Which one? Anc - Denali - Anc, or Anc - Denali - Fairbanks

Bossladyn

I was trying to decide on what to do for the trip to Denali. We basically don't get any time in Anchorage. Planning train from Seward, so arrival is at 10 PM or so. Planning on picking up the rental car early in the morning and heading to Denali. Would you return to Anchorage for a couple days touring, or would you continue to Fairbanks for a couple days and then fly home? Rental car is actually cheaper to do one way Anc - Fairbanks, but may be negated by flights (I haven't priced them out yet).

Thoughts? I know Anchorage has a lot of fun stuff in and around the city and Fairbanks has the Hot Springs and a long drive to the Arctic Circle.

Suggestions are welcome.

Not sure what all you have planned for Seward, but I would drop a day there so you can add another day at Denali.

With a 7 year old and a 71 and 85 year old in the group, would there still be enough to do in Denali to add another day? Figured we'd get there early the first day and spend time around the sled dogs and visitor center, next day do the 8 hr shuttle tour and the third day spend a half day doing something (not sure what)...

I think you may be right that I have one too many days in Seward. Were going to do Exit glacier, full day Kenai Fjords tour, half to full day fishing. Was thinking of doing the sea life center and then sled dogs or zip lining as well. But perhaps could do the sled dog thing at Denali instead.