Bought transfer - will we have time to get a quick bite to eat?

iradi8

We bought the transfer from the airport to the hotel (land/sea Alaska). We will have a 10.5 hour travel day and arrive in Fairbanks at 7:30 PM. Can we grab some fast food at the airport before going to the Princess counter? I'm sure we'll be very hungry.

We bought the transfer from the airport to the hotel (land/sea Alaska). We will have a 10.5 hour travel day and arrive in Fairbanks at 7:30 PM. Can we grab some fast food at the airport before going to the Princess counter? I'm sure we'll be very hungry.

I would suggest eating on the plane. Most airlines have nice options at competitive prices. We flew all night and I bought a snack box on each leg of the trip. Worked well for me.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Forums mobile app

Will you be on an international flight? When we had a princess transfer from London Heathrow the driver was waiting for us with a sign and we did not stop for food.

What airline are you flying? We had wonderful food on Virgin Atlantic when we flew to London. Constant food it seemed. Never slept during the 10 hour flight.

Why would you doubt that? You don't even know me. :rolleyes:

With due respect, I don't have to know you when there is a post that is so far from reality and well-supported opinions in the travel industry that there are only two possible explanations: ignorance (literally, not prejoratively) or tastes that are so far out of the mainstream as to not be a reliable source of information about the options available on flights. I will not argue with you about full meals served as part of a flight--those have not improved over the years and are down right gross. But when you are ordering from a menu among the "for pay" options, my experience on Alaska, American, United, and regional carriers has been good over the last five years. Perhaps our tastes differ, but the comment of YUCK indicates a stronger response than that and one that I neither agree with nor find helpful in offering advice on this issue. If the OP tries the on board options and doesn't like them, then they can get something in the airport. But, if they do like them or find them at least satisfactory it is remains a viable option. As I said, YMMV.

Might be prudent to go directly to Princess meeting point and check in with the rep.

That way you wouldn't be holding up the other passengers taking the transfer.

If everyone went to get something to eat, the transfer might be delayed for rather a long time.

If on the other hand the rep was waiting for others to arrive, you might have a chance to purchase something.

On a domestic flight, I suggest you take a 'packed lunch' with you, on an international flight, force yourself to eat something inflight.

When we booked the transfer, we got on the coach to the hotel as soon as we arrived at the airport and got our luggage. It was a short trip to the Fairbanks lodge. We got checked in quickly and ate a good dinner at the lodge.

While you might have enough time to grab something really quick, I wouldn't even try it. The reps. are there waiting for you. Would you be able to scarf down some food knowing someone's waiting for you? I sure couldn't enjoy it. I'd buy something on the plane if you're flying in economy. Some of the food is really pretty decent now and while it may not be very filling, maybe you could grab something in a shop on your way to pick up your luggage and eat it later at the hotel?

While you might have enough time to grab something really quick, I wouldn't even try it. The reps. are there waiting for you. Would you be able to scarf down some food knowing someone's waiting for you? I sure couldn't enjoy it. I'd buy something on the plane if you're flying in economy. Some of the food is really pretty decent now and while it may not be very filling, maybe you could grab something in a shop on your way to pick up your luggage and eat it later at the hotel?

Agree. You might have time, but you might also be causing everybody else to wait for you. Not very considerate.

I would suggest eating on the plane. Most airlines have nice options at competitive prices. We flew all night and I bought a snack box on each leg of the trip. Worked well for me.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Forums mobile app

Your post made me smile...and we wonder what airlines you use :). Recently we saw an article by a very famous chef....who said he never eats anything on planes. The reason? He has been in that industry and knows exactly how they put their meals together, store them, and later serve. Personally, we have had some pretty decent food on a few International Airlines....but only when in Business Class. Like many frequent flyers, if we are flying coach and plan to eat on the flight...we will usually purchase something in the airport and carry it on :).

Hank

Your post made me smile...and we wonder what airlines you use :). Recently we saw an article by a very famous chef....who said he never eats anything on planes. The reason? He has been in that industry and knows exactly how they put their meals together, store them, and later serve. Personally, we have had some pretty decent food on a few International Airlines....but only when in Business Class. Like many frequent flyers, if we are flying coach and plan to eat on the flight...we will usually purchase something in the airport and carry it on :).

Hank

ya, but so does pretty much every big chain quick service restaurant on land.

starbucks gets their food in frozen in bags and lots of people still eat that... in fact, in vancouver, the food facility that makes the airplane food for YVR also makes the starbucks food. it's literally the same.

so i'm not sure eating in a fast food place in an airport vs just eating on the plane really does you many favours when it comes to freshness. ;p

Here's a unique idea; How about brown bagging it? DW and I each prepare one plain bagel with a slice or two of our favorite hard cheese, maybe a thin layer of cream cheese to make it stick. It needs no refrigeration and with a cup of coffee or water makes a satisfying snack. And most likely it's healthier than most commercially prepared food. This of course applies only to the outbound portion from home.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would not, unless it is something that you can pick up and eat while walking (pretzel, etc..) to tie you over.

They have a list of all flights coming in and who is on what flight. They may be transporting several of you to the hotel at the same time and they may sit there and wait for you.

You will probably benefit from a real restaurant near the hotel/in the hotel as opposed to airport food.

Just looked at a review and it appears to have 1 restaurant and 1 Starbucks: http://dot.alaska.gov/faiiap/terminal_foodGiftATM.shtml -- the reviews I read about the restaurant were less than appealing.

I was raised in Fairbanks, and, despite it being an international airport, there's just a small snack/coffee bar where you can purchase ready made items. No sit down restaurant service. Even though you are arriving after a long day of travel, your best bet is to get checked into your hotel, and enjoy a nice dinner at one of Fairbanks' many fine restaurants! If you're staying at one of the Princess hotels, you'll have your pick of several nice restaurants nearby.

After speaking with family in Fairbanks, I guess the food vendor has expanded their menu to include some hot sandwiches and burgers. But, I would still go ahead and get to your hotel, drop your bags, and enjoy a more relaxed meal. If you're staying at the Princess Riverside Lodge, they have a very nice little restaurant on site.

Edited by WildBlueYonder64
Additional information

Thanks, everyone! Very helpful! It's four of us travelling (two teens). I think I'll just bring peanut butter & jelly sandwiches from home and perhaps buy snacks on the plane (or bring some). It's a 10+ hour travel day. Our last leg is over 7 hours, so that's where the pb&j would come in handy!