What's the rudest or strangest thing you've seen recently on a Royal Caribbean ship?

There was a well dressed family at the table next to ours. They had several children that wore shoes with skates to dinner each night and whipped in and out around the waiters, nearly upending a couple of them with trays. The parents never said a word. On formal night, they were decked out in what were clearly expensive clothes, including the children...who "skated" into the MDR. We were desperately trying to ignore the chaos. We saw a small hand come out from under our table, around the table cloth and reach onto my son-in-law's plate of food and take the piece of meat back under the table. At least one of the adults (I'm assuming she was a Grandmother) saw this and immediately looked away and said NOTHING. We had to ask our already overworked waiter to bring another plate of food to my son-in-law. At the end of the cruise, we tipped extra to our waiter and assistant waiter because this family was so demanding and rude to the wait staff and they handled it calmly and without leaving anyone out. The family causing all the chaos skipped the MDR on the last night..and this was prior to auto-gratuities. It was the only night they didn't show up so I'm pretty sure they stiffed the waiters on the tips.

I have found that the rudest of people I have seen are the Diamond, Diamond Plus and above. Now let me also state...NOT ALL ARE RUDE!!! I have just seen a great many.

I have an extremely hard time watching these people try to throw their weight around, belittle staff, cut in line, make demands, and threaten to withhold tips because they have sailed more than the average person. Not all of us can afford to sail 3/4 of the year. IMO, those of us that work hard all year and choose to spend our money on a vacation should receive the same respect and service as those who think they are better because they are wealthy.

I hope you realize it is not being Diamond or above that causes those people to be rude. Rude people are rude regardless of their cruise history. Being Diamond or above just gives them another opportunity to be rude.

Ooooooooh, them's fighting words! I can hear myself now, "Gee, we actually have something in common. I HATE being confined in small spaces with snotty Brits!"

I would have been gobsmacked (as the Brits would say) by the woman's initial comment. My problem would be that I would never have thought of the snappy comeback until 30 minutes or so after I got off the elevator.

That is awful....I thought that some couples may practice their responses together, especially if they were on the prior cruise, but to be told what to say is just not right. The spontaneous answers are the funniest! But now I’m finding out they aren’t spontaneous after all!

We were on the show a few years ago. No one told us what to say or anything. I don’t think this is something that happens normally. People do try to be funny with the answers sometimes. It’s because the questions have been the same questions for the last 50 years. [emoji23]. Maybe they need a few new ones to mix it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just another point of view. Recently got off Grandeur with DH on a scooter. I can happily say our elevator experience throughout the cruise was top notch. Very kind and considerate passengers. Katherine

I agree. We go on the Grandeur every year and must say the majority of cruisers are very considerate when it comes to wheelchairs and elevators. We do not use any wheelchairs but I always allow those waiting to get on before me and have actually got in the way of someone wanting to get ahead of the wheelchair bound person that was waiting before them.

We just got back from an Oasis cruise. Must say, people just do not know to wait for others to get off the elevator before they charge in. Seems like we were constantly having to say excuse us but we wanted to get off before you got on. There were some that did not like having to move or get off so we could depart from the elevator. Did not spoil our cruise, we just shook our heads.

I agree. We go on the Grandeur every year and must say the majority of cruisers are very considerate when it comes to wheelchairs and elevators. We do not use any wheelchairs but I always allow those waiting to get on before me and have actually got in the way of someone wanting to get ahead of the wheelchair bound person that was waiting before them.

We just got back from an Oasis cruise. Must say, people just do not know to wait for others to get off the elevator before they charge in. Seems like we were constantly having to say excuse us but we wanted to get off before you got on. There were some that did not like having to move or get off so we could depart from the elevator. Did not spoil our cruise, we just shook our heads.

If you cruise in Europe, Spanish,French and Italian passengers in particular don't understand queuing and just turn up and pile into elevators without any consideration for passengers who have been waiting patiently.

I would offer the thought that bringing a lap top to dinner is not only rude but kind of sad. If you are so driven to work ... that you can not take time off for a meal, you really are a loser in so many ways.

George in NY

Big assumptions. Or maybe since dinner has a scheduled time, the cruiser didn't have much of a choice? Sure, normally you would just go to dinner later and get the work done, but when you have to be there at a certain time, you may have to do what you have to do. Which means getting work done. Nice that you are so judgmental that you would consider this person a loser when you have absolutely no idea what they were doing or how important it may or may not have been.

Though I guess if someone else at another random table having a laptop in front of them is the rudest thing these cruisers have seen, then they have a pretty solid history of great cruises without the slightest bit of rudeness from other passengers.

I’m sorry, but this sounds so sad to me. No job is worth working 24/7, and not taking the time to “refuel”. Throughout my career, I had some pretty stressful positions, but I knew my time, my family, and my mental health was far more important than any job.

At the time we took our first cruise, my husband was (not by choice) working 24/7. The most we could ever take was a weekend, and even then he would spend most of that in the room, working. So I gave up on even that in favor of an annual weekend camping trip without internet or electricity, so that he had to get away from it for a couple of days.

No work allowed on the cruise. We weren't about to spring for hundreds in internet charges so he could spend more time working, and his employer wasn't going to pay for it, either. The total break from work was a revelation for him, and he started talking seriously about retirement after that. Eighteen months later, he left work for the last time. He has been happily retired for almost five years now, and I love having him present again, without the stress of having to work constantly. My sympathies for anyone who feels the need to work through a formal dinner with their family during vacation.

If you cruise in Europe, Spanish,French and Italian passengers in particular don't understand queuing and just turn up and pile into elevators without any consideration for passengers who have been waiting patiently.

That might explain it. The Oasis does have a lot of cruisers from different countries.

At the time we took our first cruise, my husband was (not by choice) working 24/7. The most we could ever take was a weekend, and even then he would spend most of that in the room, working. So I gave up on even that in favor of an annual weekend camping trip without internet or electricity, so that he had to get away from it for a couple of days.

No work allowed on the cruise. We weren't about to spring for hundreds in internet charges so he could spend more time working, and his employer wasn't going to pay for it, either. The total break from work was a revelation for him, and he started talking seriously about retirement after that. Eighteen months later, he left work for the last time. He has been happily retired for almost five years now, and I love having him present again, without the stress of having to work constantly. My sympathies for anyone who feels the need to work through a formal dinner with their family during vacation.

There is a difference between working 24/7 and being available 24/7. Those who are available to handle critical tasks on a moments notice often have far more free time than those who work 9 - 5. I'm a perfect example. If a huge client of mine has an issue and I need to be available, I'm going to be available. I've stopped on a ski slope half way down to answer the phone which turned into a conference call for 20 minutes. After that 20 minutes, I'm back to skiing. Key fact here... I was out skiing while others were at work. I can come and go as I please, take off any day I want for whatever reason. But again, if something critical comes up and I'm on a cruise, I'll whip the laptop out, no problem. Issues happen, and in my position, I need to be available to address them immediately. I'm not sure why that would bother anyone but they are entitled to their feelings.

There is a difference between working 24/7 and being available 24/7. Those who are available to handle critical tasks on a moments notice often have far more free time than those who work 9 - 5. I'm a perfect example. If a huge client of mine has an issue and I need to be available, I'm going to be available. I've stopped on a ski slope half way down to answer the phone which turned into a conference call for 20 minutes. After that 20 minutes, I'm back to skiing. Key fact here... I was out skiing while others were at work. I can come and go as I please, take off any day I want for whatever reason. But again, if something critical comes up and I'm on a cruise, I'll whip the laptop out, no problem. Issues happen, and in my position, I need to be available to address them immediately. I'm not sure why that would bother anyone but they are entitled to their feelings.

I get customers ring me on holiday.I tell them I'm abroad but if i can help there and then i will but if not i will sort it when i get back home.

On Adventure of the seas on a 3 night trip, there were lots of big party groups onboard. we went to eat in the newly added Italian restaurant around 8pm. There was two very large tables of women in with over 30 of them. we were immediately apologised to by the waiter and we had no idea why. He then added they had agreed for them to come in at 5.30 so that they had left but they were still getting entrees and causing lots of noise. we just ignored them.

however I suddenly had to say to my husband 'don't turn round' and the lady at the next table told her children to keep looking forward at her. One of the women decided they needed to do a boob comparison at the table and three of them started lifting their tops. I got an absolute show, I was sat with my back against the wall and was facing them all.

a guy walked across and asked them if they could allow other diners to also enjoy their meal so all of them started doing 'shush' really loudly all together. Waiters tried to get them to stop and just failed

My husband said he'd missed the flashing and the guy and his wife with the children assured him he'd not missed anything worth seeing.

2 officer arrived and spun on their heels and hot footed it out without saying anything - we just giggled. I was so looking forward to the interaction, the alcohol laced group were actually quite funny whilst offensive

I get customers ring me on holiday.I tell them I'm abroad but if i can help there and then i will but if not i will sort it when i get back home.

And that just proves that everyone has a different scenario, and showing a bit of empathy can go a long ways. I "could" tell them I'll deal with it later, but I didn't get to the point where I'm at in life by doing that.

My wife and I got on an elevator and had a woman who I'll assume was British based on her accent, ask us to "Please exit this lift and find another, I do not want to share a confined space with Americans"

I would have left her some my special scent "Essence of American" from what I had for breakfast before smiling and leaving the elevator :)

I think this woman was on Oasis last time we cruised. It made me NUTS!!! She had 2 dogs in a stroller. OBVIOUSLY not service dogs. If I couldn't being my dog, why was she allowed to bring hers?

Just leave them home!

I think it was worse for us seeing a "dressed to the 9's" dog in a stroller, complete with sunglasses, eating at the dining room table which was a 10 top. The dog was at the end of the table in the stroller, and would eat from the woman's plate or fork and the woman ate from the same plate and used the same fork.

That dog was supposedly a service dog for her diabetic husband, but other than at meals, the dog was NEVER with the husband as she paraded the dog about all the time. People were allowed to pet the dog and it barked quite often. She was so proud that she could bring here dog on the ship. The people at her table complained about the dog, but nothing was done.

A few weeks after the cruise, I was on a roll call for our next cruise and she wanted to join the roll call. She said everyone would remember her because she was the woman with the wonderful dog that rode in a stroller. Those of us who had been on the ship with her previously, certainly did remember her.

We love American people and have visited Florida 30 times.

We are not all trash who call America and the same bigots are reviled by us too.

Sweet of you to say :) I absolutely loved traveling through England and wish I could have seen more. I was so young at the time that I didn't really understand what the problem was, but I'm sure it was something political. Most of my encounters with citizens were wonderful. That summer was one of the best experiences of my life. ( I love Florida too! Wish we were there now, it's so cold here in Illinois :o)

The dining table next to my group's had an individual that one of us nicknamed "Grumpy Cat". Horrible table manners, open-mouth chewer, and had a perpetual scowl on his face. His Traveling-Companion-Of-The-Opposite-Sex alternated between a bored expression and an irritated expression.

The table on the OTHER side had a man who was hitting on his waitress in front of his family in front of his wife and kids.

Dunno which was worse, Grumpy Cat or Mr. Hitter.

Maybe they were all reviewing what they did that day and just reliving it.

And they can't wait to do that somewhere else?

I’m sorry, but this sounds so sad to me. No job is worth working 24/7, and not taking the time to “refuel”. Throughout my career, I had some pretty stressful positions, but I knew my time, my family, and my mental health was far more important than any job.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Very well said. To me no amount of money is worth that stress and family neglect. You only have one life so you might as well enjoy it. You can't take the money with you.

This is the reason I won't go into a hot tub on a cruise ship.

I hope they put in enough chlorine to kill anything like that. Sometimes you don't know what went on in there before you. :eek:

Maybe elevators bring out the worst in people...

Another woman, myself and a couple boarded an empty elevator. Since the man was standing in front of the panel, I asked if he could push the button for 7. The other woman said, yes 7, please.

The man turned around and practically screamed at us, "We're going to 10!!!"

So we went to 10 and the couple got off. We just sort of looked at each other and rode back down to 7. :rolleyes:

There is no way I would have gone up a deck higher let alone 3. I would have gotten in front of him and pushed buttons 7, 8 and 9. :D

I would have been gobsmacked (as the Brits would say) by the woman's initial comment. My problem would be that I would never have thought of the snappy comeback until 30 minutes or so after I got off the elevator.

The French "have a word for that." (of course)

l'esprit d'escalier

;) :)

On a recent transatlantic cruise we sat one table over in the dining room from a couple that brought their “therapy dog” and put him in a chair and pulled the chair up to their dining table for EVERY meal....the dog LITERALLY was eating from a plate with his front paws on the table....the plate was brought to the table by the waiter, the waiter would then rub the dog’s head while the the owners ordered his food from the menu and when his meal arrived the owners would cut the food into smaller pieces so the dog wouldn’t choke....anyway, when the dining room wasn’t opened on port days and the couple had to eat in the windjammer, they got upset that their dog was not given preferential treatment and was asked to keep the dog on the floor.....amazing.....by the way, another couple in the dining room videotaped this every day.....don’t get me wrong, I understand about folks needing their therapy dogs but all I can say is that I would see the dog throughout the cruise licking his private parts and scooting his rear end on the carpet, and all I could think about was his presence at a dining room table, lol......

Big assumptions. Or maybe since dinner has a scheduled time, the cruiser didn't have much of a choice? Sure, normally you would just go to dinner later and get the work done, but when you have to be there at a certain time, you may have to do what you have to do. Which means getting work done. Nice that you are so judgmental that you would consider this person a loser when you have absolutely no idea what they were doing or how important it may or may not have been.....

Of course he had a choice. He could either eat in the buffet or wait an hour or 2. The only time I would think that someone wouldn't have a choice is if they are on a conference call and then he definitely shouldn't be in the MDR.

Obviously it was by choice. If you started taking vacations where there was no electricity or internet and he had to get away from it means that it was by choice. :rolleyes: