Strange steakhouse question

Lee2385

I believe they are charbroiled, cooked similar to Ruth's Chris, extremely high temp. How else would you cook a steak? They are definitely not pan cooked and not baked.

I agree

But you can broil steaks too, but I don't think they are. I think I remember having grill marks on my steak

it's not, if you did the Behind the Scenes tour they explain the MDR kitchen has no open flames. All steaks are baked in the oven, hence the texture. I personally do not like the MDR steaks. The only open flames are the Steakhouse and the outside BBQ.

it's not, if you did the Behind the Scenes tour they explain the MDR kitchen has no open flames. All steaks are baked in the oven, hence the texture. I personally do not like the MDR steaks. The only open flames are the Steakhouse and the outside BBQ.

Um... unless I braindipped, you just answered the OP's question- they were asking about the steakhouse, not the MDR.

**EDIT*** sorry- just realized you DID answer the OP's question earlier, and this post was in response to the later comment about steaks in the MDR! Oops!

I know this sounds like a crazy question lol but... is the steak in the steakhouse charbroiled? It actually hurts my stomach for some reason so I wanted to ask before reserving [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Carnival steakhouse menu shows which cuts are broiled and which cuts are grilled.

In my experience I believe grilled means cooked over a flame.

https://www.carnival.com/~/media/Images/explore/dining/menus/steakhouse-menu.pdf

There are no open flames in cruise ship galleys. Generally, steaks are cooked in electric salamanders, which are like an oven broiler, but without the door, and with a much less distance between the upper element and the broiler pan. They operate at very high temperatures, and commercial electric models can put out several kilowatts of energy. Most steakhouses use gas or electric salamanders on shore.

Um... unless I braindipped, you just answered the OP's question- they were asking about the steakhouse, not the MDR.

**EDIT*** sorry- just realized you DID answer the OP's question earlier, and this post was in response to the later comment about steaks in the MDR! Oops!

Obviously the conversation swayed as it often does on CC, BTW what is braindipped?

For some reason, I was thinking the grill in the steakhouse worked off of superheated steam going through the grill grates. And not open flame.

Motorships like cruise ships generate only saturated steam. It would be highly inefficient to generate superheated steam using the oil burner in the boilers to make superheated steam just for the steak house grill. Also, while it is possible to generate superheated steam using electric elements, this would require an extremely expensive specialty boiler with carbon elements just for the grill.

Motorships like cruise ships generate only saturated steam. It would be highly inefficient to generate superheated steam using the oil burner in the boilers to make superheated steam just for the steak house grill. Also, while it is possible to generate superheated steam using electric elements, this would require an extremely expensive specialty boiler with carbon elements just for the grill.

Maybe a small nuclear reactor would suffice.

Do you have to eat steak? I'm asking because I love steaks but can no longer eat them. When we last went to the steakhouse, only two people out of six in our group got steak. Everyone else ordered lobster, lobster shrimp ravioli, lamb chops. The menu is varied for your entree.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As a former chef who has actually seen the broilers, in two steakhouses, I can assure you that it is a standard, institutional, broiler. There is no charcoal involved. All heat sources in the galley are electric. Fire is the worst thing on a cruise ship and all stoves do not use an open flame. Charbroiling uses an open flame.

Before anyone jumps in and says they have flambe's on some cruise lines and are bringing back Baked Alaska, I have to let you know they are also bringing back a DR staff member with a fire extinguisher nearby. :)

Take care and enjoy your delicious, non charbroiled, steak,

Mike

As a former chef who has actually seen the broilers, in two steakhouses, I can assure you that it is a standard, institutional, broiler. There is no charcoal involved. All heat sources in the galley are electric. Fire is the worst thing on a cruise ship and all stoves do not use an open flame. Charbroiling uses an open flame.

Before anyone jumps in and says they have flambe's on some cruise lines and are bringing back Baked Alaska, I have to let you know they are also bringing back a DR staff member with a fire extinguisher nearby. :)

Take care and enjoy your delicious, non charbroiled, steak,

Mike

And for the Baked Alaska and Creme Brulee, the dessert chefs need to go to a supervisor who has the key to the propane locker on the stern, who will go get the hand torch for the caramelizing, and it needs to be logged out and in.

One of the big problems with flambe is the fact that it would routinely set off the sprinklers, so they have to identify specific areas to do the flame, generally not at each table side.

And for the Baked Alaska and Creme Brulee, the dessert chefs need to go to a supervisor who has the key to the propane locker on the stern, who will go get the hand torch for the caramelizing, and it needs to be logged out and in.

One of the big problems with flambe is the fact that it would routinely set off the sprinklers, so they have to identify specific areas to do the flame, generally not at each table side.

Seems like more trouble than it is worth to flambe