Queen Mary2 sheltered balcony deck 6

marie2006

Hi Rose, We will look you up. You should be close to us.

If QM2 has a kettle, that's great. We did not have one on Queen Victoria.

Does anyone know if there is a magnifying mirror in the bathroom? Also, are the soft drinks in the fridge and bottled water free?

marie 2006

marie2006

I am absolutely no help to you at all, this is my first time on QM2 and Cunard. All I know is from here and researching myself. This video is a glass Balcony not sheltered but it is a remastered cabin with all the bells and whistles we get. Someone else will tell you about the fridge but I have my doubts [emoji57]hope the video works.

marie2006 - unfortunately we board on the 24th Feb in Sydney, Cruise NZ then disembark Sydney on the 9th March. We will have been and gone before you board, but promise to leave her as we find her.

Didn’t look like a magnifying mirror either [emoji168] lipstick could be a problem, mascara definitely [emoji81]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Porky55

... If QM2 has a kettle, that's great. We did not have one on Queen Victoria. Does anyone know if there is a magnifying mirror in the bathroom? Also, are the soft drinks in the fridge and bottled water free? marie 2006
Hi marie 2006

In Britannia grade cabins there isn't a magnifying mirror in the bathroom sorry and, similar to your QV trip (if that was also in Britannia) and many hotels, soft drinks and bottled water in the in-cabin fridge come with a charge if consumed. There will be a price list on the fridge (you may remember seeing this previously).

Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the tips. Just wanted to confirm again that QM2 has a kettle in all rooms.

marie 2006

There are Tea making facilities in all staterooms 'across the fleet' on Cunard. Grills have the addition of a Coffee machine.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting thread. I never considered a sheltered balcony before but from the photos they are bigger, plus lower floors so less motion and a good view of the sea below instead of the promenade deck.

We've had a deck 7 glass balcony on QE and I have to say I stood up anyway to look out because the glass isn't exactly crystal clear.

We're looking at booking the Transatlantic on QM so I'm thinking whether boring open sea would necessitate the extra payment for a glass balcony- or would I feel too hemmed in and dark. Something to think about.

We have just booked a cruise on QM2 from Hong Kong to Dubai with a sheltered balcony (cabin 6177). Has anyone travelled in this cabin? Has it unobstructed views as apparently some of these cabins are obstructed. Does the sheltered balcony make the cabin dark? I would appreciate some advice on this. Thanks Marie2006

I was in 6192 last November and loved it. Sailing out Nov. 26 I was sitting out in my balcony late at night, I would not hesitate one moment to rebook a shelter balcony. Great location also !!

We're looking at booking the Transatlantic on QM so I'm thinking whether boring open sea would necessitate the extra payment for a glass balcony- or would I feel too hemmed in and dark. Something to think about.

"Boring open sea" - well, I suppose it's an acquired taste. My wife and I acquired that taste on our first crossing in 1973. The sea changes its appearance and "manners" frequently - even if it's just the colour.

It was only on our 9th voyage on the QM2 that we booked a sheltered balcony. It is now our favourite unless, of course, we got a great deal or upgrade to the Grills. We have been told there are some locations to avoid on Decks 4 and 6, which are obvious from looking at the deck plans, but Deck 5 seems perfect.

• 1 year later...

I had a sheltered balcony on deck 6 for 24 nights, Melbourne to Hong Kong.

Very little disturbance from above. The Promenade has time limits on running, so no disturbance from heavy feet when trying to sleep. Faint sounds when it was busy.

Also had some interesting views, such as being right above the hatch where the pilot boarded. Could not pay me enough.

Location midships, so great for access to everything.

Those things said, personally I would have preferred a more open balcony and view.

We have been upgraded to balconies twice and for the little time we use the room not sleeping there is little wish for them by us. We regard the room as a crib......we are sleeping in it or out doing something although we would not turn down an upgrade 

We had a sheltered balcony (6177) in April 2018 for 18 days - Hong Kong to Dubai. It had unobstructed views and was very quiet. However, unlike the glass balconies, a window had been cut into a steel surround and that was the only view. If you sat on the balcony you could not see out. The balcony made the cabin seem more spacious and it is certainly preferable to an indoor cabin. However, I would not book it again as it does not compare with an open balcony with glass doors.