the pianist because at the same time more or less, we were attending to the music from the string quartet. So I can not tell what type of music he played. We have liked the string quartet a lot. We have also enjoyed the band very much.

Now it is me the one who has told you more than you have asked;)

Ivi

I'm glad you did, Ivi! Very interesting.

Growing up in Los Angeles I had plenty of friends who didn't play the piano -- but most of them had one in the house. Of course, it wasn't so difficult to get a piano delivered in a major U.S. city!

Mura

I'm glad you did, Ivi! Very interesting.

Growing up in Los Angeles I had plenty of friends who didn't play the piano -- but most of them had one in the house. Of course, it wasn't so difficult to get a piano delivered in a major U.S. city!

Mura

We did not have a Piano growing up in Chicago, but my father, being from Germany, had a love of classical music and played it on the Hifi all the time. When I had my own family I bought a piano from a client who was a professional opera singer/teacher. My daughter was very upset when we sold the piano though she had stopped playing years before; she thought it was de rigeur!

I have not been impressed with the quartets on Oceania, but in any event they don’t play my favorites (Shostakovich, Prokofiev, Reich, Adams) and never will. As music is important to my health and happiness I bring my own from home.

I appreciate anyone who enjoys the classical music on Oceania; I believe there are great benefits to that exposure. I’m very happy that my 6 month old grandson seems to enjoy Mozart at home and in a music appreciation class! Priceless.

Sandbag, we haven't been impressed with the quartets on board either ... but I am glad they are there!

I'm with you re Shostakovich and Prokofief, although not so much Reich and Adams! But Mozart and Bach are my gods ...

Good Evening! Some final thoughts…

We had a wonderful cruise on board Oceania Sirena. The cruise came to an end and we are back home now. When I started this thread, I was very open in terms of how it would develop. It turned out to be a mixture between our impressions from the life on board and the ports. I am writing this post to summarize our opinions in relation to our cruise with the Oceania Sirena.

About the ship

The ship was familiar from the beginning, because we have cruised before many times with Azamara, which has the same type of ships. Standard Cabins are small and bathrooms are tiny. The ship and cabins are well maintained and kept in a pristine condition.

An area of improvement could be to add or renew the filter for the type of smoke that comes out of the ship, when in movement. That smoke was for us, many times, annoying when sitting at the Terrace outside for lunch. It has a peculiar smell.

Nevertheless our overall impression of the ship is very positive.

About the itinerary

We have chosen this cruise because we were interested in cruising the Amazon river. As a matter of fact if Oceania would not have offered that possibility, we would have not taken this cruise.

The ship started in San Diego, which for us, international guests, is more complicated than Los Angeles or Miami. The ports of call in Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean were as good as any port in those areas. Our favorites were Tobago and Curaçao. I would have preferred to stay overnight in one of those ports and maybe skip Bridgetown.

The crossing of the Panama Canal as usual spectacular. An interesting port, because of the historical implications was Devils Island.

The cruising of the Amazon river did not disappoint us. On the contrary, we had lowered our expectations, thinking that cruising there with a large ship was not going to be that good. We were surprised by the diversity of the ports and we have enjoyed most of them. I did not like Santarem very much because I found it very loud, with loudspeakers everywhere. We have enjoyed Manaus, Parintins and Alter do Chao.

The other Brazilian ports outside the Amazon, were all known to us: Fortaleza, Recife, Salvador Bahia and Rio. We like Salvador Bahia the most and we were surprised by a different aspect from Recife. Rio de Janeiro was our disembarking port and having been there many times we did not stay.

Overall, we are satisfied with the itinerary.

About the entertainment on board

There were plenty of activities on board: bridge, golf putting, knitting, pilates, etc. We have appreciated very much the enrichment lectures, specially from Dr. Don Klein. We have learned a lot through those lectures.

The production shows on small ships like Oceania Sirena are not particularly inviting. I do appreciate the efforts of the young entertainers but somehow, those shows are not to our taste. Maybe because we do not know the music being played. We have liked single performances like the one from Jamie Stewart: music from Frank Sinatra and friends.

Our favorite entertainers were the Panache string quartet and the Band. We have tried not to miss their performances.

About the food and wine

Yes, we do think Oceania has the best dining experience in comparison to other ocean cruise lines. We found the house select package a good choice as part of the Olife offer.

Now, this was a long cruise of 35 days, so there were many repetitions of food. Since Oceania offers many restaurants we have tried to avoid getting bored by changing venues as much as we could. Our favorite restaurant is the Red Ginger.

The wines included in the house select package, were all quite good imho. Now, some were better than others and unfortunately those better wines would disappear quite soon. It was confusing because the lists of available wines were not updated. I imagine that it is a matter of logistics. This is an area of improvement since it has caused many complaints not only during this cruise but we remember having seen it also before our cruise in discussions of Oceania cruises at the Cruise Critics Forum.

Despite of this, we are very satisfied with the quality of food and wine during our cruise.

About the shore excursions

I guess the main complaint about the shore excursions with Oceania are the prices and that the excursion’s team is not really interested in providing port information unless you have booked an excursion with them. We have booked only two ship excursions and they were fine. Since we have done many things on our own in the ports, we could see that prices of excursions when bought locally were half the price. I am not sure who is getting the overheads for those inflated prices for excursions. Anyhow, we consider this a weakness.

About the shops and the services at the Spa

Similar to the shore excursions, the prices at the Spa are very expensive even comparing to other ocean cruise lines. So we did not use those services.

The shops unfortunately, did not have in our opinion, a good selection of products. We were lucky that we did not choose the option of non refundable on board credit as part of the Olife offer. We would have been in trouble spending it.

About the officers, the crew and service on board

We are very satisfied with the excellent service on board the Sirena. The restaurant managers, sommeliers, waiters and cabin attendants were efficient and friendly. We did not experience any situation, in which who could have had a reason to complain.

The Manager, Rafaelle Cinque, the Cruise Director and the Concierge were always available and taking corrective action in case of need. We are happy to have cruised with such high qualified and friendly officers and we hope to meet them again.

A BIG thanks to all of them. They have made us feel at home and have treated us, as if we were very important persons.

Our overall assessment of our cruise with the Oceania Sirena is that it was a very good cruise. We would certainly now actively look for Oceania offers when we are looking for future cruises.

Our thanks go also to the cruise critic members, who have followed this thread. You have encouraged me with your interest and comments to share our experiences with you. It was not always easy, since I was some days lazy, but you an me, we made it together.

Have happy cruises!

Ivi

Also just come off this cruise and thought it was great. Staff were the best. Nothing too much trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi! It was nice to meet you and your husband. I agree with you. Thanks again for sending my husband the pictures. Our best regards to you both.

Ivi

Thank you Ivi! I hope to cruise with you one day. Our next one is on Mein Schiff 6. Right now we are looking at a HAL itinerary and we have booked an Azamara cruise, also for the itinerary.

Thanks to you Floridiana! You never know, we might meet one day. Have you been before on Mein Schiff? We were on Mein Schiff 1 last year for the holiday season. I did not enjoy the food very much. I do not remember if English was also spoken. Do you speak German?

Ivi

Ivy, thank you so much for taking us along on your cruise. Your thoughtful perspective on travel made your “on board review” very special and one of my favorites ever on CC.

Those are really kind words buggins0402! I thank you for your opinion and for accompanying me on my journey.

Ivi